• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Madai

Madai

Earn crackers?

• Scrimmer
  • 6915 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 05:37 AM

Might be suited for shenanigans, but im worried that I might not get serious replies.

Anyhoo Im either going to buy or build a pc. If I were to build I would need an opinion from you lot, on what is good and what is not. Need to play most recent games with no hassle.

Other than that I saw two possibilities with pre built stuff, don't know if its a bit much with price, but its from a local company acting as middle man (I just want to give em a bit of business).

Spoiler:

Choice of Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium / Windows 8
- Intel Quad Core i7-3770, Processor 3.40Ghz   
- 16GB DDR3 Memory
- Optional SSD (See Below)
- 2TB HDD(SATA) Hard Drive
- DVD+/-RW RAM SATA Double Layer Drive 
- H61 Chipset Motherboard
- Microsoft Direct X 9.0 H/W compliant 3D Graphics
- Black & Silver mATX Case 
- 6 USB2.0 Ports (2 front, 4 rear) 
- 10/100/1000 LAN
- Black Keyboard and Optical Mouse
- 1 Year return to base warranty on PC base unit (1 Year on-site with Professional model)
1 set 5.1 channel Audio jacks (3 jacks)
1 x PS/2 mouse/keyboard port 
6x USB 2.0 ports
1 xRJ45 LAN port
1 x VGA port
1 x DVI port
Upgrade to a super-fast solid state drive, giving you significantly faster startup times and fast access to files and applications! Highly recommended!
120GB SSD: £80+VAT
240GB SSD: £135+VAT
The motherboard at the heart of this Intel i7 system provides onboard LAN, 5.1 channel surround sound and integrated 2D/3D graphics. A 1TB SATA hard drive provides ample storage, whilst the 16GB of DDR3 RAM will be plenty to handle most software applications. This desktop PC is perfect for anyone looking for a system that will be powerful enough to play high end games and give the PC a great life span.

Price:£624 (~$1031)

or

Choice of Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium / Windows 8
- Intel Core i5-3330, 3.0Ghz Quad Core Processor  
- 8GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory
- Optional SSD (See Below)
- 1TB (SATA) Hard Drive with 16MB Cache and 7200rpm 
- 24x DVD+/-RW RAM SATA Double Layer Drive
- Intel H61 Chipset Motherboard
- Integrated Intel® GMA HD Graphics
- Black mATX Case
- 6 USB2.0 Ports (2 front, 4 rear) 
- 10/100/1000 LAN
- Black Keyboard and Mouse
- 1 Year return to base warranty on PC base unit 
1 set 5.1 channel Audio jacks (3 jacks)
1 x PS/2 mouse/keyboard port 
6x USB 2.0 ports
1 xRJ45 LAN port
1 x VGA port
1 x DVI port
Upgrade to a super-fast solid state drive, giving you significantly faster startup times and fast access to files and applications! Highly recommended!
120GB SSD: £80+VAT
240GB SSD: £135+VAT
Aimed at those requiring instant results from heavy computing tasks, or high level multimedia performance. Designers, musicians and non-commercial digital video editors will find this a great value system.

Price: £438 (~$724)

I've yet to try look for better deals (http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/ seems a possibility, but price seems a bit steep), its just that getting parts would be a hassle for me, having them delivered somewhere (possibility of damage), or finding somewhere to buy them. Then with the possibility of compatibility issues.

So yeah opinions would be dandy, seeing as I don't want this to go pear shaped.

IlrVSW2.png

#2 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 05:55 AM

The biggest problem I am seeing from those prebuilts is that they don't mention a dedicated GPU.  Since you want to play recent games, you want a PC with a dedicated video card and I am not seeing them in both those two.  

The first one has the best CPU, RAM and a really good HDD space but all I see from GPU is Microsoft Direct X 9.0 H/W compliant 3D Graphics and I suspect it might be a crappy video card.

The 2nd one is a good budget price but it states it uses integrated graphics card which is not what you want for gaming.

If you want to know how to judge a video card look for something that states Nvidia and AMD.  The 2nd thing you want to look for is the series number.  The common nvidia series number right now is 400, 500, 600 and 700.  AMD's common series number is 5000, 6000 and 7000 etc.  The higher the number means when it was released.  Like the 7000 series for AMD was released in 2012.

