#1 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts
  • Minecraft:MrTinder
  • Pyro, Demoman, Engineer, Medic

Posted January 03 2011 - 10:22 PM

So decided to break out the old 3ds Max the other day and start modeling a nifty new flamethrower for my good buddy the Pyro. Its taking the old proverb "You can never have enough" and the Pyro's pyromania to new heights with an addiction to those old propane gas canisters. Name is a run on of that though not sure if it fits very well. Everything's still a work in progress and still in its early stages. No textures at the moment but I should be getting around to that tomorrow :)

[Old crappy model pictures removed. View newer post for more up to date pictures]

I'll take input and criticism as they come. Hopefully down the road will be submission worthy.

#2 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 10:25 PM

Do not use a green colour that stands out. It doesn't fit TF2.

yVRxnqJ.png

-------------------------------------------------

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#3 Rikachu

Rikachu

I post a lot!

• Scrimmer
  • 981 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Sniper

Posted January 03 2011 - 10:25 PM

So what have you thought of what it's going to do? Like stats?
Also it looks like it shoots mustard and ketchup or something at the moment

#4 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 10:28 PM

Do not use a green colour that stands out. It doesn't fit TF2.

I probably should have mentioned it but thats just the default colors for the objects in 3ds Max. Those are not the textures. Have to figure out UV Wrapping first before I get that far.

#5 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 10:33 PM

I probably should have mentioned it but thats just the default colors for the objects in 3ds Max. Those are not the textures. Have to figure out UV Wrapping first before I get that far.

Thanks for notifying me. I just don't want to see a weapon that shows up very brightly in the game.

yVRxnqJ.png

-------------------------------------------------

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#6 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 10:37 PM

Thanks for notifying me. I just don't want to see a weapon that shows up very brightly in the game.

Shouldn't be a big issue. Got a nice color palette to work with thanks to the contributions page.

Posted Image

#7 Ager

Ager

Shitposter extraordinaire

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted January 03 2011 - 10:50 PM

Typical Pyro weapons often are made from salvaged pieces of equipment (car exhausts, oven grids, bottles of butane, gas pumps, etc.).
What pieces are there in this one? (looks a bit like an adapted leaf blower)

#8 Lucidius

Lucidius

Hey, My friend drew me, woo!

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Scout, Heavy, Engineer

Posted January 03 2011 - 10:54 PM

Honestly, the weapon should denote some of it's attributes and as of now it looks like it has a larger ammunition capacity(not by much, a bit less then double) and it looks like the title is referring to it being big and bulky at the cost of more ammo, but at the same time the width of the pipe that the fuel stores are connected to makes it look like it'de be shooting a SHIT load of fuel out, kinda of like opening a tank and having it all fly out as fast as it can opposed to having a fine spray.

Regardless it looks like because of that it'de be a bit heavier and impede movement but that's all I an really say on it from that perspective.

That said, the front end doesn't look fitting and from the right side the whole thing minus the canisters looks like Samus Aran's arm blast to an extent What kind of theme are you going for? It looks fairly Super Hero (like iron man)/Comical (in the sense that it looks like something that is in a comic book).

Also, a handle near the middle on the top side for the pyro to hold would be nice because the design makes it look like it'de be uncomphortable to hold like the pyro normally does, causing an upward angle or a very strange first person view angle.

The model work its self is fine but i don't understand what the theme is or what your going for.

The handle is really basic looking. I know you're not done the design but the top portion of it should atleast match the trigger so that the trigger can be pulled all the way to the top of the grip without any obstruction, moreover the trigger should look like the top portion of the handle.

Maybe making the connecting pipe a bit smaller would help with that fuel problem?

The canister on the top, furthest back, looks like it'de be a bit obstructing, maybe putting it on the bottom but leaving the forward faing one there would be decent?

tl;dr, reminds me of a napalm cannon more then a flame thrower but it's a decent model.

Edited by Lucidius, January 03 2011 - 10:54 PM.

