• Please log in to reply
622 replies to this topic

#21 TYV

TYV

Jimmy Points

• Members
  • 1368 posts

Posted January 07 2011 - 11:15 PM

Perhaps put a few evenly spaced holes on the tip of the weapon. Sort of like a hot-rod's exhaust pipe. See if you like that, I'd think it'd look nice on it.
EDIT: Picture included to clarifywhat I was talking about (sorry for using old picture)
Attached File  dwald5z1.jpg   49.77KB   30 downloads

Obviously if you did try this it wouldn't look quite as much like swiss cheese (nor would It be yellow by default)
"You should understand that I understand that I am dealing with forces that if handled recklessly will nullify the ability of intelligent beings in all real and hypothetical planes of existence to give a shit."

#22 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts
  • Minecraft:MrTinder
  • Pyro, Demoman, Engineer, Medic

Posted January 08 2011 - 01:08 AM

Perhaps put a few evenly spaced holes on the tip of the weapon. Sort of like a hot-rod's exhaust pipe. See if you like that, I'd think it'd look nice on it.

Obviously if you did try this it wouldn't look quite as much like swiss cheese (nor would It be yellow by default)

I know what you mean. Something similar to what the Pyro has on the end of his propane tank on the default flamethrower. Ironically I've changed the design a bit which makes this more appealing idea...

Speaking of which, I was able to import the model ingame to check for clipping issues and behold I found them. Had to really gut the model to make it work with the Pyro's posture but overall I think it work out for the better. Not only did it help refine out the idea of what the flamethrower should be (going for motorcycle part while still keeping to the "lots of canisters" idea) but also help make it look better too.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Top most propane tank looks like its hanging there but its the spot where the Pyro carries the flamethrower with his left hand. Trying to work around that first and making it look sturdy after that. Good friend of mine suggested perhaps making the large tank on the side transparent and filled with liquid fuel (similar to Jarate or medic weapons) though I don't know how to do jigglebones at the moment. Good idea down the road though.

Also I'm iffy on if I should flip the model around from left to right where the armor plate faces away from the player, which would be more logical but currently with it facing inwards towards the player looks better. Any preference one way or another?

#23 Ager

Ager

Shitposter extraordinaire

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted January 08 2011 - 02:29 AM

I like the way the tanks are arranged now. Just one question: how is the Pyro going to hold the weapon with is left hand? Is he going to hold one of the tanks?
If all else fails, you can weld a simple handle on the side (like a wooden barbecue grill handle or something)

Spoiler:
Posted Image

#24 otterwolfy

otterwolfy

Law Abiding Engineer

• Members
  • 2783 posts
  • Gamespy ID: clues
  • Minecraft:otterwolfy
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, Engineer, Medic, Spy

Posted January 08 2011 - 03:13 PM

I agree on the attached grill handle of sorts, but so far this is looking fantastic! Your work is coming along nicely! :D

#25 emeraldscorpion90

emeraldscorpion90

SEE?

• TF2 Admins
  • 2907 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 03:23 PM

I kinda agree with Jimmy, maybe holes would make it look good?
Trades.
My backpack.
Tactically Inane Tower Squad (Minecraft)

EA's marketing is a jock running up to you and punching you in the dick for not playing the latest Medal of Honour. It doesn't matter if you play it anyway, you still got punched in the dick.

Oh god they fly and have ass lasers.

#26 Lucidius

Lucidius

Hey, My friend drew me, woo!

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Scout, Heavy, Engineer

Posted January 08 2011 - 03:37 PM

Wow, that bend you added into the pipe makes me think even more of motorcycle parts. I'm sorry if i'm killing your original design of a leaf blower :(

Posted Image

ALso, the part that the canisters connec tto remind me of Posted Image

The new angle on the handle looks really nice.

You could probably even recycle the handle from the engineer's tool box for the carry handle, jigglebone and lock it on an axis so it can only flip around.

#27 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 10:07 PM

Wow, that bend you added into the pipe makes me think even more of motorcycle parts. I'm sorry if i'm killing your original design of a leaf blower :(

Don't worry about it, it had mostly to do with ingame function. The left hand placement clipped completely into the base of the old nozzle so I had to mess with the model a bunch to get everything lined up properly. Finally got that all done today :)

Speaking of which here is today's batch of screenshots. Thinking of working on texturing this bad boy tomorrow so I can get a look how it looks ingame without the basic purple n black checker boxes.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 emeraldscorpion90

emeraldscorpion90

SEE?

