Photo

Change Nom Main Player Count To 24 Players

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Nom Main have 24 Player Slots? (46 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Nom Main have 24 Player Slots?

1. Yes (23 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Skeptical (6 votes [13.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

3. 22 Players preferred (14 votes [30.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.43%

4. No leave it the way it is (3 votes [6.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 The_Victor

The_Victor

Derp

• Scrimmer
  • 1492 posts

Posted September 09 2012 - 05:28 PM

I'm happy that we're finally giving the chance for new slotless/ people to be part of the community. Increasing the max cap should give the chance for players to actually participate and contribute in our fun times.

As long as there's an admin stopping the meanies during full/mid player count I agree with the idea.

Thread needs a poll

#22 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted September 09 2012 - 06:00 PM

I'm happy that we're finally giving the chance for new slotless/ people to be part of the community. Increasing the max cap should give the chance for players to actually participate and contribute in our fun times.

As long as there's an admin stopping the meanies during full/mid player count I agree with the idea.

Thread needs a poll

Poll added

Edited by kingddd, September 09 2012 - 06:03 PM.

yVRxnqJ.png

-------------------------------------------------

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#23 Loona

Loona

Nom's Turning Demoknight

• Scrimmer
  • 97 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman

Posted September 09 2012 - 08:22 PM

I totally agree with making the server 24 man. There have been countless times when I have met someone n the server to be really cool but is repelled due to the low server limit. If we get more people this could also increase the popularity of eggs and bacon if main is full.

Maybe hat I am thinking of is that if all servers have an equal amount of regulars or slotholders it would be balanced all around. As for the autojoin plugin it would somewhat saddened me personally s I exclusively only like to play on Red but overall a fantastic idea.

Edited by des Lunettes du Soleil, September 09 2012 - 08:24 PM.

Posted Image

if you believe in christmas cheer

#24 nosoop

nosoop

in ur vps, wreckin' ur stuf

• Members
  • 2740 posts

Posted September 09 2012 - 09:25 PM

I wouldn't mind having a 22/24-slot Main in effect. I wouldn't mind autojoin either, being one of those players that usually slam the enter key repeatedly once the loading screen transitions to the MOTD.

However, given how tight-knit the community is, I'm skeptical of how it will affect Bacon or Eggs, or even the player count due to reserve slots on Main. The gameplay-related points outlined in the original post are valid, though.
Edit: I'm aware that neither Bacon nor Eggs were brought up in the OP, but since it's been mentioned a bit by other replies I decided to provide my input on that.
Further from the topic, it's far too late to bring back Bacon and Eggs now.
We'll see what happens if/when a test run occurs. Let's give it a month-long test, just because a number of regulars are busy.

Edited by nosoop, September 09 2012 - 10:19 PM.

#25 Horizon

Horizon

Oh boy it's that time of year again.

• Members
  • 1773 posts

Posted September 09 2012 - 09:46 PM

While the game points are all valid, I am not entirely sure this will affect player traffic in bacon and eggs. Mainly because neither bacon or eggs are widely promoted, at least compared to how much main is promoted.
Player traffic to main is 50/50. The number of active players generally does fall below or around 18, but once it goes past that, it stays there for quite a considerable time.
A go-see wouldn't hurt, probably around 2 weeks to give everyone a feel.

Had your fun? -Xigbar, Kingdom Hearts, 358/2 Days
It's all about style. -Me
The AWESOME can not be TAUGHT! You must FEEL it! -SleepDepJoel on teaching awesome
I got voodoo. I got hoodoo. I got things I ain't even tried! And I got friends on the other side. -Dr. Facilier
A Year to Remember: Soul...Killed with the Fan :3
http://www.tf2items.com/id/SoldatLight
partymini.png

Spoiler:

http://ask.fm/HorizonStrider
Ask me question.  Because I know you want to.

#26 Looska

Looska

!rtv

• Members
  • 1280 posts
  • Minecraft:Looska
  • Scout, Pyro, Demoman, Spy

Posted September 09 2012 - 10:14 PM

I definitely agree with this. My playstyle seems to be much more suited to 24-player because I tend to play different classes all the time, some of which I'm not great at. I don't like feeling as if I HAVE to pick a certain class because it's absolutely necessary for our team to win. I also agree that it would help balance out the teams in case of very skilled players. I'm also all for allowing more people in who want to be part of the community but don't have slots yet. It seems like you need a slot to simply get into main at the moment. And if more jerks show up, there are usually always admins on the server.
Posted Image
"Goddammit Looska!" - Many, many people

#27 Cedarbox

Cedarbox

Married to a skeleton. Platonically.

• Members
  • 3955 posts

Posted September 10 2012 - 04:10 AM

While the game points are all valid, I am not entirely sure this will affect player traffic in bacon and eggs. Mainly because neither bacon or eggs are widely promoted, at least compared to how much main is promoted.

