Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Tinder

Tinder's Modeling Depot

Alright, implemented the flammability warning signs on the tanks as well as adjusted color and detail balance. Even bumped up the ingame resolution to make it less jagged looking on the edges, etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also got the BLU texture set done as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now just to look over everything a couple more times and I think I might be all set. Textures not as huge of a success but still pretty good considering my actual artistic skills.

Sorry I haven't been following this thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned or not.

It looks great so far, but it still seems a bit out of place in TF2. The model is great, it's just the texture. As has been said, it's too bright, or should I say, clean. Now I know that you're going with a bike theme here, which is fine, but if the texture reflects a new bike with bit accents and chrome, it's almost missing the point. The point being that this weapon was (supposedly) made from salvaged parts. How often are salvaged parts in new condition?

In other words, in my opinion the best way to improve the way it looks is to make it look worn out, or at the very least antiquated. To go about doing so, my suggestion is to throw in some rust here or there. Perhaps a coating of dirt/dust. Maybe even mud, as though it was dropped in a puddle or some such. 

In addition to that, another thing you could do is replace the black bands that are holding the weapon together. The reason I think this is because those bands look too clean, or rather too refined. Instead you could use oily rags or maybe chains (like bike gear chains) to give it a more 'randomly thrown together' look. A good reference point are the bands that are wrapped around the head of the Powerjack. 

Again, just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. 

texture looks great but it doesn't seem to have that brush like paint texture. I don't know to me it doesn't look like it even though i can clearly see where it is though. Keep it up though.

Edited by kingddd

Belts, use belts to hold them together. Like Pant belts.

I appreciate you adding the stickers, but the one on the left canister (the one you see in 1st person view) is still a bit small, and it melds with the canister's colour. Maybe you could use another colour to stand out more, like the orangey-yellow from the game's colour scheme, and make it a bit bigger, perhaps.

Posted Image

Also, have you tried differently-coloured stripes on the canisters? Like a broad white stripe on the bigger one, maybe.

Sorry I haven't been following this thread so I don't know if this has been mentioned or not.

It looks great so far, but it still seems a bit out of place in TF2. The model is great, it's just the texture. As has been said, it's too bright, or should I say, clean. Now I know that you're going with a bike theme here, which is fine, but if the texture reflects a new bike with bit accents and chrome, it's almost missing the point. The point being that this weapon was (supposedly) made from salvaged parts. How often are salvaged parts in new condition?

In other words, in my opinion the best way to improve the way it looks is to make it look worn out, or at the very least antiquated. To go about doing so, my suggestion is to throw in some rust here or there. Perhaps a coating of dirt/dust. Maybe even mud, as though it was dropped in a puddle or some such. 

First post in this thread too, but I'm been reading it for a while.

I agree with the idea of a rusted chrome exhaust. But instead of using words, and with the power of Photoshop, I made some... alterations that I think would be good.

post-8012-0-68342800-1295363657_thumb.jpg

Does the exhaust use a reflection (as in using the envmap), Mr. Tinder? I think it would make a better contrast with the plastic leafblower parts.

Anyway, nice weapon. I really loving the model shape, it's so... simply perfect!

EDIT: Just noticed - where's the pilot light (if any)?

Edited by MisterL

While some of the idea I really like such as using a chain to hold the pipes together it would crate a 2 part issue. First is that I'm already edged somewhat close to the polycount limit with it currently being about 5400 and since a chain would be polygon heavy due to all the individual links it might push it a little too close or over. Second being that realistically you can't stretch a chain tight enough to hold an object towards another like you can with a strap. While you can hold things loosely together the roundness and the material don't allow it to be set firm. The other ideas mentioned was about the chrome exhaust pipe. I decided to go with a slightly alternative design due to the fact there isn't a real heavy use of real world reflections on weapon models and due to ingame lighting effects. Just like the chain I went with realism based on the time period. Excerpt from a wiki page.

In the US for the short production run prior to the entry into the Second World War, plating was banned to save chromium and the decorative pieces were painted in a complementary color. In the last years of the Korean War, the banning of chrome was contemplated and several cheaper processes (such as plating with zinc and then coating with shiny plastic) were considered.

Since Tf2 takes place in the 1950's this is somewhat relevant. We can assume then that the exhaust pipe is either plated with an alternative or poor method or perhaps its not even coated at all. Also the fact that exhaust pipes are rather small in diameter would imply that the nozzle is in fact made of a stainless steel pipe of some sort that has been cut to look like an exhaust pipe. If you really wanted to stretch it you could say the larger size is due to the artistic design of the game to give exaggeration to some details.

After passing some screenshots around to some offsite buddies of mine, some who are in the game industry or aspiring as myself to get in says it looked rather well even though I was pessimistic about the textures still. After a bit of thinking, planning, and organizing thing and fixing a few minor details I decided to go ahead and submit the Overflow to Valve. Thanks again everyone for the assistance even if my artistic skills were not up to scratch

Now I could sit around and twiddle my thumbs till I hear something or for the next update but I'd rather keep on trucking with something else, a hat that is. Currently torn between a couple of ideas for the Pyro: A fighter pilot helmet, oldschool diver's helmet, or a fire proximity mask. Examples below

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If anyone perhaps has another idea or a suggestion feel free to chime in.

oldschool diver's helmet

Posted Image

In other words: DO IT!

