• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted January 30 2010 - 02:26 PM

My map for the TF2 Competitive CTF map contest. It's in EARLY alpha BETA right now, which means it has dev normal textures. So please, when you do give me criticism, please focus on the GAMEPLAY (but mentioning the looks is fine too)!

Current Version: Beta 4

Click here to download! Will update this thread after the contest is over. For now, click here to download the latest version!

Screenshots
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

What's new in this version?
Spoiler:
-left side (with previously broken bridge) is now opened up.
-changed up the intel building platform to be more defensible against pesky scouts.
-various detail/optimization changes

"Bonking through the gate is like attempted murder. It doesn't matter if you hit anyone, the point is that you still need to get kicked." - celestial_okami
Posted Image | Posted Image | Posted Image | Posted Image
Need any mapping help? Click here!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click here for my backpack!

#2 Dark1337

Dark1337

AKA Brother Drakness

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted January 30 2010 - 02:58 PM

Congrats on the new map strange.
I am lighting incense because you are a fag. -Tails
Two girls one Common Unix Printing System. -Ubercow
Hit it from the rear for maximum damage. -Me
Fallout 3 crashed again. -Robobobobobatron
Posted Image

#3 Jason

Jason

I'm so fly

• Scrimmer
  • 2214 posts

Posted January 30 2010 - 04:22 PM

nice name ;)

#4 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted February 01 2010 - 09:55 PM

I updated my map to Alpha 2, check the link in the first post to download the newest version.

Do you mind if we test it tomorrow, 5pm PST? I imagine most people would be home by then and we could all test it.
"Bonking through the gate is like attempted murder. It doesn't matter if you hit anyone, the point is that you still need to get kicked." - celestial_okami
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 Jason

Jason

I'm so fly

• Scrimmer
  • 2214 posts

Posted February 01 2010 - 10:01 PM

I will be there

#6 Neh

Neh

Hiya!

• Administrators
  • 3257 posts

Posted February 01 2010 - 10:50 PM

Server updated.

#7 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted February 02 2010 - 05:25 PM

Okay, never testing a map at 5pm ever again.

Well, I got the feedback I needed (sort of), so yeah.

#8 Jason

Jason

I'm so fly

• Scrimmer
  • 2214 posts

Posted February 02 2010 - 07:09 PM

hehe, fix that elevator, then we'll talk ;)

#9 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted February 09 2010 - 07:16 PM

I hate to say it but I may have to cancel this project. The loss of my harddrive means that the VMF for this map is long, long gone.

#10 The Political Gamer

The Political Gamer

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 04:31 AM

I hate to say it but I may have to cancel this project. The loss of my harddrive means that the VMF for this map is long, long gone.

http://www.bagthorpe...drbob/vmex.html Just get the .bsp and you can decompile it and then you can pick up right were you left off. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted February 10 2010 - 02:22 PM

Just get the .bsp and you can decompile it and then you can pick up right were you left off. :)

But all my brush entities will be unassigned. =(

It's worth a try, though.

#12 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted February 22 2010 - 06:33 PM

Alpha 3 is out. Check the link for the new download.

#13 emeraldscorpion90

emeraldscorpion90

SEE?

• TF2 Admins
  • 2907 posts

Posted February 22 2010 - 07:29 PM

Yay, that means you got it working again! :D
Trades.
My backpack.
Tactically Inane Tower Squad (Minecraft)

EA's marketing is a jock running up to you and punching you in the dick for not playing the latest Medal of Honour. It doesn't matter if you play it anyway, you still got punched in the dick.

Oh god they fly and have ass lasers.

#14 ratty

ratty

Double rainbow all the way

• Ratty
  • 13343 posts

Posted February 22 2010 - 07:36 PM

updated if you want to test it

#15 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted February 22 2010 - 08:09 PM

Thanks Ratty. I'll probably test in an hour or so, I have a few things to do right now. Hopefully all the regs will be on at that time.

#16 Wraith

Wraith

Calcium Strength at his command

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted February 22 2010 - 10:12 PM

the main issue that was coming up was that it was very easy to cover the intel area with sentries. specifically it seems like the problem is that the area in question is both A) open and unobstructed so the sentries can see everything, and B) not -so- big that you can get out of their range.

here are the screens i took of what seemed like problem areas and doodles on some brainstormed fixes

the the way the sentries all cover eachother. in white is one change that might help with this, a wall to block LOS, and a slight rearrangement of one of the stairways so it doesn't become too easy to get the intel from that side. I think this might also benefit by making that entrance to the intel area feel 'different', when you have a map like this with multiple approaches to the same room, if there isn't a significant difference between the various entrances it can feel like 'why even have 3 choices if they all take me to the same place"
Attached File  ctf_dammed_a30000.jpg   240.76KB   129 downloads

a way to block the area above the corner entrance from being a sentry nest, sloped roofs
Attached File  ctf_dammed_a30001.jpg   162.34KB   138 downloads

a possibility for preventing the top of the intel building itself from being a sentry nest, while still leaving it usable to players. outward sloping barriers (possibly chain link fence) that can't be built upon and would block a sentry's line of sight, but are still navigable on foot.
Attached File  ctf_dammed_a30002.jpg   168.37KB   92 downloads
Wraith: Please do not harass the female players.
Wraith: Unless it's hilarious. Then they make you an admin.

#17 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted February 22 2010 - 10:20 PM

That really helps Wraith, thanks a lot!

#18 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted March 19 2010 - 01:49 PM

Alpha 4 is out, check the link for the new download.

List of changes:

Alpha 4:
-made the middle ground area wider and more refined, putting more focus on the upper platforms
-widened the intel buildings in each respective teams' bases
-spawn rooms are now on ground level
-changed the inner dam area a bit
-removed to elevator

#19 Geshin

Geshin

I don't post a lot!

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted March 19 2010 - 03:42 PM

You can build teleporters on top of the gate to block your own team's exit on this side of the spawn:

Spoiler:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted March 19 2010 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for catching that one Geshin. I really derped there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users