• Please log in to reply
622 replies to this topic

#41 TYV

TYV

Jimmy Points

• Members
  • 1368 posts

Posted January 09 2011 - 06:28 PM

You know what, this has inspired me to have another shot at modeling. Now just to learn everything I can about 3ds max -.-

Tinder, how did you learn? where you self-taught or did you learn from a pro or online or what? I'd love to know!
"You should understand that I understand that I am dealing with forces that if handled recklessly will nullify the ability of intelligent beings in all real and hypothetical planes of existence to give a shit."

#42 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts
  • Minecraft:MrTinder
  • Pyro, Demoman, Engineer, Medic

Posted January 09 2011 - 08:41 PM

you should edit the POV, it's pointing to the right and rotating it via the QC file should fix that a bit.

I'm a bit confused by your post. Do you mean the first person perspective on the model is rotated oddly? Currently the Pyro's hand positions and the flame particles match up correctly on the model so I'm not sure.

Tinder, how did you learn? where you self-taught or did you learn from a pro or online or what? I'd love to know!

Self taught long, long ago when Halo CE was popular (thats Halo 1 for the PC with a lot of customization). Originally for trying to make maps but never really finished anything and the program hoops to jump through to get a map made. Probably cause it was Gearbox and not Bungie that ported the game over to the PC that made it hard as hell to make anything for the game. Since then I've just been fiddling with it and Source SDK on an off a couple of times but I'm still not fluent with 3ds MAX or the lingo. Only stuff I've learned from someone else was either through a tutorial or from the occasional question I throw towards a friend who makes a living as a modeler at EA.

#43 Lucidius

Lucidius

Hey, My friend drew me, woo!

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Scout, Heavy, Engineer

Posted January 09 2011 - 11:06 PM

The hands are in the right spots, it's just they are rotated in a way that makes the weapon go away from the crosshair instead of towards it. I don't use view models or flamethrowers often so I can't really tell if that's how it's supposed to be.

#44 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 09 2011 - 11:34 PM

The hands are in the right spots, it's just they are rotated in a way that makes the weapon go away from the crosshair instead of towards it. I don't use view models or flamethrowers often so I can't really tell if that's how it's supposed to be.

Oddly the first person perspective and the world view don't match for the flamethrower. In first person the flames shoots slightly diagonal towards the center of the cross hair while to everyone else the flames are shooting straight forward. A similar example would be the Degreaser which also has a forward facing nozzle. I could twist the nozzle slightly but I don't think it will be that big of an issue.

Anyways getting close to being done with the UV Unwrapping process, it takes a lot of patience to adjust all the faces into a 2d format. Shifting through some errors an anomalies but by tomorrow I should be done with that and at least have a very rough texture completed.

#45 Ager

Ager

Shitposter extraordinaire

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted January 10 2011 - 03:20 AM

Looks excellent! I have a teeny tiny question: people around here said that the nozzle looks like a motorcycle's exhaust. Are you going to apply this? Untextured, it looks as if it could either be the original leaf blower's plastic nozzle (which wouldn't make much sense, I'm pretty sure they aren't made of fire-proof bakelite) or a shiny chrome exhaust?

#46 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 06:25 AM

Looks excellent! I have a teeny tiny question: people around here said that the nozzle looks like a motorcycle's exhaust. Are you going to apply this? Untextured, it looks as if it could either be the original leaf blower's plastic nozzle (which wouldn't make much sense, I'm pretty sure they aren't made of fire-proof bakelite) or a shiny chrome exhaust?

I was thinking shiny chrome exhaust. While the motorcycle exhaust looks good too it would seem obstructive to the actual fire not to mention I'm sure the Pyro isn't worried about staying quiet while burning the other team so a muffler would seem odd.

#47 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 01:24 PM

Alright, ingame textures are completed!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I think its about ready for submission but I'm probably jumping the gun on this. What do you guys n gals think? If anything the weakpoint at the moment is the textures since I've never really done it before and its the most resent addition.

#48 Pappy

Pappy

Disciple of Brodin may we all find Swolehalla

• Scrimmer
  • 1488 posts
  • Minecraft:PapaUmad
  • Scout, Pyro, Demoman, Medic

Posted January 10 2011 - 01:25 PM

I think the texture could use some work.

I wish the pyro could have a backpack cuz this thing needs to spew napalm or something. Regular fire is far too wimp for The Overflow!

www.twitter.com/brandonsoarespt

soaresbrandoncpt.wordpress.com

brandonsoarescpt.trainerize.com

#49 emeraldscorpion90

emeraldscorpion90

SEE?

• TF2 Admins
  • 2907 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 01:31 PM

I think the texture could use some work.

Agreed. It's far too plain at the moment. Add some variation, rust, bolts, anything to break up the monotony of the textures.
Trades.
My backpack.
Tactically Inane Tower Squad (Minecraft)

EA's marketing is a jock running up to you and punching you in the dick for not playing the latest Medal of Honour. It doesn't matter if you play it anyway, you still got punched in the dick.

Oh god they fly and have ass lasers.

#50 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 01:34 PM

Alright then, wasn't just my mind playing tricks on me then. Other than the actual textures does the color scheme for the layout work out well?

#51 Thaurian

Thaurian

Manual included

• Members
  • 1604 posts
  • Minecraft:Thaurian
  • Medic

Posted January 10 2011 - 01:44 PM

Colour scheme looks fine but needs some touches, right now everything looks too shiny/plastic-like - maybe add flames on the side like the engi's hotrod :V
Goddamn cat.
TF2 Backpack

#52 Lucidius

Lucidius

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Scout, Heavy, Engineer

Posted January 10 2011 - 01:54 PM

Kay,

1) I don't think all of the tanks should be the same color as they look to be different tanks (the ones that arn't the same shouldn't look the same moreover)

2) For the smaller tanks you COULD recycle some of the canister textures from HL2, same with the propane tank. Everyone will have these textures.