So, got a base for the hat design all set up now. Definitely a lot easier than making a weapon but quite a bit more restrictive polycount size. Already close to hitting the limit of 800 without optimizing it at all. Anyways, base design of the hat currently. Originally took the grenades off the Pyro model since I was thinking of the chest piece that attaches to the helmet but I think I'll put that back on later since now it won't clip with the helmet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thinking of doing the lower portion that attaches to the helmet though due to polycount size and the odd hunched posture the Pyro has it would be difficult at least without any clipping.

Do you plan on just using black glass or something? Like making it non-transparent so you can't see in.

Good job on the model so far.

Do you plan on just using black glass or something? Like making it non-transparent so you can't see in.

Yeh, at least if the hat is just going to be for the Pyro. Otherwise I'll try and make it transparent.

Speaking of which I'm going to have a "fun" time getting the positioning on this hat correct ingame. Currently the rim of the neck has clipping issues on the right side and the only good way I can set this up is if the main view-port is almost facing downward. Looks really, really odd. On the bright side using the bones from the Foster's Facade works well other than the mentioned depressed looking Pyro but I can't figure out what trigger/flag their using to remove the default Pyro mask ingame.

Is Foster's Fascade a hat? I figured it'de be a sub-model or something silly, like the Gunslinger and how it's built into the engineer model. (expet views)

You'll prolly need to make the hat a specific body group and that's all.

Is Foster's Fascade a hat? I figured it'de be a sub-model or something silly, like the Gunslinger and how it's built into the engineer model. (expet views)

You'll prolly need to make the hat a specific body group and that's all.

It technically is. Its located in the same directory as all the other hats but has about 3 extra bones in its model. None of them seem to influence the default Pyro's mask visibility though.

As for the specific body group I am not seeing it. In the .qc file for the mask it is listed under the "Body" group just like all the other hats.

i mean the pyro player model.

Also, you do realise that most QC's are _broken_ and not how they re actually compiled on as their default counter part should be, right? The Decompiler you're using unless there's been a releease of a new one was for 2002 source models, all these new commands and model styles and shit break it up and it spits out broken QCs.

Precicely the reason my bottle was broken for a while, and sniper rifle.

Opening SDK to have a looksie @ player model and mask...

Edit: To remove the pyro's head on the player model you need to make it sub-model 2 in the body group "head", so you'll need to compile your hat or A hat to play round with sub models

Edited by Lucidius

Well due to some clipping and placement issues I've decided to adjust the placement on the Pyro of the helmet. Now a rather loose fitting but works well due to the numerous head movements ingame. As for the helmet size being smaller than in real life it has to do with headshots. If I make it too big then Snipers or other headshot weapons wielders would have a harder time. Anyways, first batch of ingame screenshots.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As for a name I'm thinking of either "the Nautical Mile" or 2 Leagues Under"

Really took a bit of a curve here. Redid the base of the model to look a lot more spiffy. I'll let you be the judge if that is true or not.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It does look good, although without textures, old timey diving helmet wasn't the first thing to pop into my head... well to be honest nothing popped into my head.

It does look good, although without textures, old timey diving helmet wasn't the first thing to pop into my head... well to be honest nothing popped into my head.

As much as it would help with the visuals texturing is usually the last thing to do in the modeling process. Won't be nearly as long as my last model due to the 800 polycount cap. Slightly over it at the moment but once I add minor details and optimize it I should be good to go on texturing.

Also forgot to mention but the helmet doesn't move when the Pyro's head would normally move but does with the rest of the body like a real helmet of that type would.

...old timey diving helmet wasn't the first thing to pop into my head...

Posted Image

I AM WELDING THIS DOAH!

Posted Image

Edited by Lucidius

Finished up the 3d minor details and now it looks more like a diving mask than a welding mask. ;)

Can't really add anything else at this point due to the polycount limit. Technically slightly over by a good 200 but the other Pyro hats such as the Pyromancer and Merryweather have similar polycount numbers so I think I'll be safe. Now just got to UV unwrap things and get started on texturing. Should be a lot easier since the base color has to be white for all of the paint effects in addition to a default coloration. Will be easy compared to the Flamethrower.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally finished UV unwrapping, "baking" the ambient shadowing onto it, and completing the base texture for the model. All the other colors are added on top of the base texture ingame as well as serving as the white paint color. Tried to grab a variety of colors ranging in saturation and brightness without taking a screenshot of every single one.

Base Texture/White.

Posted Image

Grey

Posted Image

Black

Posted Image

Team Spirit (Red)

Posted Image

Dark Green

Posted Image

Tan

Posted Image

Just need to figure out what color(s) I want the texture to be for the default coloration and this helmet is pretty much done :)