Photo

Vintage Maps Testing Thread

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Vintage Maps Testing Thread (5 member(s) have cast votes)

How should classic/vintage maps be handled?

1. Incorporate any maps not already included into the current vote system as is. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Add them in a seperate vote/nomination catagory. (4 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

3. Do not add any maps not already on the vote/nominate list. (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Other. Please post your other suggestion. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

If you selected answer 2 or otherwise in favor of a seperate catagory, what is your preference on implimention?

1. Add all those maps to their own catagory and not present in the current gametype catagories (1 votes [20.00%])

2. As above but instead include those maps in their appropriate gametype catagory (2 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. Only have lower quality and much older/underutilized maps only in the catagory and the rest in the normal gametype catagories (1 votes [20.00%])

4. Other. Please post your other suggestion. (1 votes [20.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts
  • Minecraft:MrTinder
  • Pyro, Demoman, Engineer, Medic

Posted July 19 2014 - 03:08 PM

Looking through our map list I realize we have a very large amount of much older maps that are underutilized for one reason or another. While some of them have aged well and are currently still in our normal vote and nominate listing, other have aged poorly in terms of visuals, while others have just faded out of memory due to time. These maps may still hold a nostalgic value to some and may even still present fun, unique, and variable gameplay. I'd like to hear everyone's feedback, ideas, criticism, etc. on adding such maps that are not already on our vote and nomination list.

Below I've compiled a list of maps with links, most of which are 4 to 6 years old. While a majority of these maps are not currently able to be voted or nominated on, a few of them are on our current list of votable maps. Also if you think any map(s) should be added to this listing or likewise removed, please leave a post about it.

Spoiler:

#2 nosoop

nosoop

in ur vps, wreckin' ur stuf

• Members
  • 2752 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 03:29 PM

I'd like to see Beignet, Convoy, Vector, Persia, Follower in their respective categories.

Convoy is arguably a staple in terms of custom maps. Vector's one of the few A/D CTF maps we have. Don't see anything wrong with the others I mentioned, but that's my personal opinion.

#3 Soviet

Soviet

I post a lot!

• Scrim Admins
  • 2100 posts
  • Soldier, Pyro, Demoman

Posted July 19 2014 - 03:41 PM

From what I remember of Amsterdam, it didn't play very well at all. It's a nice looking map though.I remember roswell, deadwood, and corporation being played a decent amount as well. 

I would love for boulder, broma, follower, beignet, persia, copperhead, fallout, dammed, universe, and japan being played again.  I think the maps can be added to a separate category of vintage maps, however I would not mind at all if they are categorized within the current voting system.

Edited by Soviet, July 19 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#4 Cedarbox

Cedarbox

Married to a skeleton. Platonically.

• Members
  • 3965 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 03:51 PM

Why don't we just work our way through them all on the server, give them all a fresh play through, and decide what deserves to be tossed and what deserves to stay? It might take a while, but it seems like a fair way to review them.

There once was a kitty named Tomo
As famous on the Internet as Domo
But his face got all shitty
Because he's a bad kitty
And now he's washed up like Rivers Cuomo

#5 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 05:32 PM

Hmm, alright. I'm going to throw up a temporary vintage map group on UMC along with some other minor changes this evening so we can play through them and get feedback from players on the server.

#6 William Dogood

William Dogood

I post a lot!

• Administrators
  • 5771 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 05:37 PM

Roswell is in a category already and has actually been voted in a few times recently. I agree with playing a bunch of them one of these nights. Maybe install a map vote plugin for some easy disposable feedback.

William Dogood: No...not the juice!

M31: That's not what Hitler said.

esiObC2.gif

#7 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 06:38 PM

As in a map rate plugin?

Also added the temporary map group onto the server so the maps are now up to be played through for feedback.

#8 William Dogood

William Dogood

I post a lot!

• Administrators
  • 5771 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 08:23 PM

Err, yeah. Sorry, map rate was what I meant.

William Dogood: No...not the juice!

M31: That's not what Hitler said.

esiObC2.gif

#9 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 09:29 PM

No worries and yeah it would be one way to get feedback. Though like most map testing we've done the most and best is verbal/text during texting so we'll see. Could just temporary turn it on if everyone want to just try out those maps one night in succession.

#10 QuaintHazard

QuaintHazard

Hazardly Hazardous

• TF2 Admins
  • 3850 posts

Posted July 20 2014 - 10:40 AM

I was actually talking to Fat Cat about this on Friday when I was downloading all of the Nom maps on my newer PC, and I too, noticed that a lot of the maps downloaded are vintage maps, most of which are never used anymore. In fact, I noted that there were some achievement maps and the old mario_kart map included as well that should probably be removed from the server anyway (http://gamedownloads...nom.us/tf/maps/).

I think it would be a good idea to go through maps in succession as suggested, and do a vote on whether or not they should stay, but given the size of the list it may be a bit difficult doing it all in one night (unless each map is only set for 1 round).

