• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Robomoto

Robomoto

Big Poster

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted March 27 2015 - 12:30 PM

I got a new computer recently because my 4-5 year old one finally went kaput. The new computer I have is nice, but I need a dedicated graphics card for it.

the Stats on the new computer are as follows:

Windows 8.1

12 Gb Memory (DDR3)

430W  power supply (though I can transfer a recently installed 600W one from me old computer if need be.)

Intel i5-4570 3.20 GHz

I'm looking for a card that can run most games well, but not insanly expensive. So any advice on cards would be great, thanks in advance.

"I don't have any marshmallows! And even if I did, I wouldn't give any to you!"
"Now I can solve up to 800 problems a minute!"

Backpack
Posted Image

#2 nosoop

nosoop

in ur vps, wreckin' ur stuf

• Members
  • 2752 posts

Posted March 27 2015 - 02:22 PM

If you're looking for something fairly balanced, I think you'll want to transfer the power supply and grab an R9 280X.

It's AMD though, so as long as you're not taking advantage of NVidia's h.264 encoder (i.e., streaming or recording gameplay), you should be fine.

Source: My ass and Logical Increments' "Superb" build.

#3 Toamto

Toamto

tromboner

• Administrators
  • 1920 posts

Posted March 27 2015 - 02:35 PM

I have a R9 270x and the only problems I've had with that line are AMD's usual strange quirks that they haven't fixed after years (i.e. the mouse pointer randomly becomes distorted until you put it in the upper-right corner of monitor 1)

#4 Robomoto

Robomoto

Big Poster

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted March 27 2015 - 02:50 PM

If you're looking for something fairly balanced, I think you'll want to transfer the power supply and grab an R9 280X.

It's AMD though, so as long as you're not taking advantage of NVidia's h.264 encoder (i.e., streaming or recording gameplay), you should be fine.

Source: My ass and Logical Increments' "Superb" build.

Nah, I don't need it for those things, so it should be fine. Also it turns out to be $10 cheaper on Amazon with a $20 mail in rebate, so I may go there because I have Amazon Prime.

I have a R9 270x and the only problems I've had with that line are AMD's usual strange quirks that they haven't fixed after years (i.e. the mouse pointer randomly becomes distorted until you put it in the upper-right corner of monitor 1)

Which one? There seem to be several diffrent types on Amazon.

Backpack
Posted Image

#5 Toamto

Toamto

tromboner

• Administrators
  • 1920 posts

Posted March 27 2015 - 03:26 PM

Nah, I don't need it for those things, so it should be fine. Also it turns out to be $10 cheaper on Amazon with a $20 mail in rebate, so I may go there because I have Amazon Prime.

Which one? There seem to be several diffrent types on Amazon.

The 280x and 270x are more or less the same card different power, I think the 270x has a bit less power consumption but the 280x is a bit more powerful.

#6 nosoop

nosoop

in ur vps, wreckin' ur stuf

• Members
  • 2752 posts

Posted March 27 2015 - 03:45 PM

The 280x and 270x are more or less the same card different power, I think the 270x has a bit less power consumption but the 280x is a bit more powerful.

According to LI, it's looking like a ~27% increase in performance for a 22% increase in price ($180, $220).  Your call on whether or not it's worth it.  (Though also, might be good to give info on the PSU, since with certifications, wattage isn't the only important thing.)

#7 Robomoto

Robomoto

Big Poster

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted March 27 2015 - 05:11 PM

Okay, I've decided on what I want to do. Thanks for the advice guys.

Backpack
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users