Here is the most important part though, the 2nd digit of the series number.  If you see something like Nvidia 410, 510 or 610, that means its the lowest end of the series.  In other words it's a really shitty video card.  If you see something like Nvidia 450, 550 or 650, then it's a good budget graphic card.  If you see something like Nvidia 570, 580 or up, then it's a best dedicated video card you can find on the market and these cost a fortune.  If you see a 3rd number that isn't a 0 it's usually just a slightly beefed up version of that card.

Look at their specifications carefully you can see things like how much power these graphic cards need like 500 W PSU etc.  

Edited by kingddd, February 12 2014 - 05:59 AM.

yVRxnqJ.png

-------------------------------------------------

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#3 Madai

Madai

Earn crackers?

• Scrimmer
  • 6915 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 06:01 AM

The biggest problem I am seeing from those prebuilts is that they don't mention a dedicated GPU.  Since you want to play recent games, you want a PC with a dedicated video card and I am not seeing them in both those two.  

The first one has the best CPU, RAM and a really good HDD space but all I see from GPU is Microsoft Direct X 9.0 H/W compliant 3D Graphics and I suspect it might be a crappy video card.

The 2nd one is a good budget price but it states it uses integrated graphics card which is not what you want for gaming.

that is my gripe with it, they say the first one is a gaming one, but really has no graphics card.

Welp I can either go to http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/, another uk site or just find parts, which can be a pain.

IlrVSW2.png

#4 JayManGTA

JayManGTA

That annoying dude that everyone hates.

• Scrimmer
  • 565 posts
  • Demoman

Posted February 12 2014 - 06:39 AM

that is my gripe with it, they say the first one is a gaming one, but really has no graphics card.

Welp I can either go to http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/, another uk site or just find parts, which can be a pain.

I honestly recommend that you build your own PC. It's cheaper if you buy each part individually, not to mention you'll get a 1 or 2 year warranty per part.

#5 Panda-Dog

Panda-Dog

The Real Legend

• Administrators
  • 1264 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 08:14 AM

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Find your budget and then buy the parts and build it

What?

#6 Madai

Madai

Earn crackers?

• Scrimmer
  • 6915 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 10:32 AM

I honestly recommend that you build your own PC. It's cheaper if you buy each part individually, not to mention you'll get a 1 or 2 year warranty per part.

If I recall correctly the uk has a thing with warranty are generally 2 years minimum. 

Well if all of you are recommending building, I guess I'll get the build then to find if its cheaper online or in store.

For those who have built, how often do you get problems with compatibility or other such things.

IlrVSW2.png

#7 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 10:40 AM

If I recall correctly the uk has a thing with warranty are generally 2 years minimum. 

Well if all of you are recommending building, I guess I'll get the build then to find if its cheaper online or in store.

For those who have built, how often do you get problems with compatibility or other such things.

The biggest key part is always the motherboard.  It's the thing you want to look at the first thing you want to buy parts.  What sockets are available for which CPU, RAM and GPU.  If the motherboard only supports AMD CPU sockets then you'll have to get a AMD CPU etc.

The only issue I had once with compatibility was when the PSU I upgraded didn't have a wire long enough to reach one of my mandatory sockets so I had to get an extension which was cheap mind you.

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#8 Madai

Madai

Earn crackers?

• Scrimmer
  • 6915 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 12:45 PM

Using pandas link and other things, I got this

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2S54E

Not sure If everything is ok, might need a few other things, but im unsure what.

IlrVSW2.png

#9 JayManGTA

JayManGTA

That annoying dude that everyone hates.

• Scrimmer
  • 565 posts
  • Demoman

Posted February 12 2014 - 02:04 PM

Using pandas link and other things, I got this

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2S54E

Not sure If everything is ok, might need a few other things, but im unsure what.

I think you might need a more powerful PSU. Check for 550/650W ones.

#10 Madai

Madai

Earn crackers?

• Scrimmer
  • 6915 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 02:36 PM

I think you might need a more powerful PSU. Check for 550/650W ones.