• TF2 Admins
  • 2907 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 10:15 PM

Hexagonal holes, hmm? I wonder if it'd be better off without holes, if you're going with a motorcycle theme...
Trades.
My backpack.

EA's marketing is a jock running up to you and punching you in the dick for not playing the latest Medal of Honour. It doesn't matter if you play it anyway, you still got punched in the dick.

#29 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 10:18 PM

Hexagonal holes, hmm? I wonder if it'd be better off without holes, if you're going with a motorcycle theme...

The normal flamethrower has the same type of holes so I decided to keep with the style of it.

Posted Image

#30 emeraldscorpion90

emeraldscorpion90

SEE?

• TF2 Admins
  • 2907 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 10:25 PM

The normal flamethrower has the same type of holes so I decided to keep with the style of it.

So they do. They seem a little softer than yours though... Maybe it's just because there isn't a texture...
Trades.
My backpack.

#31 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 08 2011 - 10:32 PM

So they do. They seem a little softer than yours though... Maybe it's just because there isn't a texture...

That and probably smooth groups. I haven't messed too much with those but I can probably make it look a lot softer.
Heres how the default flamethrower looks in 3ds max with no smooth groups.
Posted Image

#32 Draconian

Draconian

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Scout

Posted January 08 2011 - 11:29 PM

sounds like a flamethrower that would have insane burst but just as insane ammo use, it would most likely be used by pyro with dispensers nearby

#33 Lucidius

Lucidius

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Scout, Heavy, Engineer

Posted January 09 2011 - 12:10 AM

Hey, you could prolly texture those holes on better then you can model them. THey won't have the depth but it'de be alot less rendering.

Transparent texture, punch holes into it and then burn the edges of where the hole meets the metal mesh.

I don't mind the hexagonal holes myself because once it's smoothed right and when the textures are on it it'll still look good.

Also, i'm super sure that rotations store with models, so if you had a clipping usse you could hve just rotated the model back some.

#34 Ager

Ager

Shitposter extraordinaire

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted January 09 2011 - 03:27 AM

A leaf blower with a motorcycle exhaust pipe... Would look cool, and it would make more sense than having the flames spout out of a plastic funnel :/

#35 Smoke Ice Cream

Smoke Ice Cream

I post a lot!

• Members
  • 1272 posts
  • Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, Engineer, Medic

Posted January 09 2011 - 04:38 AM

A leaf blower with a motorcycle exhaust pipe... Would look cool, and it would make more sense than having the flames spout out of a plastic funnel :/

its a good way to sum up the design of the Overflow overall. But the size of the holes kinda...or say could use a little bit of a reduction. But, it could make it spectacular if the flames were to come out of the holes too, aside from the obvious big nozzle
Posted Image

#36 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 09 2011 - 01:39 PM

Well had to get rid of the holes in the nozzle due to it looking sort of wonky and causing some smoothing issues with the polygons there. Bit of refinement here and there but otherwise mostly unchanged.

Also... Ingame Screeshots!!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Looking good and lots of that phong shininess. Generic texture at the moment but should be textured in the next day or so :)

#37 otterwolfy

otterwolfy

Law Abiding Engineer

• Members
  • 2783 posts
  • Gamespy ID: clues
  • Minecraft:otterwolfy
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, Engineer, Medic, Spy

Posted January 09 2011 - 01:40 PM

Nice, that looks pretty cool in game! Good work. :3 Can't wait to see a textured version of this!

#38 Kelsonar

Kelsonar

Your Inner Viking!

• Scrimmer
  • 1659 posts

Posted January 09 2011 - 04:29 PM

Tinder, I think I just had a nerdgasm at that. :lol:

Zuul: Fish Queen: A pimp named Kelsoback

Soviet Russia: You got kelso.
Soviet Russia: Sentries are invalid

Heartlesskev: HOLY CRAP KELSON, WHEN DID YOU GET SO CUTE?

Cocaine.exe :  kelsonar is a gay ass name

#39 HatTheTurtle

HatTheTurtle

Holding that L since 20XX

• Scrim Admins
  • 2333 posts

Posted January 09 2011 - 04:34 PM

Teach me your ways T_T

Really nice model, can't wait to see it textured!

#40 Lucidius

Lucidius

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Scout, Heavy, Engineer

Posted January 09 2011 - 04:46 PM

you should edit the POV, it's pointing to the right and rotating it via the QC file should fix that a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users