Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Tinder

Lets Make Everyone Sleepy Thread

Since we all have those problematic nights every once in a while. From insomnia, wanting some extra hours of sleep, or just have an odd sleep cycle. Lets share some bed time tips, tricks, and most of all: make everyone sleepy.

1iOWcHz.jpg

For me the number one thing that helps me wind down for the night are ASMR videos. The actual triggers vary from person to person but once you found out which ones work for you (whispering, tapping, etc.) you can find hundreds of those type of videos on Youtube. Also I am taking melatonin to help me get sleepy but its more of to help with my circadian rhythm being off rather than as a true sleep aid. I know some people have adverse reactions to it such as migraines so it is not for everyone.

For me, if I just don't think the first 10 mins I lay down and think of a black room full of nothing I can pass out soundly. If I start to think about ANYTHING I will be up all night.

Also looking at a picture of someone yawning is contagious, also, I can't sleep without a constant sound ( fan or air conditioner ). Try it yourselves. :3

Drink some water, one or two glasses usually does the trick.
If that doesn't work, try light reading or softer ambient music, something akin to Brian Eno or maybe Tim Hecker.

I try two things that work very well for me.

The first one is to just fantasize in my head, and kind of 'day dream'. And just make stories in my head. The second one is simple counting in my head, but imagine the numbers taking shape one by one. If I lose count, I start over.

A heavy blow to the head with a blunt object will put anyone out for a few hours, or into a coma.

Either way, you're not awake anymore.

I have a few things that do the job for me:

FIrst; Try to eliminate bright lights about 15-30 minutes before you want to go to sleep. Bright displays and exciting content keep you and your brain awake. The usual culprits for me are distractions while you are in bed like watching youtube on your phone, or finishing that last match on your favorite portable gaming device.

Second; If you are feeling sleepy, with the usual yawning and drowsiness, go to sleep at that point. If you force yourself to stay awake, you will get over the sleepiness but you won't sleep again for the next hour.

Third; Letting your mind wander. When I'm lying in bed and try to clear my mind and suddenly weird and unrelated thoughts begin popping up (ranging from bad hammer mapping, to cooking, to fuel prices in Belgium), I'm usually asleep within 10 minutes. It's almost like a pre-dream if I can call it that.

As usual, these things work for me, but your mileage may vary.

... weird and unrelated thoughts begin popping up (ranging from bad hammer mapping, to cooking, to fuel prices in Belgium), I'm usually asleep within 10 minutes...

That's what keeps me awake at night

FIrst; Try to eliminate bright lights about 15-30 minutes before you want to go to sleep. Bright displays and exciting content keep you and your brain awake. The usual culprits for me are distractions while you are in bed like watching youtube on your phone, or finishing that last match on your favorite portable gaming device.

I cannot stress this one enough.

I have a memory foam matress pad (mom had ordered one some years back and they accidentally sent two, but told us we could keep the second one rather than send it back) and it has quite the sedating effect on me.

It's pretty bad, ask anyone that I try to talk to on Steam mobile after I lay down.

As far as recommending tips for falling asleep, I got nothing. I don't know what it is about me, but I always pass out so easily.

Unless I'm on public transit. Dang public transit.

I hate having to go to sleep. I get bored. I always end up playing games in bed against my better judgement. That said, drinking water usually helps get me ready for bed. I also have a dim lamp next to my bed that helps create a sort of "bedtime ambiance", which helps me settle down.

Or if you're like me just get on an airplane and sit next to a turbine. That's the only time my body will refuse to stay awake.

Going to bed and waking up at fixed hours helps tremendously (with me at least).

Physical activity too -- exercise during the day so you're tired enough to quickly fall asleep (I should do more regular exercise).

CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

Melatonin works wonders. I take a 3mg tablet and I'm out in 30 mins.

96248873-260x260-0-0_GNC+GNC+Melatonin+3

Some people get nervous about taking things for sleeping though. I also usually recommend taking a shower before you go to bed (cooling down is a natural way your body prepares for sleep) and reading from a book helps too. 

Edited by Sidewinder

What always got me tired was in Miss Congeniality when Sandra Bullock lies down in bed for the like the first time in the movie after the hot chocolate right before she has to go practice walking or whatever. The pillows look so soft, the sheets so smooth and that sigh she gives when she lies down makes me tired every time.

Top Gear. I kid you not. I love that show, but I put it on at night and bam. Out like a light.

It was the case for me with Food Network. Gotta sleep to Good Eats, Unwrapped, Throwdown or whatever's on.

Then stuff happened and I drifted to a late night schedule, and nowadays I just plop into bed whenever I decide I'm tired and think a bit while drifting off. Also, listening to music on the lowest possible volume level is nice.

I've used the F.lux program a few times to help get me more tired around the evening. The program change your monitor tint to match the natural lighting of the hour of the day for your timezone by changing your monitors tint slowly and gradually. During the evening and night it changes the tint to a warm coloration similar to indoor lighting while during the day the tint becomes more bright and slightly blue to emulate outdoor lighting. I really liked it but I had to stop using it as I found the color adjustments too much for my taste after a week but some of you might not be bothered by it as much.

Top Gear. I kid you not. I love that show, but I put it on at night and bam. Out like a light.

Oh, that and Mythbusters. I find the narrator's voice oddly soothing. Thankfully Netflix stops autoplaying after like 2 episodes though.