Sign in to follow this  
otterwolfy

Facebook acquires Oculus

Facebook doesn't exactly have a good record when it comes to how it treats the companies it buys. I'd be much more inclined to trust Facebook if there was a personal reason for buying Oculus VR. When it comes to business, Facebook is like an abusive spouse: it treats you like shit, says sorry and when you forgive it it treats you like shit again.

What's making this all worse is the PR talk that's coming out of everyone at Oculus.

According to a person involved in the deal who was not allowed to speak publicly because he was not authorized by either company, Facebook eventually plans to redesign the Oculus hardware and rebrand it with a Facebook interface and logo.

What. the. fuck.

It just gets worse and worse.

What. the. fuck.

It just gets worse and worse.

After the initial release it won't really matter; unless they add useful hardware functionality it'll just make the first editions that much more valuable, and in all actuality, later versions will probably be moddable with different interfaces. Unless they plan to turn it into an OS (which really isn't that far off the map, considering Valve and Google throwing their names in) there's no way it can't happen, and the default drivers will still exist for windows/mac/linux.

mobile

tumblr_inline_mwipbzal1F1r3uhdg.jpg

yeah, no, RIP in piss, Oculus Rift

what a shame, it could've been the biggest advancement in interactive media since the analog stick

BUT HEY

at least we'll be able to play FarmVille and Candy Crush Saga in first person view, and have "LIKE AND SHARE" prompts being shoved directly into our eyeballs.

BUT HEY

at least we'll be able to play FarmVille and Candy Crush Saga in first person view, and have "LIKE AND SHARE" prompts being shoved directly into our eyeballs.

And we can pay for microtransactions. IN FIRST PERSON.

Now that I've had the chance to sleep on it... I think I can tolerate this. But it still hurts. This isn't about Oculus, it's about VR. Oculus was just our best chance at it until yesterday. If this motivates other companies, primarily Valve, to put out a better product, then this will be a very good thing.

I just hope there isn't patent abuse going on behind the scenes. I would not put it past Facebook to do such a thing.