Sign in to follow this  
pickledundead

In need of a new OS drive

I believe my current OS drive is starting to fail me so I'm looking into getting a SSD to replace it and figured I'd ask Nommers what recommendations they have. Would prefer to keep the price around $100, current drive is 150Gb and only 85Gb used as a capacity reference, and just gonna be running it as a single drive not pairing it up with any others.

A Samsung 840 Evo would work well. The 120 GB model is in the $80 range. Both my desktop(250 GB) and laptop(120 GB mSATA) have an 840 Evo and I'm very pleased with them.

If you want more capacity you might consider one from Kingston or Crucial. They have 240 GB drives on sale rioght now at newegg for about $120 with similar reported performance to the 840 Evo. I have heard good things, but no personal experience. For comparison, the Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB is $150 on Newegg.

Edited by Neh

For that price range, the Samsung 840 is probably the best bet. If you need a bit more space, you could go for the Crucial M500 240GB; it's only $120.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148694

I've mostly used Corsair in my main Desktop, but I've used Kingston and Crucial in my servers and they are pretty good.

Edited by Sidewinder

I have two Crucial M4's, no trouble. Really any drive is fine now. Samsung, Munchkin, and Crucial are all worth looking into. Intel drives are the best but the price certainly reflects that. The only SSD's to look out for are ones with the sandforce driver which have a very high failure rate. However these are really only in older OCZ, Sandisk, and even some Intel drives.