Sign in to follow this  
Fat Cat

GamerGate and journalist corruption thread

Apparently this happened awhile ago, but I haven't heard anything about it until now. From what I can tell, most everything about this story has been censored out the ass, including some "copyright claims" hitting Youtube videos about it. TotalBiscuit talks more about it here: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s4nmr1/?

The long and short of it is that Zoey Quinn the developer of Depression Quest is being accused of exploiting the nepotism that tends to plague this industry by getting a bunch of favorable coverage from people she has supposedly slept with. In addition to this, videos supposedly critical of these actions have been taken down from Youtube with copyright claims, including a video by a smaller channel called MundaneMatt. It's difficult to tell what is true and what is not.

So yeah, no idea what to believe, but might as well know what's going on, if anything.

Edit: A more recent video going over some details of more recent events A bunch of videos explaining what the fuck is happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-51PfwI3M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKmy5OKg6lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km3DZQp0StE

This is my current favorite flaming shitstorm tornado. Every new detail and bit of information sends me into a sadistic glee. On top of that, it's all at the expense of the integrity (ha) of gaming journalism, making it almost victimless.

Awe yeah Fat Cat, I love the internet aristocrat

I only just found him/these videos today, but he sure is good at explaining things, damn.

I've been hearing pieces about this on and off over the past few weeks, but after taking a look at the videos, holy crap. And they haven't even uncovered everything, and its a huge mess. How wide does this network of corruption even go?

It seems like people are either way overreacting to this or there's something else going on. I'm an indifferent and probably under-informed party, so I don't particularly care how this unfolds. Either way, it's journalism; gaming or not, there's always some level of corruption. It's sad that it's how the industry works but what can you do?

It seems like people are either way overreacting to this or there's something else going on. I'm an indifferent and probably under-informed party, so I don't particularly care how this unfolds. Either way, it's journalism; gaming or not, there's always some level of corruption. It's sad that it's how the industry works but what can you do?

Pretty much for me too.  Journalism and any form of media is pretty much propaganda even if the original intention is not suppose to.

All I wanted to do was play video games that are

fun

FUCK THAT WE NEED MAH FEMINISM, SJW, DIVERSITY, A BUNCH OF THINGS THAT NOBODY CARED BUT WE'RE ADDING IT IN BECAUSE WE'RE PROGRESSIVE!!!

DRAGON AGE will have the greatest homosexual relationship eva.  What is gameplay?

Either way, it's journalism; gaming or not, there's always some level of corruption. It's sad that it's how the industry works but what can you do?

I'd rather not wave it off like that. I get what you're saying, but journalism is meant to uncover corruption, not be chin deep in it. It shouldn't be acceptable or normal in any type of coverage.

oh boy, my favorite shit storm of the month

I seriously hope this ends in blood...or someone doing something about Zoe.

I was thinking of posting this when I first found out about a week ago but didn't know if it was appopriate.

It's crazy how deep this conspiracy goes, and as much as I don't really care about gaming journalism, I do care about shitty games getting unfair promotion and good stuff being shut down, so I get this giddy feeling whenever more dirt shows up. It's great.

Also, I find it crazy how even Adam Baldwin started supporting the #GamerGate thing.

I really wish SJW culture would start fading out...

It won't die out because it's profitable for people who can take advantage of it. i.e. FemFreq's Kickstarter and its.... consistent quality both before and afterwards. I still remember the hilarity when Anita tweeted about buying new (read: expensive) shoes right afterward.

And unfortunately 'gaming' 'journalism' sites decided to make this their agenda, whether it be for clickbait or otherwise.

I got Fez essentially for free and I still can't be assed to play it. Phil Fish can suck a dick and choke on it.

As it turns out, reading that picture I linked after seeing all of this scandal play out, it all makes sense why he actually won the grand prize at IGF. Go figure.

Anyway, here's something started by Boogie, though I'm not sure exactly how helpful it'd be

https://www.change.org/p/the-gaming-industry-please-stop-the-hate?recruiter=147447955

As it turns out, reading that picture I linked after seeing all of this scandal play out, it all makes sense why he actually won the grand prize at IGF. Go figure.

Exactly. He's a hack and has always been a hack.

"PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO ME, I'M STILL RELEVANT, I SWEAR"