• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mugi*Donut

Mugi*Donut

Your Friendly Boner in the Morning

• Scrimmer
  • 1590 posts

Posted April 28 2010 - 08:23 PM

How would it be different than from the regular style? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
I once saw Saxton Hale jump a barbed fence on horse, strangle a bear, punch a shark in the face, sign a bill for congress, save a baby from a burning building, break a ninja's neck and still arrive to work on time...ten minutes early....

#2 FlyingHat

FlyingHat

grargh

• Scrimmer
  • 1174 posts

Posted April 28 2010 - 08:26 PM

It's going to take a while to get used to the smaller area to play in, and you might have problems with your cursor going out of the window.

You get the benefit of easily managing chat windows while playing, and being able to switch to other programs quickly.

If you mainly use a 4:3 resolution, using windowed mode will make it easier to create widescreen TF2 footage. It's not nice seeing 16:9 graphics all shoved into a 4:3 screen.

#3 Isotoxin

Isotoxin

Puddishiba

• TF2 Admins
  • 1776 posts
  • Scout, Pyro, Heavy

Posted April 28 2010 - 08:29 PM

Or better yet, you could play TF2 windowed, but set it as your current resolution, making it "fullscreen"!

Makes those alt-tab loadfests go away, that's for sure.

#4 Kingdom's Sword

Kingdom's Sword

I will sword you.

• Scrimmer
  • 3885 posts

Posted April 28 2010 - 08:35 PM

Or better yet, you could play TF2 windowed, but set it as your current resolution, making it "fullscreen"!

this.

If you try to fail and succeed, which did you actually do?

STEAM_0:0:17398697.png

#5 Rat with a Rifle

Rat with a Rifle

I post a lot!

• Members
  • 941 posts
  • Heavy

Posted April 28 2010 - 08:36 PM

There's also a way to get rid of the border around it to make it look completely like you're playing fullscreen even though you're not. I *think* it might increase performance but don't quote me on that. I never tested it out. But, as Iso said, it makes Alt-Tabbing a thousand times quicker and easier.
It doesn't matter how far apart we are. The bonds we've made will remain strong. Everyone's heart is connected to the people they know and trust. It's those bonds that let us all search for our purpose in life. As-long as it's a purpose you believe in, there will always be someone who can help you fulfill it. You, me, and everyone else. There are no barriers.

Our hearts are one.
Posted Image

#6 Mugi*Donut

Mugi*Donut

Your Friendly Boner in the Morning

• Scrimmer
  • 1590 posts

Posted April 28 2010 - 08:37 PM

this.

And how does one go about and do this?
I once saw Saxton Hale jump a barbed fence on horse, strangle a bear, punch a shark in the face, sign a bill for congress, save a baby from a burning building, break a ninja's neck and still arrive to work on time...ten minutes early....

#7 Kingdom's Sword

Kingdom's Sword

I will sword you.

• Scrimmer
  • 3885 posts

Posted April 28 2010 - 08:39 PM

in your tf2's video options there is an option to set your display mode. it is a drop down that should say fullscreen. change it to windowed.

If you try to fail and succeed, which did you actually do?

STEAM_0:0:17398697.png

#8 nosoop

nosoop

shining brighter than the glow-stick techno scene

• Administrators
  • 2192 posts

Posted April 28 2010 - 08:40 PM

If you're not running the game at a consistent smooth 60+ framerate, the game will take longer to reset your mouse to the center, and you'll end up clicking out of the window more than not (if the window's much smaller than the screen). You'll also have to spend some of that graphics processing on all the other open windows too, I think.

Other than that, it's nice to bother steam friends while tf2's dead waiting for the map to change, switch to other programs while you respawn, the obvious bits of not dedicating a full screen to the game.

lsdsteam_zpsbb6c8cc0.png backpackiconforeveryothersteamsignatures
*DEAD* Cloud : PIAKCHU IM GONNA TAKE YOUR SHOE AND PUT IT IN WATER SO NEXT TIME YOU PUT IT ON
*DEAD* Cloud : you'll be like "gross"

M31: my calves are so popular

Spoiler:
Does anyone actually read this spoiler text any more? Forum message me a number from 1~20 and see what happens. It could possibly be magical. [As long as I've seen you around, you're welcome to shoot me a message.]

#9 Touhosu

Touhosu

Tits.

• Banned
  • 774 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Medic, Spy

Posted April 28 2010 - 08:54 PM

There's also a way to get rid of the border around it to make it look completely like you're playing fullscreen even though you're not. I *think* it might increase performance but don't quote me on that. I never tested it out. But, as Iso said, it makes Alt-Tabbing a thousand times quicker and easier.

For the no borders, just set the launch options in TF2 with "-sw" and "-noborder". With a space in between, o' course.
Posted Image

Javan: and stop stabbing people Touhosu

#10 kami

kami

It only matters if it rocks.

• Members
  • 1474 posts

Posted April 29 2010 - 09:38 AM

If you open Steam, right click TF2, go to properties then set launch options and add the following:

-sw -noborder -novid -h... -w...

-sw forces the game to open in windowed mode
-noborder removes the window frame
-novid removes the valve intro video
-h put the height you want the window to be
-w put the width you want the window to be

I prefer to use windowed mode so I can change music, check Twitter, Check Facebook or whatever whilst I'm waiting for respawn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users