Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Tinder

Tinder's Modeling Depot

Wow, that bend you added into the pipe makes me think even more of motorcycle parts. I'm sorry if i'm killing your original design of a leaf blower :(

Posted Image

ALso, the part that the canisters connec tto remind me of Posted Image

The new angle on the handle looks really nice.

You could probably even recycle the handle from the engineer's tool box for the carry handle, jigglebone and lock it on an axis so it can only flip around.

Wow, that bend you added into the pipe makes me think even more of motorcycle parts. I'm sorry if i'm killing your original design of a leaf blower :(

Don't worry about it, it had mostly to do with ingame function. The left hand placement clipped completely into the base of the old nozzle so I had to mess with the model a bunch to get everything lined up properly. Finally got that all done today :)

Speaking of which here is today's batch of screenshots. Thinking of working on texturing this bad boy tomorrow so I can get a look how it looks ingame without the basic purple n black checker boxes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hexagonal holes, hmm? I wonder if it'd be better off without holes, if you're going with a motorcycle theme...

The normal flamethrower has the same type of holes so I decided to keep with the style of it.

Posted Image

So they do. They seem a little softer than yours though... Maybe it's just because there isn't a texture...

That and probably smooth groups. I haven't messed too much with those but I can probably make it look a lot softer.

Heres how the default flamethrower looks in 3ds max with no smooth groups.

Posted Image

sounds like a flamethrower that would have insane burst but just as insane ammo use, it would most likely be used by pyro with dispensers nearby

Hey, you could prolly texture those holes on better then you can model them. THey won't have the depth but it'de be alot less rendering.

Transparent texture, punch holes into it and then burn the edges of where the hole meets the metal mesh.

I don't mind the hexagonal holes myself because once it's smoothed right and when the textures are on it it'll still look good.

Also, i'm super sure that rotations store with models, so if you had a clipping usse you could hve just rotated the model back some.

A leaf blower with a motorcycle exhaust pipe... Would look cool, and it would make more sense than having the flames spout out of a plastic funnel :/

A leaf blower with a motorcycle exhaust pipe... Would look cool, and it would make more sense than having the flames spout out of a plastic funnel :/

its a good way to sum up the design of the Overflow overall. But the size of the holes kinda...or say could use a little bit of a reduction. But, it could make it spectacular if the flames were to come out of the holes too, aside from the obvious big nozzle

Well had to get rid of the holes in the nozzle due to it looking sort of wonky and causing some smoothing issues with the polygons there. Bit of refinement here and there but otherwise mostly unchanged.

Also... Ingame Screeshots!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looking good and lots of that phong shininess. Generic texture at the moment but should be textured in the next day or so :)

Nice, that looks pretty cool in game! Good work. :3 Can't wait to see a textured version of this!

you should edit the POV, it's pointing to the right and rotating it via the QC file should fix that a bit.

You know what, this has inspired me to have another shot at modeling. Now just to learn everything I can about 3ds max -.-

Tinder, how did you learn? where you self-taught or did you learn from a pro or online or what? I'd love to know!

you should edit the POV, it's pointing to the right and rotating it via the QC file should fix that a bit.

I'm a bit confused by your post. Do you mean the first person perspective on the model is rotated oddly? Currently the Pyro's hand positions and the flame particles match up correctly on the model so I'm not sure.

Tinder, how did you learn? where you self-taught or did you learn from a pro or online or what? I'd love to know!

Self taught long, long ago when Halo CE was popular (thats Halo 1 for the PC with a lot of customization). Originally for trying to make maps but never really finished anything and the program hoops to jump through to get a map made. Probably cause it was Gearbox and not Bungie that ported the game over to the PC that made it hard as hell to make anything for the game. Since then I've just been fiddling with it and Source SDK on an off a couple of times but I'm still not fluent with 3ds MAX or the lingo. Only stuff I've learned from someone else was either through a tutorial or from the occasional question I throw towards a friend who makes a living as a modeler at EA.

The hands are in the right spots, it's just they are rotated in a way that makes the weapon go away from the crosshair instead of towards it. I don't use view models or flamethrowers often so I can't really tell if that's how it's supposed to be.

The hands are in the right spots, it's just they are rotated in a way that makes the weapon go away from the crosshair instead of towards it. I don't use view models or flamethrowers often so I can't really tell if that's how it's supposed to be.

Oddly the first person perspective and the world view don't match for the flamethrower. In first person the flames shoots slightly diagonal towards the center of the cross hair while to everyone else the flames are shooting straight forward. A similar example would be the Degreaser which also has a forward facing nozzle. I could twist the nozzle slightly but I don't think it will be that big of an issue.

Anyways getting close to being done with the UV Unwrapping process, it takes a lot of patience to adjust all the faces into a 2d format. Shifting through some errors an anomalies but by tomorrow I should be done with that and at least have a very rough texture completed.

Looks excellent! I have a teeny tiny question: people around here said that the nozzle looks like a motorcycle's exhaust. Are you going to apply this? Untextured, it looks as if it could either be the original leaf blower's plastic nozzle (which wouldn't make much sense, I'm pretty sure they aren't made of fire-proof bakelite) or a shiny chrome exhaust?

Looks excellent! I have a teeny tiny question: people around here said that the nozzle looks like a motorcycle's exhaust. Are you going to apply this? Untextured, it looks as if it could either be the original leaf blower's plastic nozzle (which wouldn't make much sense, I'm pretty sure they aren't made of fire-proof bakelite) or a shiny chrome exhaust?

I was thinking shiny chrome exhaust. While the motorcycle exhaust looks good too it would seem obstructive to the actual fire not to mention I'm sure the Pyro isn't worried about staying quiet while burning the other team so a muffler would seem odd.

Alright, ingame textures are completed!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think its about ready for submission but I'm probably jumping the gun on this. What do you guys n gals think? If anything the weakpoint at the moment is the textures since I've never really done it before and its the most resent addition.

I think the texture could use some work.

I wish the pyro could have a backpack cuz this thing needs to spew napalm or something. Regular fire is far too wimp for The Overflow!

Alright then, wasn't just my mind playing tricks on me then. Other than the actual textures does the color scheme for the layout work out well?