• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kingdom's Sword

Kingdom's Sword

I will sword you.

• Scrimmer
  • 3887 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 10:09 AM

So, like the title suggests, I am going to be upgrading to windows 7, but I am not sure which version to get. basically, Which one should I get and why? for example what are the pros and cons between 32 bit and 64 bit, and what is the difference between each edition of windows 7 (home, professional, and ultimate)?

If you try to fail and succeed, which did you actually do?

STEAM_0:0:17398697.png

#2 SirKillingston

SirKillingston

Bootylicious.

• Scrimmer
  • 3641 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 10:19 AM

Microsoft has a list comparing the differences between the different editions here.

As for 32 and 64-bit, the largest factor for this is how much RAM you have. If you have 4GB or more, get 64-bit. Other than that, I don't think there's really much else different between the two, though someone more experienced than I could probably give you more.
Naudlus: TIL killingston is never wrong

Friendship for Everyone™: I don't know. I'm too nice.

Feral: I am tiny baby woman.

emeraldscorp: MY ASS IS EASY

#3 Panda-Dog

Panda-Dog

The Real Legend

• Administrators
  • 1264 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 12:00 PM

I have Windows 7 Ultimate and the only big difference is you have bit locker as the language packs are pretty much useless (Granted unless you speak multiple languages).

Depending on what programs you run (If they arent compatible in Vista/Windows 7) you may want Professional for XP Compatibility mode but if you're just interested in playing the most up to date stuff then home premium will be what you want

As Killingston says the bit depends on how much RAM you have and yeah if you plan on having more then 4 GB then you need 64 Bit OS
What?

#4 Smyther

Smyther

Certified youtube browser.

• Scrimmer
  • 2493 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 12:33 PM

From my experience, just upgrading to win7 is a much bigger improvement over XP and vista than the differences between win7 versions. As panda said, if you really want the XP compatibility then get the appropriate version, but most of what Joe Average does doesn't need the extra compatibility layer (I've yet to have a problem myself). Personally, I would just get the cheapest, bear-bones version, as it still has all the bits that make win7 as good as it is. The extra bits an bobs are either done by other free software (encryption), situational (language support) or just not necessary if you're willing to abandon programs that aren't compatible for similar programs that do the same thing that you want (XP compatibility).

For 32 vs 64 bit, I think any win7 CD case will come with a 32 bit disk and a 64 bit disk, you certainly don't need to pay extra to run the 64 bit version. 2 rules of thumb I use:
- for desktops: Unless you have less than 3GB, get the 64-bit version or you just have wasted hardware. Remember GPU RAM and some I/O devices count towards your total memory. If you do have less, the 64-bit version might give you hassle with some obscure hardware, but there will be some form of 64-bit drivers for almost everything but you may decide to not bother since you don't have enough memory for it to make a difference.
- for laptops: You probably want the 64-bit version, however you might have compatibility problems with some hardware (especially for old machines). Sometimes only the answer really is to reinstall the 32-bit version, but in that case you probably have <3GB total memory anyway.
Capt. Yoshika Miyako: yarrr let's conqeur mexico

Iz so!~ [SWF2]: I'm teaching my friend how to play touhou
Sentry Gun (HatTheTurtle): Have you told them to roll their face across the keyboard yet?

#5 Sidewinder

Sidewinder

wat

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 12:39 PM

You'll want at least Professional (home is too limited if you're a power user) and, if your processor supports it, get 64-bit.

In addition to what smyther said, even if there aren't 64-bit drivers or versions of programs that you use, Windows uses WOW64 (Windows On Windows). This acts as an x86 (32-bit) emulator that will allow you to run 32-bit applications and drivers on 64-bit.

http://msdn.microsof...9(v=vs.85).aspx

Edited by Sidewinder, April 23 2011 - 12:40 PM.

Posted Image

#6 William Dogood

William Dogood

I post a lot!

• Administrators
  • 5771 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 01:11 PM

There's no reason to get 32bit. Unlike XP, Windows 7 actually has decent support for 64bit. You would just be kicking yourself in the shin getting 32.

Also, if you're so inclined as to turn off unnecessary processes, some guy put together a list when Windows 7 came out of safe ones to disable.
http://www.blackvipe...configurations/

William Dogood: No...not the juice!

M31: That's not what Hitler said.

esiObC2.gif

#7 Kingdom's Sword

Kingdom's Sword

I will sword you.

• Scrimmer
  • 3887 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 02:37 PM

thanks for all the input guys. I decided to go with windows 7 professional. and my computer has around 4 gigs of ram, so I will most likely go for 64 bit.

Edited by Kingdom's Sword, April 23 2011 - 02:37 PM.

If you try to fail and succeed, which did you actually do?

STEAM_0:0:17398697.png

#8 Smyther

Smyther

Certified youtube browser.

• Scrimmer
  • 2493 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 02:39 PM

My computer has around 4 gigs of ram, so I will most likely go for 64 bit.

Not to bang on about it, but really, 64 bit vs 32 bit is just a case of which CD you take out of the DVD case. Its not a decision you have to worry about when buying your copy.
Capt. Yoshika Miyako: yarrr let's conqeur mexico

Iz so!~ [SWF2]: I'm teaching my friend how to play touhou
Sentry Gun (HatTheTurtle): Have you told them to roll their face across the keyboard yet?

#9 Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe

A Real Arabian Hero!

• Scrimmer
  • 792 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 04:42 PM

7 Pro 64-Bit, nuff said. :P Plus, for OEM it's only $140.
Posted Image

#10 OrangeL

OrangeL

I edit every post I make

• Administrators
  • 2937 posts

Posted April 23 2011 - 05:26 PM

Or student for $30.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users