#9 Zuul

Zuul

Just stay alive.

• Members
  • 4276 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 10:56 PM

I'm likin' that
I'm feelin' the airblast on this one baby.

I will be made a new creature, one bright day.

Posted Image

#10 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 10:57 PM

Typical Pyro weapons seem to be made from salvaged pieces of equipment (car exhausts, oven grids, bottles of butane, gas pumps, etc.).
What pieces are there in this one? (looks a bit like a converted leaf blower)

Got canisters of butane/etc, 4 slim ones and one fat one stuffed into the shell of an old building fan shell/casing, square metal tubes and plates, and yes... a leaf blower.
Spoiler:
specifically used this type of leaf blower as the base. Modern but I think it looks pretty good. Lots of plastic but going to try and make it fit as much as possible without plastic like parts.
Posted Image

#11 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 03 2011 - 11:07 PM

Honestly, the weapon should denote some of it's attributes and as of now it looks like it has a larger ammunition capacity(not by much, a bit less then double) and it looks like the title is referring to it being big and bulky at the cost of more ammo, but at the same time the width of the pipe that the fuel stores are connected to makes it look like it'de be shooting a SHIT load of fuel out, kinda of like opening a tank and having it all fly out as fast as it can opposed to having a fine spray.

This. Going for "more fuel for the fire = bigger fire" pyro mentality. While it is based on a leaf blower I'm not really thinking so much of a compression airblast centric weapon. I guess down the road that depends what Valve would put for the stats. Thats way, way far ahead.

Also, a handle near the middle on the top side for the pyro to hold would be nice because the design makes it look like it'de be uncomphortable to hold like the pyro normally does, causing an upward angle or a very strange first person view angle.

I would actually prefer to have the handle be on the top and the Pyro to lug it around sort of like the heavy does due to weight but I don't know anything about changing ingame hand positions for different models. I'm sure there is a way, just haven't found out how to yet.

The handle is really basic looking. I know you're not done the design but the top portion of it should atleast match the trigger so that the trigger can be pulled all the way to the top of the grip without any obstruction, moreover the trigger should look like the top portion of the handle.

Handle was actually the most recent thing I added onto the model. Definitely not done yet but I'll keep that in mind.

tl;dr, reminds me of a napalm cannon more then a flame thrower but it's a decent model.

Lets hope so. Don't want it to be just a leaf blower :)

Anyways sleep time. Going to grind this tomorrow and hopefully get to texturing.

#12 Lucidius

Lucidius

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Scout, Heavy, Engineer

Posted January 03 2011 - 11:47 PM

Oh awesome! It's based on a leaf blower, you shoulda supplied that picture in your OP.

#13 Kelsonar

Kelsonar

Your Inner Viking!

• Scrimmer
  • 1660 posts

Posted January 04 2011 - 07:10 PM

I can tell you're still going to be working on it, so I won't pick on the details or anything.

To be honest, I think this looks like it could turn out to be utterly fantastic. I would love to see more variety of flamethrowers. (model wise and stats wise)

Zuul: Fish Queen: A pimp named Kelsoback

Soviet Russia: You got kelso.
Soviet Russia: Sentries are invalid

Heartlesskev: HOLY CRAP KELSON, WHEN DID YOU GET SO CUTE?

Cocaine.exe :  kelsonar is a gay ass name

#14 Lucidius

Lucidius

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Scout, Heavy, Engineer

Posted January 04 2011 - 07:20 PM

I would love to see more variety of flamethrowers. (model wise and stats wise)

Thisthisthis

It annoys the fuck out of me with how most everything people try to come up with are just FLAMETHROWER THAT IS BETTER IN THIS SITUATION instead of being different weapons that promote a different play style.

Instead of making a rocket launcher that does more damage and higher speed, why not try a weapon more soldiery? It doesn't always need to be a rocket launcher reskin with different stats is what i'm saying.

