• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 03:05 PM

Celestial_Okami gave me this idea about a week ago, and I think I've managed to create something playable based on it. I suggest you read the story snippet here to see why it's called such:

After struggling over control of an experimental time machine in an abandoned industrial complex,
both RED and BLU mercenaries get warped back into the middle ages with a broken time machine and none of their
weapons. After calling a fragile truce, both sides agree to set up camps on the outskirts of the "Crash" zone,
and scourge for tools to repair the machine. Thankfully they did bring their personal, on-hand-as-required-by-contract
Australium with them, so all they need is to make rudimentary power (via windmills and other old machines) to get
back to their own time. However, both sides, being the plotting types, also collect/forge their own rudimentary
weapons, with the plan to ambush the other team when the time comes to take the machine to get home.

Right now, since it is in alpha, all I need right now is feedback on the gameplay and layout. Details will come later, of course.

Alright, it's in Beta, so constructive criticism on both detailing and gameplay would be appreciated.

Changelog
Spoiler:

Beta 1:
+Textured everything.
+Detailed a large chunk of the map. More details to come later!
+Added particle effects to the waterfall.
+There is now a "roof" for the Time Machine.
+Prevented players from getting stuck behind the tents inside spawn.

Alpha 3:
-"water" side has a waterfall area, good for snipers to launch arrows at the point.
-removed the "crossover" between the waterfall rocks and the control point area.
-"rock" side has clear paths on where players can walk.
-narrowed down the 3rd floor walkways, and placed both a sheet of glass and a medium health kit on the "circular" part.

Alpha 2:
-added a small rampway in the pond. It is another way to walk onto the 2nd floor of the main building.
-messed with the clipping of the rock path a bit.
-(hopefully) made the 1st floor reactor look safe to walk on (which it always has been, even if it doesn't look like it).
-made ramps up to the 3rd point both wider and fairer for both teams.
-made the 3rd floor walkways more spacious.

Alpha 1: Initial Release

Download Here! Current version: Beta 1

SCREENS
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
"Bonking through the gate is like attempted murder. It doesn't matter if you hit anyone, the point is that you still need to get kicked." - celestial_okami
Posted Image | Posted Image | Posted Image | Posted Image
Need any mapping help? Click here!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click here for my backpack!

#2 Melkyore

Melkyore

Hi

• Administrators
  • 558 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 03:30 PM

I really like how the map looks, but I have two gripes: It's a bit small and looks easy to spawncamp.

Other than than that, it looks like it'll be fun.
I MADE A WEBSITE. IT HAS 1990s HTML GOODNESS

Story Time:On Badlands, I was on the center control point. I tried to rocketjump and my rocket went through a hole in the wooden planks.

#3 otterwolfy

otterwolfy

Law Abiding Engineer

• Members
  • 2783 posts
  • Gamespy ID: clues
  • Minecraft:otterwolfy
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, Engineer, Medic, Spy

Posted January 13 2011 - 04:04 PM

I agree with Melkyor, it does seem fairly small, and easy for Snipers to pick people off from the back corner or even stand by the point and pick people off coming out of spawn. But I do really really love the concept!

#4 Gemini.exe

Gemini.exe

Batteries not Included

• Scrimmer
  • 1716 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 04:06 PM

It looks amazing :3

It like these kind of fortress style maps. Very cool. I think the only gripe I see is spawncampability. Snipers can easily just fire into the spawn, and I'm pretty sure demos can fire over those little loggy thingies. I'm sure after some playtesting it'll turn out great, though ^-^

#5 Dr. Soul

Dr. Soul

ech

• Scrimmer
  • 6921 posts
  • Scout, Pyro, Demoman, Medic

Posted January 13 2011 - 04:12 PM

is this planned on medieval mode?

wel anyways, like everyone said it looks very small, but let's wait for further releases

"why am I the only one here not having a cock here?" -Fox McCrits

"Hey did you know that 4000 cats are eaten in China? Wanna pretend I'm asian and let me eat your pussyyyyy?"-Pikachu on LSD 

#6 Magikarp

Magikarp

Taxi Taxi Taxi

• Scrimmer
  • 1456 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Demoman, Sniper, Medic

Posted January 13 2011 - 04:15 PM

I LOVE IT. It just seem absolutely fun to play on. Could use a little more obstacle near and around the outside, but I love it. It seems pretty original to me, especially if we don't get environmental deaths if we get around the forest for some scout/soldier/demo fun.

#7 Heartlesskev

Heartlesskev

I post a lot!

• Scrimmer
  • 5095 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 05:05 PM

it actually looks pretty nice. gonna download it and see the layout in depth.

#8 Edel

Edel

I fight so that she may go on; For I am just a horse.

• Validating
  • 6008 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 05:39 PM

I usually dont like KOTH, but Im willing to try this out. Seems cool, medieval mode for the win

I agree with Melkyor, it does seem fairly small, and easy for Snipers to pick people off from the back corner or even stand by the point and pick people off coming out of spawn. But I do really really love the concept!

