• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 10:28 AM

After about 3 weeks of work, I have a new map ready to play called cp_beignet. It is a Gravelpit-style Control Point map (capture A and B, then C to win) that takes place on Manor grounds. Point A is stationed in a Gazebo at the top of a hill; Point B is on the east side of a drained marshland; Point C is atop the staircase inside the manor itself. It uses the custom Swamp theme resources.

A little trivia: Beignet is a deep-fried pastry very popular in New Orleans, usually served with Chickory coffee. RED's base in this map is the number one distributor of Beignet and grows Chickory on its grounds, hence why BLU is trying to take it over.

Click here to download!
Current Version: Release Candidate

Screenshots
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Changelog
Spoiler:

Alpha 1
-Initial Release.

Alpha 2:
-CORRECTLY (hopefully) packed in all the custom content.
-Shortened distance between BLU spawn and point A.
-layout changes to B
-lengthened walk distance from RED spawn to just about every point on the map.
-minor layout changes to C
-minor changes in item spawns

Alpha 3:
-redid RED spawn
-made items more plentiful
-altered A and B somewhat
-altered the exterior of C, such as giving window ledges for people to stand on
-optimization done

Alpha 4:
-minor detail additions
-changed the size and placement of some pickups
-expanded on point C: the RED spawn is on the lower level and further back, there are two "bunkers" flanking C that BLU can take to flank the point, and the point can be approached from 4 sides
-fixed door bug

Alpha 5:
-altered layouts for A and B
-made an extra 2nd-story room on C to make it more defendable
-minor detail additions
-minor pickup edits

Beta 1:
-fully textured map (read: no Dev textures)
-minor detail edits
-minor pickup edits

Beta 2:
-basic detailing pass
-basic skybox implemented
-major layout edits to points A and C
-moved/edited pickups
-prevented players from getting on the roof of the bunker at C
-improved playerclipping on several objects

Beta 3:
-more liberal item distribution
-minor optimization edits
-detailing
-added a more complete skybox
-added a "dirt ramp" at the window entrance to C
-shrunk the balcony of the C building
-gave a little more cover to the entrances to C's outer area
-changed the texture pallet of A's Gazebo and C's inner building to be more "wood-like"

Beta 4:
-more elaborate skybox
-minor optimization edits
-detail pass on point C
-widened the front doorway to the C building
-minor texture edits

Beta 5:
-changed the BLU spawn exits; there is now a "lower" and "upper" exit to each point.
-changed A to have more cover and enabled access to the roof underneath the big RED billboard.
-added cover to B and made it less Sniper-friendly.
-made C less defendable.
-changed cap time for point C from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.
-widened the doors that connected A/B to C.
-various detail edits.

Beta 6:
-numerous detail and optimization edits
-made the back room of C more spacious
-added a small walkway on the upper level behind C
-fixed an issue where players could get on top of a rooftop they shouldn't
-fixed a hole in the ground

Beta 7:
-applied "Manor" theme to point C's Mansion building.
-made the upper left entrance to the C building wider.
-minor optimization and detailing edits.

Release Candidate:
-Prevented Players from getting stuck when traversing the dirt pile in the C building.
-Yet another detail pass.
-Minor optimization.

"Bonking through the gate is like attempted murder. It doesn't matter if you hit anyone, the point is that you still need to get kicked." - celestial_okami
Posted Image | Posted Image | Posted Image | Posted Image
Need any mapping help? Click here!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click here for my backpack!

#2 emeraldscorpion90

emeraldscorpion90

SEE?

• TF2 Admins
  • 2907 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 10:35 AM

Reminds me of that L4D2 level with the hedge maze.
Trades.
My backpack.
Tactically Inane Tower Squad (Minecraft)

EA's marketing is a jock running up to you and punching you in the dick for not playing the latest Medal of Honour. It doesn't matter if you play it anyway, you still got punched in the dick.

Oh god they fly and have ass lasers.

#3 Smyther

Smyther

Certified youtube browser.

• Scrimmer
  • 2493 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 11:26 AM

Oh this looks very nice. I'll be looking out for updates on this one, strangemodule. :)

One thing, the imidiet area around B could use a lot of development. I don't like the look of the fencing around the point and the roof would be almost perfect if it weren't so plain. Can't wait to try it, though!
Capt. Yoshika Miyako: yarrr let's conqeur mexico

Iz so!~ [SWF2]: I'm teaching my friend how to play touhou
Sentry Gun (HatTheTurtle): Have you told them to roll their face across the keyboard yet?

#4 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 12:22 PM

One thing, the imidiet area around B could use a lot of development. I don't like the look of the fencing around the point and the roof would be almost perfect if it weren't so plain. Can't wait to try it, though!

Yeah, it's VERY rough at the moment. I have quite a few layout changes planned but I want to see how gameplay tests go first.
"Bonking through the gate is like attempted murder. It doesn't matter if you hit anyone, the point is that you still need to get kicked." - celestial_okami
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5 OrangeL

OrangeL

I edit every post I make

• Administrators
  • 2937 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 12:42 PM

Somebody watched Princess and the Frog :P

ADMIT IT

#6 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 12:45 PM

Somebody watched Princess and the Frog :P

ADMIT IT

Actually I have yet to watch that. I was talking about this map idea to a friend of mine, who suggested the name based on how the map is a Manor in a sort of southern swampland. My friend is a History major, so he knows all sorts of neat stuff like what Beignet is.

#7 AdiposeTissue

AdiposeTissue

More like AdiPROse

• Scrimmer
  • 2173 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 01:03 PM

This thread made me miss New Orleans. Beignets are soooooo good :3

#8 TheProphet

TheProphet

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 01:14 PM

Looks very nice. I think it would play just fine with 32 people. Good work, once again, Strange. 

