• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cedarbox

Cedarbox

Married to a skeleton. Platonically.

• Members
  • 3960 posts

Posted November 20 2012 - 11:56 PM

I don't know about you guys but it's kind of frustrating to do a search for an item up for trade only to find it in the search... and then realize the thread was posted years ago.

So my suggestion would be to put into place an automatic expiration date for trade threads (perhaps a month or two from the start of the thread?). Because some people like to maintain their threads as shops, I'd also like to suggest an option (turned off by default but toggleable) to disable the expiration.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before to someone, but I don't know if it was to an admin. So if this has been posted before (and I did search), oops!

There once was a kitty named Tomo
As famous on the Internet as Domo
But his face got all shitty
Because he's a bad kitty
And now he's washed up like Rivers Cuomo

#2 emeraldscorpion90

emeraldscorpion90

SEE?

• TF2 Admins
  • 2907 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 06:56 AM

I don't know about you guys but it's kind of frustrating to do a search for an item up for trade only to find it in the search... and then realize the thread was posted years ago.

So my suggestion would be to put into place an automatic expiration date for trade threads (perhaps a month or two from the start of the thread?). Because some people like to maintain their threads as shops, I'd also like to suggest an option (turned off by default but toggleable) to disable the expiration.

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before to someone, but I don't know if it was to an admin. So if this has been posted before (and I did search), oops!

If you're looking for specific items, you might be better off using a trading site instead anyway, don't you think? Nom's good if you get lucky looking for something, but if you're looking for a single item out of the hundreds that exist, a specialty site seems like it would be a better option in terms of searching.
Trades.
My backpack.
Tactically Inane Tower Squad (Minecraft)

EA's marketing is a jock running up to you and punching you in the dick for not playing the latest Medal of Honour. It doesn't matter if you play it anyway, you still got punched in the dick.

Oh god they fly and have ass lasers.

#3 Cedarbox

Cedarbox

• Members
  • 3960 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 07:18 AM

If you're looking for specific items, you might be better off using a trading site instead anyway, don't you think? Nom's good if you get lucky looking for something, but if you're looking for a single item out of the hundreds that exist, a specialty site seems like it would be a better option in terms of searching.

I prefer doing business with people I know I can trust.

Because he's a bad kitty

#4 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 07:41 AM

I prefer doing business with people I know I can trust.

Except we're not always available. You can't expect us to have every single item in the world and hold on to it all year and have the admins monitor every single trade thread. An automated session could be nice however it just puts the admins into more stress by properly implementing this system as we have to catch every circumstances that is allowable or not or when it expires. The TF2 virtual world is very fast paced and items are always being distributed so naturally the people of nom also can't maintain all their items to be with them all the time.

As Scorpion said, your best option is to actually go to those trading servers or go to a trading website. Look at the person's offers, observe what they want and the number one thing is to be patient. I have currently had no bad experience with any trader so far in most trading websites because I was patient enough to observe their typing attitude. Once you see it, you know you can trust them. Think of it as a pawn shop, be patient with traders and sure the majority of them can't be trusted but there are some really good ones out there if you are patient enough to look around. If you can't find one, try again tomorrow.

yVRxnqJ.png

-------------------------------------------------

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#5 Cedarbox

Cedarbox

• Members
  • 3960 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 07:57 AM

Except we're not always available. You can't expect us to have every single item in the world and hold on to it all year and have the admins monitor every single trade thread. An automated session could be nice however it just puts the admins into more stress by properly implementing this system as we have to catch every circumstances that is allowable or not or when it expires. The TF2 virtual world is very fast paced and items are always being distributed so naturally the people of nom also can't maintain all their items to be with them all the time.

That's a better case for expiring threads that I could have ever made.

Also, my suggestion isn't about making people be around or hold onto things, people are going to have to do that no matter what the trading network is. It's just about expiration to clean up the trade section and make it easier to sort through. It's about the mechanic, not the people.

Edited by Cedarbox, November 21 2012 - 08:06 AM.

Because he's a bad kitty

#6 wargod707

wargod707

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, Engineer, Sniper, Medic, Spy

Posted November 21 2012 - 10:59 AM

well if u go to the trading section most likely the first page will have all the open trade threads and anything after will most likely be closed so just look at the first page and if noone has it and you refuse to go to trade servers/websites just make a thread titled L>(name of item)
The inner machinations of my mind are an enigma!

http://www.kongregat...r/tf2-crate-sim

Posted Image

#7 emeraldscorpion90

emeraldscorpion90

SEE?

• TF2 Admins
  • 2907 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 11:24 AM

While it is nice to be able to trade with people you know, it simply isn't viable in terms of being able to get what you want. It sucks, but that's kinda the way an economy works. Use trading sites, they generally ban people that are reported scammers, be courteous in the hopes that traders will respond equally, and if you do end up with those sticky nonsensical for-profit traders that are every potential trader's nightmare, you just exit the trade without saying another word.

Again, we're not a trade server, and even if we did implement a system such as that which you suggest, it probably wouldn't increase your chances of finding what you want.
Trades.
My backpack.
Tactically Inane Tower Squad (Minecraft)

EA's marketing is a jock running up to you and punching you in the dick for not playing the latest Medal of Honour. It doesn't matter if you play it anyway, you still got punched in the dick.

Oh god they fly and have ass lasers.

#8 Neh

Neh

Hiya!

• Administrators
  • 3257 posts

Posted November 21 2012 - 05:56 PM

While this idea makes sense, I think it would make even more sense to just set a specified cutoff date for your search results instead.

However, I did make it not show threads older than 2 months in the regular topic list view by default. This is the only functionality built in to our forum software, and was as easy as picking another option in a dropdown box for that forum section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users