35 replies to this topic

#21 Dr. Soul

Dr. Soul

ech

• Scrimmer
  • 6921 posts
  • Scout, Pyro, Demoman, Medic

Posted November 20 2014 - 07:21 PM

This is the big thing. Right now it would be better for us to sacrifice replays/videos in order to allow the community to come back to life with pubbers. We simply need more people if anything like that is going to work in a way that is genuine.

but hasn't that been implemented for a while already? that doesn't seem to be working...

I don't know. What do we really want? do we want the server to be full 24/7 like before? or do we just want the community to be bigger? like I said, I'm ok with how things are right now but if we have a clear objective in mind then we have to work towards that, even if it feels a bit forced. We need things to happen if we want something to change. 

I suggest a poll of some sort to decide what everyone wants for the community first. 

"why am I the only one here not having a cock here?" -Fox McCrits

"Hey did you know that 4000 cats are eaten in China? Wanna pretend I'm asian and let me eat your pussyyyyy?"-Pikachu on LSD 

#22 William Dogood

William Dogood

I post a lot!

• Administrators
  • 5771 posts

Posted November 20 2014 - 07:34 PM

Hasn't what been implemented Soul?

William Dogood: No...not the juice!

M31: That's not what Hitler said.

esiObC2.gif

#23 Fat Cat

Fat Cat

YOOP

• TF2 Admins
  • 6999 posts

Posted November 20 2014 - 07:38 PM

but hasn't that been implemented for a while already? that doesn't seem to be working...

What we're saying is that even though we're on quickplay, we're on a setting that makes us much harder to find simply because we're neither 24 or 30+. The reason for this is because the replay bot is creating a 25th slot and forcing us to choose an option that is much less populated. Simply taking out the bot and making the server 24 slots will allow us to be seen by the largest pool of people and help get the server populated by random people. 

As for your question, the answer is yes. We want both. Pubbers will create activity on the server, which in turns brings the community to life. These things aren't mutually exclusive, and neither one is detrimental to the health of Nom.

sig-1.png
Pyros hate you back.

M31: *remains a dancing obama* nope

M31: SPACE DICK

#24 William Dogood

William Dogood

I post a lot!

• Administrators
  • 5771 posts

Posted November 20 2014 - 07:43 PM

Oh yeah, I'm sorry I didn't clarify that point. Tomato brought this to our attention recently. There are three settings for quick play, 24, 30+, and Don't Care. We can only be found on Don't Care, and we have to be running a stock map. Currently the server with nobody on it is on a custom map, nobody could even join with quick play if they wanted too.

I don't think anyone actually has any idea whether or not it would help, but given the new information about the player settings and custom maps, we really haven't even tried.

The first Nomtage was released in June 2009, 20 months after TF2 released. The server had already built a decent community without the videos, they just rocketed us up the food chain. We have far fewer players now than we did before the videos.

Spoiler:
2Ue0QQI.png

esiObC2.gif

#25 M31

M31

geeettttttt dunked on!!!

• TF2 Admins
  • 2204 posts
  • Scout, Pyro, Engineer, Sniper

Posted November 20 2014 - 08:06 PM

Sorry, I've got to make a really important point here.

There's several nommers playing right TF2 at this moment and it's not on the Nom server.

That's part of the problem.

9RUOfZq.gif

76561198025756690.png

#26 Dr. Soul

Dr. Soul

ech

• Scrimmer
  • 6921 posts

Posted November 20 2014 - 08:31 PM

I'm guessing a 30+ option isn't really beneficial either? I don't know much about statistic in matchmaking in tf2 or if having 30+ people is really bad for the server. 

There's several nommers playing right TF2 at this moment and it's not on the Nom server.

The pikachu server seems to fill up almost every weekend, even though it is intended for testing up things and not actually for nom plays. I kind of agree with that being part of the problem. The solution might be for pika to change the password and just people joining the nom server instead.

I understand there's a possibility to grow without videos but for that we would need to have a filled up server 24/7 but I'm pretty sure the regulars only want to play when regulars play and so we're back at square 1. Maybe start a division for SFM videos (like you said) so that we start attracting people based on that would be better if you think forcing the videos of the server would be bad. 

I think comparing back then and today would be a bit unfair though for some reasons (no matchmaking, more people interested in joining communities, more people playing tf2 24/7, etc). Right now people don't approach the communities in the same way. 

I don't know, I feel like the ideas are a bit split up, getting different purposes. Still think we need to think the most important objective. Sure, other things might happen in consequence but it's easier to focus in one things at the time. 

"Hey did you know that 4000 cats are eaten in China? Wanna pretend I'm asian and let me eat your pussyyyyy?"-Pikachu on LSD 

#27 nosoop

nosoop

in ur vps, wreckin' ur stuf

• Members
  • 2740 posts

Posted November 20 2014 - 09:07 PM

I'm guessing a 30+ option isn't really beneficial either? I don't know much about statistic in matchmaking in tf2 or if having 30+ people is really bad for the server. 

The pikachu server seems to fill up almost every weekend, even though it is intended for testing up things and not actually for nom plays. I kind of agree with that being part of the problem. The solution might be for pika to change the password and just people joining the nom server instead.

Correct, 30+ is non-standard.  Then again, 24-slot nocrits is also non-standard, so who knows where that'll go.

There's nothing stopping the community from heading to Oatmeal, if as a community you'd like to do that.

#28 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts
  • Minecraft:MrTinder
  • Pyro, Demoman, Engineer, Medic

Posted November 20 2014 - 09:23 PM

Just for organizational sake here is a list of server suggestion thus far in addition to a few of my own for Quickplay and just attracting players.