#9 ratty

ratty

Double rainbow all the way

• Ratty
  • 13343 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 02:28 PM

added

#10 Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe

A Real Arabian Hero!

• Scrimmer
  • 792 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 03:11 PM

Yay, swamp theme! I have only ever seen one other map done with this theme as a hide and seek map.
Posted Image

#11 Zuul

Zuul

Just stay alive.

• Members
  • 4276 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 04:01 PM

oh la la i like the colors

I will be made a new creature, one bright day.

Posted Image

#12 korushi

korushi

Not good with Photoshop.

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Scout, Pyro, Medic

Posted June 17 2010 - 06:03 PM

The lighting and skybox go together very nicely, best of luck with this map.

One thing, something odd is going on with this brush, It's curves almost look like it's an invalid surface.. (but if it was, the map wouldn't compile, so it's obvs not..)
Er, wait, did you use displacement for that?

Or is it just the preset sphere primitive, cut in half?
(And if you did do that, did you happen to re-size it? (that can cause weird-ness in complex shapes.))

Attached Files

1500 hours in the Source SDK as of November

#13 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 06:34 PM

Korushi, that was a displacement. :P

#14 Zuul

Zuul

Just stay alive.

• Members
  • 4276 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 08:51 PM

• it's a little big-feely but that's both a pro and con
  • kind of reminds me of cp_furnace
  • my game crashed twice while playing/loading, idk what THAT'S about

I will be made a new creature, one bright day.

Posted Image

#15 Gadgeteer

Gadgeteer

Fully Automated

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 09:22 PM

Here's an idea for fixing the spawn: split it up into two spawns. The spawn that's there right now can be the one Blu starts with, then it moves to the new one when A and B are capped. Just a thought.
Go Go Gadget Signature!
Posted Image

#16 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 09:29 PM

Here's an idea for fixing the spawn: split it up into two spawns. The spawn that's there right now can be the one Blu starts with, then it moves to the new one when A and B are capped. Just a thought.

Usually gravelpit-style CP maps keep their spawn location. I'm going to try to shorten the distance a tad.

#17 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted June 17 2010 - 09:50 PM

An Attack/Defend 3 CP game is definitely one of my most favourite mode of the tf2 game. I'm really excited for this map but there are some things I might suggest or things I say that might need to be looked at.

The Spawn:

Minimize the distance going to the A gates. Going to B gates is way shorter than going to A.

The Gate Spawn Area is a bit too big so if a user would try to get out it can get frustrating when there is a sniper across the map
because of the huge amount of walking towards outside the gate.

Point A:

Feels like it favors a lot on snipers and pyros are pretty much very vulnerable in this part especially when trying to get out of the A gate.

The Ramp inside the A gate makes it more frustrating because the offensive cannot really see what is going on outside the gates making it difficult to spot an enemy sniper or an enemy player

Sentry placement doesn't seem to be favored in this point either

Point B:

Most defenders seem to be more direct to A and then to B. Try to find some ways to convince players to go to B then A.

Point C:

There are only two paths to get to point C. Try to create more multiple paths to the building area (not refering to the inside building).
For example, Gravelpit has 5 multiple paths just to get to C.

The sides of the house from left and right side paths needs to have a ramp. (see attached image for what i'm referring to)
From what I've seen a lot of players that used an ubercharge and go in, they start flying towards the ceiling. Leaving the Blue team unable to advance.

Very Sentry sided minimize this.

Distance to the left and right window is a bit too much.

Also the distance towards C can annoy a lot of offense players even though we had a teleporter it didn't help with the huge amount of sentry defense.

Multiple paths to A to B/ B to A:

Hallways are a bit big and favors more the soldier/demoman player than a pyro player.

Distance is also another problem for these paths

Overall:

This map definitely has potential but there are a lot of issues especially with the way the map is designed. Point A is more ideal for snipers and scouts that it creates more problems for the offense. Point B doesn't seem to be favoured by the defending players. Point C should not be that easy to defend with all those sentries. Valve made gravelpit's point C to be more favored with blue team because C was designed to give more momentum for the blue team to create a less stalemate match. This allows the game to flow more faster and much more frustration for the red team as it is one the easier points to capture and sentries have a huge blind spot in this part of C. IMO the biggest part that needs to fix is definitely point C. I understand you were trying to make it harder for the blue team to capture it but the idea of the last point is suppose to be open wide space and action packed for every class. But all action that was happening in Beignet though was from the sentry guns and dispensers. Also I think making the maps really wide can create optimization issues for a lot of players but I cannot judge that right now.

Keep it up though I think the map will work well but I think overall, point C is the one that needs to be worked on the most.

yVRxnqJ.png

-------------------------------------------------

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#18 Grinch Axel

Grinch Axel

Schrödinger's Grinch

• Members
  • 1353 posts
  • Soldier, Demoman, Engineer, Medic, Spy

Posted June 17 2010 - 11:05 PM

It sounds extremely L4D2 Swamp Feverish, except for the gazebo. (There's only two gazeboo's in the whole game, located in The Passing and The parish)

#19 OrangeL

OrangeL

I edit every post I make

• Administrators
  • 2937 posts

Posted June 18 2010 - 11:21 AM

It sounds extremely L4D2 Swamp Feverish, except for the gazebo. (There's only two gazeboo's in the whole game, located in The Passing and The parish)

Game nerd alert!

#20 Jason

Jason

I'm so fly

• Scrimmer
  • 2214 posts

Posted June 18 2010 - 12:01 PM

all the models were purple/black squares when we tried it, thought I should let you know =/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users