Such as this?

https://uk.pcpartpic...ply-120pg0650gr

I take it things such as Wired or Wireless Network adapter or a case fan aren't needed, or am I being stupid

IlrVSW2.png

#11 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 02:46 PM

Such as this?

I take it things such as Wired or Wireless Network adapter or a case fan aren't needed, or am I being stupid

most motherboards already come with an Ethernet port so you don't really need it.

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#12 Panda-Dog

Panda-Dog

The Real Legend

• Administrators
  • 1264 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 03:19 PM

I will say that 500W is doable for that computer, but I would spring for at least a 600W psu just in case you wish to put more stuff in the PC.

Also make sure you look at the dimensions of your tower compared to your mobo and gpu

What?

#13 Cedarbox

Cedarbox

Married to a skeleton. Platonically.

• Members
  • 3965 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 03:37 PM

Here is the most important part though, the 2nd digit of the series number.  If you see something like Nvidia 410, 510 or 610, that means its the lowest end of the series.  In other words it's a really shitty video card.  If you see something like Nvidia 450, 550 or 650, then it's a good budget graphic card.  If you see something like Nvidia 570, 580 or up, then it's a best dedicated video card you can find on the market and these cost a fortune.  If you see a 3rd number that isn't a 0 it's usually just a slightly beefed up version of that card.

This information needs to be more widely distributed. I never came across anything like this during the research process of my own PC. Would have been so helpful!

Such as this?

Cases usually come with one or two fans but make sure you check the description to make sure. They're usually pretty basic but unless you live somewhere really hot or you're going to be running really intense stuff, stock is probably okay. My case came with one fan and I haven't needed to add another.

Desktops are usually already outfitted for wired internet, it's standard for most motherboards. You probably won't find wireless, but if you're trying to cut as many costs as possible, you can get a USB wireless adapter.

edit: And that's a nice-looking case you picked... bottom mounted PSU too, you don't see that as often. I'm looking for a new case and that looks like it's worth a bookmark. Never mind, noticed it's mid-sized.

There once was a kitty named Tomo
As famous on the Internet as Domo
But his face got all shitty
Because he's a bad kitty
And now he's washed up like Rivers Cuomo

#14 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted February 12 2014 - 03:48 PM

This information needs to be more widely distributed. I never came across anything like this during the research process of my own PC. Would have been so helpful!

Most computer companies take advantage of this lack of knowledge.  Which is why you have so many prebuilds with high end CPU, lots RAM and lots of HDD space but with a Geforce 625 and slap it on with a 1400 dollar value and call it a gaming machine.

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#15 Neh

Neh

Hiya!

• Administrators
  • 3257 posts

Posted February 26 2014 - 06:40 PM

Those builds from the local place near you sound a lot like some of the stuff we sell at the computer shop where I work. In particular the second one, which sounds just like our $745 system except we use all 4th gen Intel CPU/Boards instead of 3rd gen like they are offering. Our 745 has twice the RAM, a mobo with USB 3.0, better chipset, and HDMI out though. Still, not bad.

The build you made with pcparts picker looks great. One little thing though, if I noticed this thread too late its probably not worth saying but I'll say it anyhow.
Unless you plan on overclocking your CPU (which will not help you much for gaming) then you can save some cash by going with the i5 4670 and using the stock cooler, rather than getting the i5 4670k and that 212 cooler.

#16 Mork

Mork

Resident Alien

• Scrimmer
  • 3441 posts

Posted March 28 2014 - 09:54 AM

Don't hate me, I got an x79chipset mobo with an i7-4960x CPU

WOOT!

#17 Madai

Madai

Earn crackers?

• Scrimmer
  • 6915 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 10:29 AM

As before http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2S54E is what Im going for, its going to be ordered in the next week and then built as soon as its all there. 

Any objections or suggestions to different parts, or even screens seeing as I've yet to think of that.

IlrVSW2.png

#18 Cedarbox

Cedarbox

Married to a skeleton. Platonically.

• Members
  • 3965 posts

Posted April 30 2014 - 03:40 PM

It looks good to me.

There once was a kitty named Tomo
As famous on the Internet as Domo
But his face got all shitty
Because he's a bad kitty