Snipers on koth maps usually do

76561197999586213.png

#9 celestial_okami

celestial_okami

Uh... what? I'm not Sue.

• Banned
  • 611 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 06:09 PM

I think it needs to be widened a bit, to be more square and provide some flanking ability. Nick likes making his maps a little cramped though. xP
Words cannot convey how wonderful life is.

My backpack

#10 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 06:10 PM

Just as an FYI, this map is Medieval Mode. This means that it's all melee weapons, except for a few exceptions such as Mad Milk and Huntsman.
"Bonking through the gate is like attempted murder. It doesn't matter if you hit anyone, the point is that you still need to get kicked." - celestial_okami
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#11 Mr. Chinchilla

Mr. Chinchilla

The Rarely-Seen Man

• Scrim Admins
  • 2562 posts
  • Scout, Pyro, Sniper, Spy

Posted January 13 2011 - 07:14 PM

Loving the concept. Downloading this so I can give it a go when I figure out how (herp derp never played a map in testing stages before derp derp).

You call it crime, we call it smart family business

HcYDqoU.jpg

#12 Dr. Soul

Dr. Soul

ech

• Scrimmer
  • 6921 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 07:19 PM

Downloading this so I can give it a go when I figure out how (herp derp never played a map in testing stages before derp derp).

I thought I was the only one

"Hey did you know that 4000 cats are eaten in China? Wanna pretend I'm asian and let me eat your pussyyyyy?"-Pikachu on LSD 

#13 AdiposeTissue

AdiposeTissue

More like AdiPROse

• Scrimmer
  • 2173 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 08:20 PM

Can't wait to actually play it! =D It's looking great and I love the concept! :)

#14 Goombac

Goombac

The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors

• Scrimmer
  • 3661 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, Medic, Spy

Posted January 13 2011 - 08:42 PM

My biggest issues are probably the playerclips on the rocks and the single spawn door. I think you should have 2, maybe make spawn a bit wider or get rid of a tent. It was a bit too easy for okami to pick us off with the one door. Overall good, and it was fun for the little time I played.

#15 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 08:46 PM

Sorry about the problems joining up. I think the map wasn't quite listed correctly on Nom so people who didn't have the map prior couldn't play.

I'll try to playtest again tomorrow, but thanks for your feedback so far! Keep the (constructive) criticism coming.

#16 Geshin

Geshin

I don't post a lot!

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted January 13 2011 - 11:10 PM

About the thin ramps going up to the top level, didn't seem like many people used them, and as a Spy, I had to be very mindful of the lip on that ramp.

Posted Image

I don't have any recommendations, but I thought I should bring it up.
Posted Image

#17 Draythan

Draythan

My Power Pee will pierce the heavens!

• TF2 Admins
  • 4651 posts

Posted January 14 2011 - 07:05 AM

I should say I hated each and every KOTH map there was... but this one is a really awesome map. Reaching the point seems very balanced and fast, which makes it a good map to rush in and start punching/slashing/smashing/stabbing/piercing people everywhere!
About those ramps Geshin mentioned, I actually go up there to prepare an attack, but it's actually very easy to reach the top and get up IF you are on red, coming from the blu spawn forces you to ninja your way trough the enemies on the point and fight the ones that already managed to get up there. It's actually a really good spot for the medic, spies, snipers and to do a charge attack with the targe but... maybe putting the ramps on different sides? Like, put the one on each side.
For the lower part I'd like some more light because it's really easy to miss your attackers in the dark, specially under the little cave formed by the fallen trees that make a bridge up to the point, it's a great spot for a spy, you can just stab and drop down to evade detection.
Huurrrr... That's all I can think about. Great job so far, it's an awesome map and really really fun to play.
Pd. Add Dinosaurs!!!
Fuck it, I'm out of here.

#18 AdiposeTissue

AdiposeTissue

More like AdiPROse

• Scrimmer
  • 2173 posts

Posted January 15 2011 - 10:59 PM

This is what I was talking about:

Spoiler:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#19 Dr. Soul

Dr. Soul

ech

• Scrimmer
  • 6921 posts

Posted January 16 2011 - 03:51 PM

I really like this one, but I have to say that the little space between the ramps and the cp is really annoying

other than that I got nothing

oh and that there should be something big at the end like an explosion or a beam

#20 Natimus_Prime

Natimus_Prime

Basement-dwelling laborer

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted January 16 2011 - 04:42 PM

Got a chance to play this last night. The upper rim above the cap point needs more access, maybe another set of ramps on the other side, or maybe make it into just small corner squares for sniper/crosbow medic posts. Also, I really like the ramps up to the rock, but it feels like there should be another ramp to get there from the point as well. A good enough sniper with a couple heavies to defend him could conceivably hold the point indefinitely because it's so hard to get up there without going up the side ramps.

Otherwise, seems like a great map. Medieval mode makes it really fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users