• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Neh

Neh

Hiya!

• Administrators
  • 3257 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 08:38 PM

Hey guys and gals. We've just recently enabled a new feature for Nom. One that we have never offered before - Map Voting!

tl;dr
Spoiler:
Nominate and vote for maps, let us know what you think.

We're using the popular Sourcemod plugin "Ultimate Mapchooser 3" for those that are care, along with the additional functionality of NativeVotes. The reason Nom has never bothered with a voting system before is due to the way Sourcemod has handled menus for all of these years, by using your number keys. This interferes with gameplay by taking over your weapon switch buttons. Thanks to the developer of NativeVotes, a system that hooks in to the TF2's integrated voting dialogs and buttons is available, and it works nicely.
Votes are entered by the F1-F5 keys, and each vote will be up for no longer than 20 seconds, keeping gameplay impact to a minimum. You will also be warned in advance of scheduled votes via a hintbox countdown timer, with a discrete audio tick.

Any time a vote is called, everyone playing will be presented with a list of choices. First, You will vote on the next game mode. Attack/Defend CP, Back and Forth CP, Payload, CTF, King of the Hill, or Arena. Maps with other official types like plr, tc, or sd are included in with the closest fitting category. However, Arena maps will not appear when there are more than 12 people on the server, and CTF and Payload will not appear with less than 12. You will also not be presented with the same type of map you're already playing.

After the game mode is selected, you will then vote for the actual map from that group, randomly selected from the massive pool of the most popular maps, hand-picked by our own Mr. Tinder. Maps will not show up in voting until at least 4 other maps have been played since the last time it was picked.
"But Neh," you say, "What if I want to play a particular map?" Easy, because we also have a fully featured nomination system in place. Just say "nominate" and you'll be presented with a full list of every map on the server, divided into the same categories you'll vote on. You can also bind or type the command "sm_nominate" followed by the name of the map. Many of the maps in each category will never show up in the vote without being nominated due to being less popular or other reasons, but they are still worth playing every now and then, so if you have a map you love that's not very popular, nominate it!
Also available for nomination by our longer term members with reserved slots is the Remakes, Backwards, and Etc. list. These maps will show up in the appropriate gameplay categories when nominated by an admin or slot holder, and will be marked as being special. Admins can also nominate the weird maps to let the players decide if they want to play something wacky, or go with the normal stuff.

Now, about how things will work for now. Currently, the only time a vote will happen is when an admin activates a manual vote command. This is because we're still testing and making changes to this system. That's why we need your feedback. Play with the nomination system. Ask the admins to call votes. Let us know what you think!

Also, we will not be enabling rock the vote. Votes will be run automatically based on the map time limit when this is fully implemented. If you think you can provide an argument that will convince the admins to change their minds though, you're free to make your case.

#2 Dr. Soul

Dr. Soul

ech

• Scrimmer
  • 6921 posts
  • Scout, Pyro, Demoman, Medic

Posted April 10 2013 - 08:45 PM

I'm liking the idea already and I haven't played tf2 in a while. I'm just curious to know if this comes on fully coded will it defeat the mapcycles all together or will there still be some prearranged mapcycles? (no complaint, I'm ok with whatever)

"why am I the only one here not having a cock here?" -Fox McCrits

"Hey did you know that 4000 cats are eaten in China? Wanna pretend I'm asian and let me eat your pussyyyyy?"-Pikachu on LSD 

#3 Neh

Neh

Hiya!

• Administrators
  • 3257 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 08:50 PM

I'm liking the idea already and I haven't played tf2 in a while. I'm just curious to know if this comes on fully coded will it defeat the mapcycles all together or will there still be some prearranged mapcycles? (no complaint, I'm ok with whatever)

It's looking like it will take over the prearranged mapcycles, but I will work on the specific details on this and try to keep some of that functionality in.

#4 Cedarbox

Cedarbox

Married to a skeleton. Platonically.

