• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 William Dogood

William Dogood

I post a lot!

• Administrators
  • 5771 posts

Posted November 10 2014 - 01:27 AM

Probably the first game I joined in on Kickstarter is releasing in December after half a year in beta. This multiplayer space sim offers a huge galaxy to explore and conquer. There was no topic and I wanted to share in case no one has heard about it.

Elite is a very old space sim series that launched its first game in 1984, with its final release in 1995, offering a life sized Milky Way galaxy to explore, each and every solar system along with letting you land on every single planet you could find. With the fourth game rumored to be in development, 15 years later nothing came of it until finally in 2012 David Braben who was one of the original developers launched a Kickstarter to get the fourth game made. 20 years later, the gorgeous fourth game is finally here.

This is all gameplay from the beta. In the first video the players smuggles illegal cargo into a base by completely powering down everything on his ship so he can't be picked up by the popo. Second video is a pretty good intro to the game in general.

William Dogood: No...not the juice!

M31: That's not what Hitler said.

esiObC2.gif

#2 Martin Wolf

Martin Wolf

Optimist.

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted November 10 2014 - 02:34 PM

I discovered this game only a month or so ago, I think while I was trying to find out what exactly Star Citizen is at this point. Looks really good, but after having seen it played with an Oculus Rift and a HOTAS flight setup, I just reaaaly want to play it that way.

#3 Ager

Ager

Shitposter extraordinaire

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted November 10 2014 - 03:20 PM

What is this game, even?

Are there defined goals, or do you just do whatever?

It has multiplayer, but is it co-op or an MMO like EVE? Are there subscription fees? Is there also a single-player mode?

What is the metagame? Do you upgrade or customize your ship, or do you get new ones?

#4 William Dogood

William Dogood

I post a lot!

• Administrators
  • 5771 posts

Posted November 10 2014 - 04:01 PM

You pretty much just do whatever you like, there isn't a story or predefined goals. Most players will no doubt work around upgrading their ships or buying new ones. I don't really know how deep it goes right now, but support isn't ending at launch with more content being added in patches and later expansions.

Both single player and multiplayer. There's no sub, but the game has been funding itself much like Star Citizen is, with a micro transaction shop selling skins. The universe is so large however that multiplayer is more incidental rather than deliberate. Though you can group up with friends, the player who gets the final shot on a ship takes the loot so you'll sort that out on your own. You can travel somewhere that a lot of players may hang around, but you'll only be phased in with a limited number of players.

William Dogood: No...not the juice!

M31: That's not what Hitler said.

esiObC2.gif

#5 Ager

Ager

Shitposter extraordinaire

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted November 11 2014 - 03:41 AM

I'll give similar games a try (like X3) before jumping the fence

#6 Lemming

Lemming

W+M1 Pyro Mage

• Administrators
  • 2411 posts

Posted March 28 2015 - 08:38 PM

Just starting playing with from friends from work after they added wing support.  Commander name "Fni".

Metasheep.com
Flikr page

♫ 99 little bugs in the code,
99 bugs in the code
We fix a bug, compile it again
101 little bugs in the code ♫

The problem with the bleeding edge of technology is that it bleeds all over you and causes bugs.

FlamingDonut: and i dont even have balls

My boss: It comes down to etiquette and lasers.

FlamingDonut141: found a fancy dress...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users