Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Tinder

Tinder's Modeling Depot

Colour scheme looks fine but needs some touches, right now everything looks too shiny/plastic-like - maybe add flames on the side like the engi's hotrod :V

Kay,

1) I don't think all of the tanks should be the same color as they look to be different tanks (the ones that arn't the same shouldn't look the same moreover)

2) For the smaller tanks you COULD recycle some of the canister textures from HL2, same with the propane tank. Everyone will have these textures.

3) A better color scheme for the body of the flame thrower (where the engine would be and where the tanks connect) should be inverted, the darker colors should make up the bulk of the cicular part and the ntus should be silver.

4) The grip needs to be a motor-cycle grip so darker then the rest of it. The phong should be non-existant here unless you go with a plastic grip, in which case it should be bump mapped to have a grippy design.

5) The 'chrome' isn't chromey looking enough. I'll get you tutorial after I get supper.

6) The phong looks a bit too bright no the gas tanks, and they lack any detail.

7) For the propane tank you could borrow the textures from the default one.

Keep in mind these are all just suggetions.

Edited by Lucidius

Like Lucidious said: the weapon's main colour should be dark, so it contrasts with the Pyro's chest area. Use more colours out of the TF2 pallet: metal grey for big and plain areas, rusty metal for variation on spots like that welded patch, orangey yellow for small details, and so on. Lighting is also important: like the others said, the tanks look like plastic, because they reflect too much light.

One more thing: typical TF2 textures have hints of brush strokes on them, besides other details. It makes the textures more interesting. Take the Shovel, for example, which has broad, parallel strokes over the spade's head and the wooden handle:

Posted Image

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll try to refine the texture as much as I can but since Valve doesn't want texture files larger than 512x512 plus multiple items in that same space I don't have much room to work with. Suppose I could start out in a larger format and downscale afterwards but that could cause some major pixilation. I could break up the texture into multiple textures but I'm not sure if thats allowed or if that would make a mess since I already UV Unwrapped everything. If anything I just need to optimize the UV map so the small items are actually small and vice versa so I don't have a huge texture space for tiny objects or a tiny space for a large object.

Tut on brushed metal; http://www.gamebanana.com/tuts/8872

Tut on dodge and burn tips; http://www.gamebanana.com/tuts/7297

Tut on making holes in a texture; http://www.gamebanana.com/tuts/6270

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED METAL TUT; http://www.gamebanana.com/tuts/6125

I've known Millenia since like '02, he is texture god.

Materials (it's got chrome thar); http://www.gamebanana.com/tuts/2395

Edit: 512x512 is enough, that used to be the texture cap for goldsource and we've had some beautiful shit.

Edited by Lucidius

2) For the smaller tanks you COULD recycle some of the canister textures from HL2, same with the propane tank. Everyone will have these textures.

I don't recommend this, since TF2 uses a highly different art-style. Using HL2 textures in anything TF2 will result in something looking just "off". This happens with maps too.

I don't recommend this, since TF2 uses a highly different art-style. Using HL2 textures in anything TF2 will result in something looking just "off". This happens with maps too.

Good point but recyling frmo default flamethrower or the pyro's backpack is a viable option.

Yeh, I'd prefer to try and create my own textures rather than ripping it from another source. It might be quicker but I don't learn anything from it in the process. Thanks for posting those tutorial as well though the burn/dodge tool tips don't really apply to Team Fortress 2 textures for two reasons. The first is the art style which is semi-cartoonish in design and the second is that weapons are dynamically lighted ingame. Two examples. The first being the default Flamethrower texture and the second being a screenshot I posted a page back in which I only used a plain gray texture for ingame rendering.

Posted Image

Strong coloration and brush variation but limited to no complex texture shading. Still some darkening for some shadows but the ambient textures I exported from 3ds max I should be good. Example of that is below. Still just black and white but its a good starting point

Posted Image

Next is the prior screenshot I posted that shows of the ingame lighting.

Posted Image

As you can see the lighting on the weapon model is rendered dynamically. Definitely will save time from having to try and make everything shine in the textures themselves. I still "bake" a ambient texture for generic shading/shadows that I'm using as the base of the texture (see above). If anything after I refine the textures I need to figure out how to adjust the phong settings so that the model isn't so shiny but still that I can adjust it depending on the object.

posted mostly because it'de help with chroming, which i've yet to see in TF2 anyways.