• Members
  • 3953 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 09:38 PM

It's looking like it will take over the prearranged mapcycles, but I will work on the specific details on this and try to keep some of that functionality in.

Why not just let people vote on what map in the mapcycle they want with nomination required for anything else?

I really like reserved slots getting to nominate stuff. However, I'm kind of afraid that people will just use it to turn Nom into 24/7 Desperados and Cashworks.

There once was a kitty named Tomo
As famous on the Internet as Domo
But his face got all shitty
Because he's a bad kitty
And now he's washed up like Rivers Cuomo

#5 Dr. Soul

Dr. Soul

ech

• Scrimmer
  • 6921 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 09:46 PM

turn Nom into 24/7 Desperados and Cashworks.

it's been the plan all along

"Hey did you know that 4000 cats are eaten in China? Wanna pretend I'm asian and let me eat your pussyyyyy?"-Pikachu on LSD 

#6 Scyrius

Scyrius

Chaotic Neutral.

• TF2 Admins
  • 5402 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Engineer, Sniper, Medic, Spy

Posted April 10 2013 - 10:03 PM

However, I'm kind of afraid that people will just use it to turn Nom into 24/7 Desperados and Cashworks.

People who get jobs at coffee shops often get sick of coffee.
Woop woop.
http://www.last.fm/user/WorldsEdge
Bella bella bella bellorum bellis bellis.

#7 nosoop

nosoop

in ur vps, wreckin' ur stuf

• Members
  • 2737 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 10:04 PM

I really like reserved slots getting to nominate stuff. However, I'm kind of afraid that people will just use it to turn Nom into 24/7 Desperados and Cashworks.

Ultimate Mapchooser 3 has the ability to set map-specific cooldowns; we have those two maps to not be playable for every 238 maps already.

(I'm kidding, but really, if it gets to that once the system fully rolls out, we can get it configured as such.)

Edited by nosoop, April 10 2013 - 10:19 PM.

#8 Neh

Neh

Hiya!

• Administrators
  • 3257 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 10:07 PM

turn Nom into 24/7 Desperados and Cashworks.

Not possible. Overplayed maps can have their minimum away time set higher than 4 other maps if need be. Desperados is on the slot list too, not the general list.

#9 Suwa + etc.

Suwa + etc.

Hungry

• TF2 Admins
  • 393 posts

Posted April 10 2013 - 10:45 PM

I wouldn't want to see this fully supplant map cycles. I may be weird on this, but I like not having to vote near the end of every map for the next map. Maybe a vote every X maps during a cycle, and every map when there's no established cycle?
Spoiler:
Rock the vote is a gateway drug. Before long, you're rolling the dice and running Zombie Fortress with anime models and Quake killstreak sounds wondering exactly where it all went wrong.

#10 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts
  • Minecraft:MrTinder
  • Pyro, Demoman, Engineer, Medic

Posted April 10 2013 - 11:07 PM

Spoiler:
Rock the vote is a gateway drug. Before long, you're rolling the dice and running Zombie Fortress with anime models and Quake killstreak sounds wondering exactly where it all went wrong.

Also, we will not be enabling rock the vote. Votes will be run automatically based on the map time limit when this is fully implemented.

You can rest somewhat easy on that.

Otherwise I am hoping the ability for a cooldown timer of sort on maps cuts down on the map stagnation as of late. We have around 216 standard maps on the server and only 20 of them are played on a weekly basis with a few certain ones Cashworks and Desperados anyone? being switched to often even during other peoples mapcycles that don't have those maps on the list. In addition map voting after nominations goes by gametype voting first, followed by a second vote for 5 maps in that gametype catagory. Being able to enable/disable maps by player count is a plus and can be tweaked such as excluding arena maps when there is too high of a player count or larger maps and gametypes when there is too small of one.

#11 Phantom Trout

Phantom Trout

I post a lot!

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted April 11 2013 - 11:51 AM

I actually kind of prefer this more. Having the mapcycle be the stand-by if no majority vote can be made, and the crowd in the server deciding the maps every (or every other) switch. It's always a shame when the server empties simply because there's a map that comes up that's largely unpopular. I can't wait to see this get fully implemented.

