• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted December 01 2013 - 05:52 PM

We're excited to share Prime Air - something the team has been working on in our next generation R&D lab. The goal of this new delivery system is to get packages into customers' hands in 30 minutes or less using unmanned aerial vehicles. Putting Prime Air into commercial use will take some number of years as we advance technology and wait for the necessary FAA rules and regulations. This is footage from a recent test flight. See page at

http://amzn.to/PrimeAir

Edited by kingddd, December 01 2013 - 05:56 PM.

yVRxnqJ.png

-------------------------------------------------

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#2 otterwolfy

otterwolfy

Law Abiding Engineer

• Members
  • 2783 posts
  • Gamespy ID: clues
  • Minecraft:otterwolfy
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, Engineer, Medic, Spy

Posted December 01 2013 - 05:59 PM

I like the idea, but I'm more worried about weather, and people shooting them down to steal packages, or using some other form of electronic interference to redirect packages to a different location.

#3 Cedarbox

Cedarbox

Married to a skeleton. Platonically.

• Members
  • 3965 posts

Posted December 01 2013 - 08:25 PM

Someone already tried getting the OK for drones for delivery. They were declined. I don't see why Amazon would be special.

There once was a kitty named Tomo
As famous on the Internet as Domo
But his face got all shitty
Because he's a bad kitty
And now he's washed up like Rivers Cuomo

#4 otterwolfy

otterwolfy

Law Abiding Engineer

• Members
  • 2783 posts
  • Gamespy ID: clues
  • Minecraft:otterwolfy
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, Engineer, Medic, Spy

Posted December 02 2013 - 08:43 AM

That was Dominos, and they only did it in the UK. The weren't declined, they were delayed. The FAA is still working on laws for drones. So there's still a possibility of drone delivery in the future.

#5 Panda-Dog

Panda-Dog

The Real Legend

• Administrators
  • 1264 posts

Posted December 02 2013 - 10:20 AM

This seems really cool! But of course there are a ton of implications of lost packages, destroyed packages and delays due to weather and just the destruction of these very expensive drones.

When I was able to pilot a drone they are good at maintaining altitude and remaining in an area with autopilot, but to land them correctly will need human instruction with obstacles such as trees. For altitude these things can fly extremely high (High enough to not be able to steal packages mid transit by shooting) but will have difficulty in mountain areas where they have an actual altitude limit.

I'm glad that UAVs are being used for more than just recon/military operations, this could dismiss some of the negative hype they get.

since my emphasis on my computer science degree is unmanned autonomous systems.

But in before the NSA really love this idea.

What?

#6 GabrielWB

GabrielWB

Cheese is awesome

• Administrators
  • 954 posts

Posted December 02 2013 - 12:55 PM

Though this idea looks cool and innovative as hell, I doubt that this will take off (hohoh) anytime soon.

Someone on youtube mentioned people disguising flying bombs as Amazon drones in the near future when drones are common place.

Even if the technological hurdle can be taken without too many issues , there is always the human factor.

Also, how would this work for people that live in busy urban environments where not everyone has a backyard or porch? Roof delivery could be fun.

[signature goes here]

#7 ratty

ratty

Double rainbow all the way

• Ratty
  • 13344 posts

Posted December 03 2013 - 01:49 AM

There's a lot of funny meme pics thanks to this.

XRtsM9Z.jpg

PdnS0xF.jpg

GoSlsof.jpg

And USPS comes out with a competing service

a0YNOY5.jpg

#8 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted December 03 2013 - 08:17 AM

And USPS comes out with a competing service

This one got me.

yVRxnqJ.png

-------------------------------------------------

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#9 Edel

Edel

I fight so that she may go on; For I am just a horse.

• Validating
  • 6008 posts

Posted December 03 2013 - 09:45 AM

There was a taco shop if I remember correctly in Cali that wanted to do this, but the FAA said no

But from what I've heard, the FAA is going to start regulating the use of drones for consumer purposes by  2015. Of course that doesn't immediately give a green flag, Im sure there's lots of hoops to jump though

And Im sure this will be expensive as hell but THE FUTURE IS NOW.

76561197999586213.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users