#15 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 04 2011 - 07:49 PM

Alright, today's batch of screenshots coming up. Gutted the model a little bit, added touches here and there, and generally just tried to make it more realistic/believable. Now with 100% less funky colors!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Starting to get addicted to modeling now. Keep checking the clock and noticing the hours tick by as if they were minutes.

#16 Lucidius

Lucidius

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Scout, Heavy, Engineer

Posted January 04 2011 - 09:43 PM

Oh my goooooood

The improved angles and lighting in these screen shots show your added model detail alot better then the ones above.

I like the symetry in the additional canisters and the added detail on how they are connected.

I still stick with my initial statement of this being a cannon or function like some flame throwers do (Ballistic Weapons Mod or HL2 Beta Flame thrower) in the sense that you spray napalm fuel everywhere and then light it. Yuo can use this to make traps or trails of fire to block off areas.

You could also use the flaregun or the shotgun (alot less believable but richochet friction?) to ignite it from a distance, and if the jelly is put on a person it could obscure their vision with green and then you could stack fire damage. Perhaps 2 times duration and damage? This would also indirectly increase people's awareness to exstinguishing with the milk, jarate and comp blast and what not.

Blaaaaaah ranting too much. Again the handle is still really rough but you already know this. Maybe you could avoid having the trigger on the back handle and instead have the trigger in the carry handle like you mentioned you where going to use? If you wanted to get realy down to the whole 'theme' thing, you could make this out to be like it was made from spare garage stuff much like the other flame throwers and use a motor cycle handle for the carrying handle. You'de be revving the handle (twisting) to make it shoot out.

#17 Hybrovi

Hybrovi

I believe you have been deprived of your daily dose of jelly.

• Members
  • 1396 posts
  • Minecraft:Hybrovi
  • Scout, Soldier, Demoman, Heavy, Sniper, Spy

Posted January 04 2011 - 09:46 PM

I don't know why but the name reminds me of super mario sunshine

fantastic work so far btw  :P

#18 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 05 2011 - 10:18 PM

Minor update today but I don't expect to be gutting the majority of the model unless something major crops up. Do feel like I should add something more to the front portion of the model but I'm unsure of what without making it look too wacky or impractical. Added a motorcycle handle (thanks for the suggesting btw) for the ignition/hand hold since the original idea I had was crummy. Other minor alterations and additions but overall the model is pretty much set for now.

Posted Image
Posted Image

So for the next day or two here is my plan:
  • Finish up minor details
  • Convert to an .mdl file and import into game.
  • Check to see if animations work with the model and for clipping issues
  • If necessary, adjust model to fit Pyro animations.
  • Work on texturing

#19 Lucidius

Lucidius

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Scout, Heavy, Engineer

Posted January 06 2011 - 06:18 AM

Holy shit, that handle looks so much better. My only nit pick is yeah, the View model might look a bit boring because there isn't anything on the end of it but I don't really see what you could add on there.

Also, the Motor Cycle Handle looks a bit under scaled. Maybe pushing it in a little and making it larger by 1.1x1.1x1.1?

It definatly is missing something (other then a pilot light).

Which do you plan on making this for btw? Flame Thrower, or unlockables? I can help you compile some what (view models), as i've done arm models before.

Edited by Lucidius, January 06 2011 - 06:18 AM.

#20 Smoke Ice Cream

Smoke Ice Cream

I post a lot!

• Members
  • 1272 posts
  • Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, Engineer, Medic

Posted January 06 2011 - 06:48 AM

u know...from the name Overflow, aside from making me think of a huge ammount of ammo needed for attack, but kinda makes me think of...lava. Like this flamethrower, might be a flame spewer instead. From the design, it might be a weapon the pyro would use to create a huge fire slick or caustic liquid.

or else, it'll be a bigger fireball coming out of it. Overall design is great, although I can't help but feel if the Pyro would look like he/she'll have an awkward look when holding the weapon, mabe add a small handle to the side or elevate one of the side bars into a handle of sorts.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users