3) A better color scheme for the body of the flame thrower (where the engine would be and where the tanks connect) should be inverted, the darker colors should make up the bulk of the cicular part and the ntus should be silver.

4) The grip needs to be a motor-cycle grip so darker then the rest of it. The phong should be non-existant here unless you go with a plastic grip, in which case it should be bump mapped to have a grippy design.

5) The 'chrome' isn't chromey looking enough. I'll get you tutorial after I get supper.

6) The phong looks a bit too bright no the gas tanks, and they lack any detail.

7) For the propane tank you could borrow the textures from the default one.

Keep in mind these are all just suggetions.

Edited by Lucidius, January 10 2011 - 01:55 PM.

#53 Ager

Ager

Shitposter extraordinaire

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted January 10 2011 - 02:08 PM

Like Lucidious said: the weapon's main colour should be dark, so it contrasts with the Pyro's chest area. Use more colours out of the TF2 pallet: metal grey for big and plain areas, rusty metal for variation on spots like that welded patch, orangey yellow for small details, and so on. Lighting is also important: like the others said, the tanks look like plastic, because they reflect too much light.
One more thing: typical TF2 textures have hints of brush strokes on them, besides other details. It makes the textures more interesting. Take the Shovel, for example, which has broad, parallel strokes over the spade's head and the wooden handle:

Posted Image

#54 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll try to refine the texture as much as I can but since Valve doesn't want texture files larger than 512x512 plus multiple items in that same space I don't have much room to work with. Suppose I could start out in a larger format and downscale afterwards but that could cause some major pixilation. I could break up the texture into multiple textures but I'm not sure if thats allowed or if that would make a mess since I already UV Unwrapped everything. If anything I just need to optimize the UV map so the small items are actually small and vice versa so I don't have a huge texture space for tiny objects or a tiny space for a large object.

#55 Lucidius

Lucidius

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Scout, Heavy, Engineer

Posted January 10 2011 - 03:26 PM

Tut on brushed metal; http://www.gamebanana.com/tuts/8872

Tut on dodge and burn tips; http://www.gamebanana.com/tuts/7297

Tut on making holes in a texture; http://www.gamebanana.com/tuts/6270

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED METAL TUT; http://www.gamebanana.com/tuts/6125

I've known Millenia since like '02, he is texture god.

Materials (it's got chrome thar); http://www.gamebanana.com/tuts/2395

Edit: 512x512 is enough, that used to be the texture cap for goldsource and we've had some beautiful shit.

Edited by Lucidius, January 10 2011 - 03:29 PM.

#56 emeraldscorpion90

emeraldscorpion90

SEE?

• TF2 Admins
  • 2907 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 07:09 PM

2) For the smaller tanks you COULD recycle some of the canister textures from HL2, same with the propane tank. Everyone will have these textures.

I don't recommend this, since TF2 uses a highly different art-style. Using HL2 textures in anything TF2 will result in something looking just "off". This happens with maps too.
Trades.
My backpack.
Tactically Inane Tower Squad (Minecraft)

EA's marketing is a jock running up to you and punching you in the dick for not playing the latest Medal of Honour. It doesn't matter if you play it anyway, you still got punched in the dick.

Oh god they fly and have ass lasers.

#57 Lucidius

Lucidius

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Scout, Heavy, Engineer

Posted January 10 2011 - 08:30 PM

I don't recommend this, since TF2 uses a highly different art-style. Using HL2 textures in anything TF2 will result in something looking just "off". This happens with maps too.

Good point but recyling frmo default flamethrower or the pyro's backpack is a viable option.

#58 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 09:42 PM

Yeh, I'd prefer to try and create my own textures rather than ripping it from another source. It might be quicker but I don't learn anything from it in the process. Thanks for posting those tutorial as well though the burn/dodge tool tips don't really apply to Team Fortress 2 textures for two reasons. The first is the art style which is semi-cartoonish in design and the second is that weapons are dynamically lighted ingame. Two examples. The first being the default Flamethrower texture and the second being a screenshot I posted a page back in which I only used a plain gray texture for ingame rendering.

Posted Image
Strong coloration and brush variation but limited to no complex texture shading. Still some darkening for some shadows but the ambient textures I exported from 3ds max I should be good. Example of that is below. Still just black and white but its a good starting point

Posted Image

Next is the prior screenshot I posted that shows of the ingame lighting.

Posted Image
As you can see the lighting on the weapon model is rendered dynamically. Definitely will save time from having to try and make everything shine in the textures themselves. I still "bake" a ambient texture for generic shading/shadows that I'm using as the base of the texture (see above). If anything after I refine the textures I need to figure out how to adjust the phong settings so that the model isn't so shiny but still that I can adjust it depending on the object.

#59 Lucidius

Lucidius

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Scout, Heavy, Engineer

Posted January 10 2011 - 09:50 PM

posted mostly because it'de help with chroming, which i've yet to see in TF2 anyways.

As for 'texture ripping' being lazy, it'de say it's more so borrowing from something in the TF2 verse, making it feel kinda familier and reducing file sizes.

#60 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted January 10 2011 - 09:54 PM

I still will probably use the burn/dodge tools on some of the smaller things or just the part that is actually suppose to be chrome. Like I said before if I can figure out how to adjust the phong levels seperately for each object on the model I could easily do that but I think the phong settings are applied to the whole model.

If I'm confusing anyone with what "phong" is its the ingame lighting effect that gives the model its shine. The more you know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users