As for 'texture ripping' being lazy, it'de say it's more so borrowing from something in the TF2 verse, making it feel kinda familier and reducing file sizes.

I still will probably use the burn/dodge tools on some of the smaller things or just the part that is actually suppose to be chrome. Like I said before if I can figure out how to adjust the phong levels seperately for each object on the model I could easily do that but I think the phong settings are applied to the whole model.

If I'm confusing anyone with what "phong" is its the ingame lighting effect that gives the model its shine. The more you know.

posted mostly because it'de help with chroming, which i've yet to see in TF2 anyways.

As for 'texture ripping' being lazy, it'de say it's more so borrowing from something in the TF2 verse, making it feel kinda familier and reducing file sizes.

Actually, it wouldn't reduce filesize, since you have to download the whole texture again anyway. Each texture is mapped to a specific weapon, you can't just pull several textures together and not have to download anything.

Actually, it wouldn't reduce filesize, since you have to download the whole texture again anyway. Each texture is mapped to a specific weapon, you can't just pull several textures together and not have to download anything.

This is where you are wrong.

the TF2 player models have around 20~ textures per player model.

Mainly, the head testures, body, and some accessories are all seperate textures.

When you Specify texture directories in the QC, the only restraint is that the textures need to be in the materials folder. On top of this you can pull textures from multiple sources on one model.

It's possible to make custom weapons that use default textures frmo a bunch of default weapons, go take a look at some of the Default CSS Mashup guns. You only need to download the model because the textures are already there.

But hey, I totally havn't compiled view models using 3 different file destinations and several versions or anything. Don't take my word for it.

Edited by Lucidius

This is where you are wrong.

the TF2 player models have around 20~ textures per player model.

Mainly, the head testures, body, and some accessories are all seperate textures.

When you Specify texture directories in the QC, the only restraint is that the textures need to be in the materials folder. On top of this you can pull textures from multiple sources on one model.

It's possible to make custom weapons that use default textures frmo a bunch of default weapons, go take a look at some of the Default CSS Mashup guns. You only need to download the model because the textures are already there.

But hey, I totally havn't compiled view models using 3 different file destinations and several versions or anything. Don't take my word for it.

You might be right. Regardless, borrowing textures from other sources probably shouldn't be top priority at this point. If valve were to consider implementing it, it wouldn't really matter if there were new textures or not, would it?

I know the part about setting up additional materials in the QC file but to achieve it on the model end I would just basically split the UV map down into other objects and then just texture those object separately correct? Would be really useful because I could have one texture file for the larger surface area objects and another for the rest but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that with a submission. Do know that the flamethrower has some separate shader texture files from the main texture so could open up other possibilities.

Do know that the flamethrower has some separate shader texture files from the main texture so could open up other possibilities.

Unless you mean using it a reference, then I linked something that explained that shader texture already. Exponent Map. If you meant using it as a base, then yes it could help you see how they do it.

Ninja Bump: I see you in game testing textures :3

Ok, reworked on the textures as well as adjusted the phong so it didn't look like it was a plastic toy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Reaching the finally, just got to make a BLU version of the texture and fix the physical model. Clipping issues if the player is killed and the item drops.

Yeah It still looks a bit 2d (if you know what i'm getting at)

The colour patterns are okay, but I think the textures are a bit on the bright side.

Well a big herp-a-derp on my part. Apparently the reason the textures were really dull and hard to see ingame is because I was compressing the texture file whenever I converted it into its .vtf format. Here is what the prior screenshot should have look like.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, that is better tinder, but imo, it could still be better. I'm no good at anything like this so I'm not going to attempt to point you in the right (more likely wrong) direction.

.Much better! Still, the canisters on the left look a tad too bright. Maybe you could put a "flammable contents" sticker on it: it'll break up the texture, and give something to look at in 1st person view.

.Much better! Still, the canisters on the left look a tad too bright. Maybe you could put a "flammable contents" sticker on it: it'll break up the texture, and give something to look at in 1st person view.

I like this idea. It fits with the propane tank look, but breaks up the texture.