• Removing the replay bot to bump the server capacity down to 24 player for Quickplay

• Enabling Random Crits and Damage Spread for Quickplay

• Reducing custom map weight and increasing stock map weight due to Quickplay only connecting players on stock maps

• Reduced map time on custom maps to about 2/3rd or so of our current time limits

• If the server has been empty for a set amount of time, have it auto-switch to a stock map

• Minimization or removal of custom file downloads.

Also should we reintroduce player map cycles? The current setup with UMC was originally meant for a much larger active server population and letting people have a week dedicated to their selected map cycle allows more investment in the community in general. Plus and incentive for newer players to interact with the community and down the road being able to have their own week.

#29 Dr. Soul

Dr. Soul

ech

• Scrimmer
  • 6921 posts

Posted November 20 2014 - 09:34 PM

Just for organizational sake here is a list of server suggestion thus far in addition to a few of my own for Quickplay and just attracting players.

I'd be ok with these 3 for quickplay purposes.

#30 Cloud

Cloud

Rakist

• Members
  • 1533 posts
  • Pyro

Posted November 21 2014 - 09:57 AM

While it's not a deal breaker for me, one thing I have to note is, like. I used to get about 70-80 ping on nom. Not great, but pretty manageable. Now it's over 100, meanwhile on Pikachu's it's like 40 or less. I'm not saying anything can be done or something but I know a good number of peoples pings have rose on nom which kind of hurts some peoples playability on the server.

dDHukhF.png

#31 William Dogood

William Dogood

I post a lot!

• Administrators
  • 5771 posts

Posted November 21 2014 - 01:09 PM

His server is on the East coast, which doesn't make sense for the community because we've always been a West coast community. If you're playing in the East, you'll have a better ping.

esiObC2.gif

#32 Dr. Soul

Dr. Soul

ech

• Scrimmer
  • 6921 posts

Posted November 21 2014 - 02:21 PM

Actually it's been the complete opposite for me on Pikachu's server. On nom I have 100 ping (normal ping for me on US servers, I don't really notice any problem anymore) but on Pikachu with more than 10 people I usually get from 150 to 250 ping. On nom I do get occasional lag with a lot of people only, with pikachu's if it goes above 15 people it becomes the worst experience. Being central based I have no preference on coasts, but because' pikachu's server is Canada based it is harder for me. But because that's where everyone is I can't go to nom. :/ 

#33 Mr. Tinder

Mr. Tinder

Mhm hudda mhf

• Administrators
  • 2915 posts
  • Minecraft:MrTinder
  • Pyro, Demoman, Engineer, Medic

Posted November 21 2014 - 04:44 PM

There's nothing stopping the community from heading to Oatmeal, if as a community you'd like to do that.

But because that's where everyone is I can't go to nom. :/ 

And this is why I'm in favor of Pika locking his server up. Its not about choice or X server being better than Y server but instead a bandwagon effect of people wanting to play with other people. If one server is empty and another has just one person on it which would you pick? And subsequently snow balls from there when another person follows the same route or sees their friend hopping onto TF2.

#34 nosoop

nosoop

in ur vps, wreckin' ur stuf

• Members
  • 2740 posts

Posted November 21 2014 - 08:47 PM

Alright.  All I can guarantee is that I will be adding measures in place to prevent a bandwagon effect on my server.

By default, all public-profiled players in the Ratty's TF2 Server and Nom Field Trip groups are automatically kicked.

I honestly don't believe that alone will do anything, but if it works, then it works.

Edited by nosoop, November 21 2014 - 11:23 PM.

#35 Dr. Soul

Dr. Soul

ech

• Scrimmer
  • 6921 posts

Posted November 21 2014 - 10:15 PM

Another idea might be getting people to animate the old nomtages in SFM. There are a few SFM artists here (I wish I could do it but my computer can't handle SFM) and I'm sure that if we get the funniest bunch and animate them it will attract some people. If anything I could write up the storyboards as soon as I finish my semester. 

#36 Cornish Game Hen

Cornish Game Hen

Something happened

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted November 23 2014 - 11:57 AM

I don't think it will ever get back to the peak of its popularity, as it was a few years ago. Now it's due to a lot of factors such as the main playerbase becoming older, having more responsibilites and so less time to play, and not forgetting that TF2 itself is 7 years old. But I know most people aren't expecting it to get back to that level, the majority would probably just want the occasional hour or so to catch up with people they haven't played with in ages. The problem with a community at that sort of stage is that if everyone isn't exactly actively playing but instead wants to pop in for a few rounds a few times a month or less, it's unlikely that the server will already be full enough to bother. I know a few times in the past I've been overtaken by nostalgia and when I've gone to check on the server at peak times it's been empty, and I don't often have the time to join and wait for people to join in turn. Even checking my friends list which has quite a few old regulars, not many play TF2 at any point at all that I see.

But I wouldn't give up on it. It's strange to think that I was 16 when I first started playing on nom, now 21 and I sunk many hours and had a lot of fun over the course of the year and a half I remained a regular. I would definitely be up for even the monthly session if I knew that the server would have at least a handful of people on it. Now I may be wrong in assuming that the place is dead 24/7 but from my experience the last few times I've played TF2 it's definitely been that way. I think the only real solution in this case would be to schedule a couple of times each month at reasonable hours that people could join knowing there'd be people playing. This reeks of forcing things a bit but it's better than stagnation.

Once again I know at this point I haven't been anything near a regular in around three years and over the last year have probably only played less than a handful of times with you lot, so my experience of the situation may be skewed. Maybe it is active for a couple of days a week or something, I don't know,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users