Sign in to follow this  
Cedarbox

Robin Williams dead from apparent suicide

Oscar-winner Robin Williams, whose free-form comedy and adept impressions dazzled audiences for decades, has died in an apparent suicide. He was 63.

The Marin County Sheriff's Office says Williams was pronounced dead at his home in California on Monday. The sheriff's office says a preliminary investigation shows the cause of death to be a suicide due to asphyxia.

Link

A better article

I found it pretty hard to believe when I found out.

Such a shame...

He's not someone I would expect to commit suicide. He was always so happy and energetic. But I guess that's how it goes... I hope his family will be okay, I know he had a kid.

He's not someone I would expect to commit suicide. He was always so happy and energetic. But I guess that's how it goes... I hope his family will be okay, I know he had a kid.

a pretty awesome daughter

This sure brought a halt to my workout. From what I've read so far, he's been battling depression and substance abuse for some time after years of sobriety. Makes me worry about myself. His various roles touched many. He will be missed.

It's always terrible to hear when someone that makes people laugh and always seems so cheerful commits suicide. Just goes to show how shitty depression can be. Robin Williams was always someone I looked up to, and to hear that he succumbed to this sort of thing makes me incredibly sad. I hope his family is able to grieve in peace at the very least.

Edit: *sees Mahbonk's post* I hate America

Just goes to show that no matter how cheerful someone seems on the outside, there can always been deep sadness on the inside.

He was a good man, and his family has my condolences.

So sad to see him go. One of my favorite comedians. 

Hook, What Dreams May Come, Jumanji, Aladdin. All great movies that defined my childhood. It was stupid of me to think so, but I never thought I'd live to see this day.

Take a good rest, my good man. You deserve that much.

I keep typing up responses but I don't really know how to speak my thoughts on this coherently. Just, growing up without a father, that sort of had some sort of absence. But watching Robin Williams movies, I would often fantasize that he was my dad, and that made me feel better imagining it. He helped me through alot of my childhood and now this happens and this... bleh.

This sucks.

So sad :c I didn't believe it when I heard it at first.

I was shocked when I heard this. He was always able to make people happy with his comedy. I remember learning that he improved his lines during Dead Poets' Society in order to get genuine laughs out of the young actors around him. When he was shown playing Zelda with his daughter in the Ocarina of Time 3D commercials they looked so happy. RIP

I am so sad Robin died...I feel like someone really important to me just died even though he wasn't related to me. He meant so much, his whole person was just something that was just magical. Whenever I saw his face I was happy and now he's gone. I seriously wish I could've done something. It makes me feel bad knowing that I couldn't stop such a great man from killing himself...

One of the best.  He was one of my old man's favorite actors (Hook especially).  I still remember watching his stuff when I was younger.

I know I probably hold a really unpopular opinion, but I love Mork and Mindy. Granted I haven't watched it since I hit puberty, but when my mom first showed it to me I knew Robin Williams would be my favorite actor from then on. Outside of my family he was the first person I learned to identify by name, sight, and voice.

I may not have known him personally or anything, but I'm in mourning. My heart goes out to his family and friends. My family recently went through a great loss like they are experiencing now and I can only hope they find solace in the fact that he single-handedly touched the lives of oh-so-many and they have the love and support of millions.

Rest in Peace, Robin, O captain, my captain.

look for marc maron's podcast interview with williams if you're interested in what kind of demons he's had to deal with.

it's not gonna be like most interviews where you'll be reduced to a gigglepuss, but you'll get the idea.

sorry, I would've posted it here but I can't seem to embed anything on this newish forum.

In my opinion, Robin Williams was one of those actors who always played themselves in movies, or at least the same type of character.

That doesn't take away from the fact he always seemed to be a very kind and soft-hearted person.