Sign in to follow this  
OmegaBlade

World Of Warcraft Is Super-Cheap!

As the thread title suggests, World of Warcraft is on sale. The entire collection of what's out right now (Classic, Burning Crusade, and WotLK) can be bought altogether for just $20 - $10 for Lich King, $5 apiece for the others. This deal runs until November 30th.

Now, here's the gig. My only experience with the game was a 10-day trial period some two or three years back. I got bored with it before the trial period ran out. Lately though, I've been browsing through MMORPGs like Vindictus (which is a keeper in my books) and Lineage II (which...isn't).

So considering this fantastic deal, plus my somewhat-renewed interest in MMOs, do you guys think I'm ready for a World of Warcraft renaissance?

Well, when you consider that the original WoW provides you with one month free, you're essentially getting a month with all the expansions for almost the same price as a one month subscription, the subscription being $15 a month.

I personally say go for it, if you don't like it, it's not like you're paying an exorbitant amount of money. It gives you enough time to get in and get a feel for it and if you like it, you have the first two expansions to help you along and if you don't, you won't have to fork over money for the newest one.

Plus with the latest patch, everything is entirely different and it's a far more interesting experience, especially at the lower levels, than it used to be.

If you got bored with it before your 10 day trial even wore out, then its probably not a type of game you like, so even if it was free, it would still be not worth it. Those of us that are hooked on it, were hooked on it from the first moments.

A lot has changed over the years, but its still the exact same formula.

I both agree and disagree with Ratty. It is basically the same formula, but it has been streamlined quite a bit. Now I haven't been able to play since the Shattering, but I did enjoy the Cataclysm beta a bit, and the remade zones flow a whole lot better, and class progression has been almost entirely revamped, offering more useful and fun skills at lower levels, and removing useless ones entirely. Talent tree defining skills now come at level 10, instead of late game, meaning for example, as a Rogue, in a few hours of play, just hitting 10 you can be teleporting all over the place as a Rogue.

The other thing is that quest quality has sky rocketed since the original release of WoW, and all of the new ideas present in in Burning Crusade and Wrath have been brought to the old world with the Shattering. Yeah, you'll still run into stupid kill quests, but over all, you'll run it to less stuff that feels entirely arbitrary. Like killing boars to make a pie.

The looking for dungeon tool is also a fantastic addition. If you hate questing alone, you can pop yourself in a queue to be assigned a party to run dungeons. The time you wait in the queue depends on your class, with Tanks and Healers getting a party almost instantly, while DPS typically has to wait a while (usually 10 to 20 minutes). Still, it's a great supplement to questing, and a fun change of pace.

But as Ratty said, while the game in general flows much better...fundamentally it's the same. You still quest to level, you still gain new skills every other level, you still auto attack, and you still press the assigned key to use whatever ability is on it. If it's the fundamental game play you disliked, it's still here, and it's not going anywhere.

Personally, I'm okay with how the game played. My only complaint with WoW when I played it was that all the quests felt like the same thing over and over again, which is why I got bored with it. If the flow is improved that much, odds are it'll stick this time.

In any case, I went for the package deal. As soon as I get a free moment, I'll pop in and make some magic happen. But finals start next week, so I need to prepare for that too.

In that case you'll get some enjoyment out of it. Though if you're the type that doesnt get much out of raiding or pvp, you'll probably get bored of it after awhile, but you can just cancel your account when all the fun is used up.