Posted Image

#11 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted July 23 2014 - 11:58 PM

First batch of maps we've tested in the past few days. Note that these were maps tested when we had a decent amount of players on the server playing then plus a public vote on people like or dislike of the map. I'll be removing the vintage tag and from the vintage group as we come to a consensus on map so we know which maps have and have not been tested without having to cross reference the forums or a text document. Also feel free to add you're input on the maps that have been played or contest the general consensus. Plus I'm pulling this from my short term memory so I'm bound to miss something or make some errors.

Keeping

Spoiler:

Cp_Delve

Interestingly themed map, mostly underground and indoor Spytech areas and aesthetically cool. Played alright though we only had enough time for one round of each of the three stages with the same teams playing offense and defense. The general consensus seemed positive and players were intrigued by certain aspects of the map.

Cp_Fallout

This map has been played here and there in the past year though bit bland. In addition most players are confused to the location of point C which direction isn't displayed well for new players. While the consensus was mixed it was more on the positive side so I'm thinking of still keeping it on the list. Plus aesthetically and visually it seems to fit the tf2 badlands norm of quality.

Ctf_Switch

An old Ctf map that use to be predominately played on the server in prior years. Seemed to still hold up to the current gameplay environment, nothing broken, and the general consensus was positive in terms of a vote.

Koth_Switcheroo

Small sized Koth map with a more vertical emphasis. Played alright abide a bit cramped in some areas. Mostly positive votes though was more mixed. One noticeable complaint was capture point time in which Pikachu has made a tweak on. May need some fine tuning in that regard but otherwise was alright.

Throwing Out

Spoiler:

Cp_Taiga

We quickly recalled why we didn't play this map much. The gameplay was not fun in terms of firefights and encounter spaces. Ended the map test fast after one round and the majority of votes were negative along with valid complaints about the map.

Cp_Overflow

Quite rough around the edges gameplay and aesthetically, and many a times the work "clusterfuck" were said. Has not aged well and meant for the original vanilla tf2. Majority negative vote and comments.

Tc_Meridian

Has not aged well at all, on top of the mix of ctf varient in TC can make it one sided very quickly. Most of the outdoor areas were not fun to play in at all and specific spots were problematic in terms of encounter spaces being odd in addition to some confusion on map directions.

Ctf_Premuda

While visually appealing, the gameplay flow on the map was pretty awful. Confusion in directions, the odd level design such as major choke points or unused paths, and other oddities made the map felt frustrating to play on. General negative comments and votes.

#12 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts

Posted August 22 2014 - 05:14 PM

Another batch of maps. Been a bit slower with various things going on a bit but got some more to prune out of our selection. Also note that I'm going to be much more busy with College starting to keep tabs on all the vintage maps that are played, so I'd appreciate it if people would leave map feedback in this thread, on steam, or forward me a demo.

Keeping

Spoiler:

Pl_Downhill
High percentage of positive votes. Layout is pretty good though cramped in some sections. Aesthetically fits the normal valve map theme.

Inconclusive

Spoiler:

Cp_Ironbowl

Somewhat odd and interesting setup with it being like a multistage in a single stage. Laser gates prevented movement into other areas by the offensive team till the point were capped and a small setup timer in between for the defenders. Votes were mostly neutral but more so positive than negative so I'm going to keep it on the vintage maplist for further feedback and testing for now.

Throwing Out

Spoiler:

Plr_Vegas

There were numerous clipping issues with props and skybox as well as gimmicky focus than actual decent map gameplay. Focus more so around fitting the "Vegas" theme than actually tailored to any decent gameplay. Also had a majority negative vote and comments.

Cp_Wolf

Cap point times are too long and hallways in some areas are problematic. In addition to some other...sillyness.

*DEAD* Pikachu on LSD :  what do we like / not like about this map?
*DEAD* Tomato [SWF2] :  it's shit
Red :  THAT RED CAN GET INTO BLU SPAWN
*DEAD* Dr. Soul :  I like that it's open
*DEAD* The_Victor :  The map is too big, favors scout mobility and offers no cover
12:05 AM - Pikachu on LSD: The_Victor :  Corridor too far long and narrow, doesn't favor anything but train grouped movements
Tomato [SWF2] :  that and it's obviously glitchy
Sentry Gun (HatTheTurtle) :  It favours scouts except for all the hallways in between the 2 spaces they're good
12:06 AM - Pikachu on LSD: The_Victor :  Some parts of the maps are good (Crates area) But other places just drags to give the feeling of an open space
*DEAD* Cloud :  its a scout sniper maybe soldier map mostly
he_Victor :  And why is there 2 corridors leading to C? one is enough
Mugi*Donut :  It's a bullshit map is what it is :V Cloud coming in and fucking my shit

Pl_Haywood

Too long of timers for the defenders, lack of directions and signs, and very open in some areas. Majority vote to not keep it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users