I'd think increasing Main's player count would just make Bacon and Eggs even more abandoned.

It seems like you need a slot to simply get into main at the moment.

I don't have a slot and I haven't had a problem getting on the server in months.

If we get more people this could also increase the popularity of eggs and bacon if main is full.

I don't know about everyone else but if Main's full and there are a few people in the other two servers, I don't bother with the other two servers, I just go somewhere else entirely. I go to Main to play with Nommers. It's nice to play with people I know.

There once was a kitty named Tomo
As famous on the Internet as Domo
But his face got all shitty
Because he's a bad kitty
And now he's washed up like Rivers Cuomo

#28 CharlieTheTurtle

CharlieTheTurtle

Gotta go green.

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted September 10 2012 - 06:41 AM

after playing a game like mount and blade warband online i do find that rage is alot less when its more team and less 1v1 and that even trolling is harder as there are too many people for it to have great effect.

an auto join plug in would be nice if there was a way to go to the other team without having to ask a admin, maybe making it harder by console command or something
Missing

#29 Stratos

Stratos

Employed

• Members
  • 2516 posts
  • Minecraft:Quantania
  • Scout, Soldier, Demoman, Heavy, Engineer, Medic

Posted September 10 2012 - 07:03 AM

My primary issue in a 16-man server is that, as mentioned before, it has the tendency to die down very quickly when there's stuffs like people bugging out to play MvM/other things or due to a bad map.

I'd anticipate worse fps in a 24-man server but if it helps to keep the action going over several maps or even a few rounds of the cycle, why not?
This isn't the signature you're looking for.

#30 Mahbonk

Mahbonk

I don't think so

• Scrimmer
  • 4605 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, Medic, Spy

Posted September 10 2012 - 08:51 AM

I agree with this man. Let's give it a try.
I don't mind playing with new people as long as they aren't jerks and trolls.

Edited by Mahbonk, September 10 2012 - 08:52 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#31 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts
  • Soldier, Engineer, Medic

Posted September 10 2012 - 11:16 AM

Besides, when the server is full, it reaches around 24 anyway. Regulars who don't have their passes yet (or just people who want to join) would be able to play this way without having to wait for the server to reach back to 15 (and that's usually when everyone leaves anyway).

#32 Neh

Neh

Hiya!

• Administrators
  • 3257 posts

Posted September 10 2012 - 11:17 AM

There are some really good points brought up here. I think this is worth a try. Bacon/Eggs will stay as they are, main up to 24 on a trial basis. To those suggesting an auto-join plugin, let's see how things go with the increase in player count first.

[...]isn't eggs a MvM server. [...]

Eggs is not MVM, it's just down, and due to lack of use I haven't bothered bringing it back up. MvM1 and MvM2 are their own servers.

#33 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts
  • Soldier, Engineer, Medic

Posted September 10 2012 - 12:11 PM

Eggs is not MVM, it's just down, and due to lack of use I haven't bothered bringing it back up. MvM1 and MvM2 are their own servers.

Didn't even know we had MvM servers. Does it Mann Up or just regular MvM?

#34 Panda-Dog

Panda-Dog

The Real Legend

• Administrators
  • 1264 posts

Posted September 10 2012 - 12:13 PM

Didn't even know we had MvM servers. Does it Mann Up or just regular MvM?

Only Valve server can be Mann Up mode.

Also Neh those two MVM Servers have been out of date for some time, I got a group together the other night to only find out those servers are not up to date so noone can go on them.
What?

#35 Neh

Neh

Hiya!

• Administrators
  • 3257 posts

Posted September 10 2012 - 12:32 PM

While only valve servers can be in Mann Up mode, you can play those scenarios on our servers by calling a difficulty mode vote.

Also Neh those two MVM Servers have been out of date for some time, I got a group together the other night to only find out those servers are not up to date so noone can go on them.

I'm going to fix them up with the same stuff main and bacon have soon, sorry about that. As for right now, there was a problem about an hour ago, but it's fine now and they are updated.

#36 Panda-Dog

Panda-Dog

The Real Legend

• Administrators
  • 1264 posts

Posted September 10 2012 - 12:37 PM

While only valve servers can be in Mann Up mode, you can play those scenarios on our servers by calling a difficulty mode vote.

I'm going to fix them up with the same stuff main and bacon have soon, sorry about that. As for right now, there was a problem about an hour ago, but it's fine now and they are updated.

Awesome thanks Neh
What?

#37 Scyrius

Scyrius

Chaotic Neutral.

• TF2 Admins
  • 5402 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Engineer, Sniper, Medic, Spy

Posted September 10 2012 - 08:31 PM

Thank you Neh.
Woop woop.
http://www.last.fm/user/WorldsEdge
Bella bella bella bellorum bellis bellis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users