Also having the type of game mode being voted on first is neat, instead of just a random smattering of choices. It lets you get an idea of what kind of mood the server's in.

#12 Dr. Soul

Dr. Soul

ech

• Scrimmer
  • 6921 posts

Posted April 11 2013 - 12:29 PM

It's always a shame when the server empties simply because there's a map that comes up that's largely unpopular. I can't wait to see this get fully implemented.

this is the reason why I like this more than mapcycles

I usually get to tf2 only to be greeted by everyone leaving because there's a bad map incoming. it sucks

#13 Cedarbox

Cedarbox

Married to a skeleton. Platonically.

• Members
  • 3953 posts

Posted April 11 2013 - 02:35 PM

It's always a shame when the server empties simply because there's a map that comes up that's largely unpopular.

That does serve an important purpose though. It makes room for people to come in that would otherwise be crowded out.

There once was a kitty named Tomo
As famous on the Internet as Domo
But his face got all shitty
Because he's a bad kitty
And now he's washed up like Rivers Cuomo

#14 Toamto

Toamto

tromboner

• Administrators
  • 1920 posts

Posted April 11 2013 - 05:51 PM

We just played erector and pacman back-to-back. Pretty sure some most people wanted to play actual maps.

EDIT: A few maps that I think are supposed to be admin-only are appearing in votemenus when the selections are autofilled

#15 Soviet

Soviet

I post a lot!

• Scrim Admins
  • 2100 posts
  • Soldier, Pyro, Demoman

Posted April 11 2013 - 06:02 PM

We just played erector and pacman back-to-back. Pretty sure some most people wanted to play actual maps.

EDIT: A few maps that I think are supposed to be admin-only are appearing in votemenus when the selections are autofilled

pacman's on the cycle

#16 Cloud

Cloud

Rakist

• Members
  • 1533 posts
  • Pyro

Posted April 11 2013 - 06:30 PM

One way you could set it up, if possible, is with some division, I think. Like say someone makes a map cycle and they have 9 maps set. So 3 maps, then a vote. Maybe if it's 6 maps, 2 maps, then a vote. That way you have the structure of a map cycle but some room for variety, too. Ofcourse you'd also have to disable the maps on the map cycle from being voted on too so you don't end up with doubles...

I don't know if that is even possible either, I just wanted to note an idea.

dDHukhF.png

#17 Neh

Neh

Hiya!

• Administrators
  • 3257 posts

Posted April 11 2013 - 06:46 PM

It is beyond my abilities to only automatically vote every X number of maps.

However, it is possible to set a threshold which the number of votes a map must receive be above a certain percentage of those who voted, which is the next thing I'll be testing. If people can't agree, then the map will just follow the normal mapcycle. Probably.
I'll handle the issue of the restricted groups showing up in votes too.

#18 Toamto

Toamto

tromboner

• Administrators
  • 1920 posts

Posted April 11 2013 - 06:50 PM

pacman's on the cycle

I did notice that afterward, but I did see erector and desperados show up on the vote menu (neither were nominated).

Also thanks in advance for looking into it Neh.

#19 Sylver?

Sylver?

Why you ackin' so cray cray?

• Scrimmer
  • 549 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Demoman, Sniper, Spy

Posted April 11 2013 - 08:15 PM

I think its fine except instead of 2 votes(one to decide the game mode and the other to decide the actual map), just do 1 vote. I dunno.

Posted Image

Backpack Youtube

Chali Dredle ✡: YEAH IM FUCKING
Sylver Bells: it was 9 minutes

#20 Madai

Madai

Earn crackers?

• Scrimmer
  • 6915 posts

Posted April 14 2013 - 04:18 PM

Problems with nominate,

I get no reserved slot ones, and instead get admin ones.

Posted Image

Not sure if true for all slotties.

IlrVSW2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users