Photo

Update: 2015-06-02 + Blog Post: Announcing the Maps Workshop Beta!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nosoop

nosoop

in ur vps, wreckin' ur stuf

• Members
  • 2752 posts

Posted June 02 2015 - 01:36 PM

Early warning for today's update.

Source.

maps_workshop_beta.png

Are you great at making fun, addictive TF2 maps? Do you have no idea how to make a map, but you like playing on them? Are you only vaguely aware of what maps are and prefer to just walk in a single direction until you find what you're looking for? Introducing the Maps Workshop Beta, a place for all three of you to upload, enjoy or just learn about the existence of maps!

The Maps Workshop Beta is an in-development one-stop hub where mapmakers can instantly upload and get feedback on their maps. Simply head over to the in-game Workshop tool and click on the new Maps button. If you're just in the market to play new maps, you can now browse the Maps Workshop and up-vote and subscribe to maps you likeā€”or just connect to a server running a Workshop map and it will download automatically from the Workshop.

And remember, this is a Beta that we'll be working to improve. The TF2 team is incredibly appreciative of your feedback.

Via the Steam store:

• Announcing the Maps Workshop Beta!
    • Check out the blog post for more information
    • Added bsp_repack command to repack a BSP file with optimal compression
    • Maps uploaded to the workshop are automatically compressed
    • Added tf_workshop_refresh command to recheck tracked workshop maps and refresh subscriptions
    • Added tf_workshop_map_sync command to immediately install a map from the workshop by ID
    • Added sv_allow_point_servercommand to disable point_servercommand entities. Defaults to "official" Valve maps only. Can also be set to "disallow" and "always".

#2 Cedarbox

Cedarbox

Married to a skeleton. Platonically.

• Members
  • 3965 posts

Posted June 02 2015 - 02:06 PM

Oooooh...

I like this.

There once was a kitty named Tomo
As famous on the Internet as Domo
But his face got all shitty
Because he's a bad kitty
And now he's washed up like Rivers Cuomo

#3 Toamto

Toamto

tromboner

• Administrators
  • 1920 posts

Posted June 02 2015 - 03:06 PM

Finally, an official custom maps repository. The future looks bright.

#4 DANGER_HIGH_VOLTAGE

DANGER_HIGH_VOLTAGE

Judgement!

• TF2 Admins
  • 5126 posts

Posted June 02 2015 - 03:55 PM

This seems very useful. Is there a way for server owners to have their server subscribe to maps so that they can update automatically and be the same as the version the players who subscribed to the map have, or do server owners still have to manually update the maps on their server?

[insert pun here]

The Nom Master of Drowning! (Take my word for it.)
Tumblr

#5 nosoop

nosoop

• Members
  • 2752 posts

Posted June 02 2015 - 10:52 PM

This seems very useful. Is there a way for server owners to have their server subscribe to maps so that they can update automatically and be the same as the version the players who subscribed to the map have, or do server owners still have to manually update the maps on their server?

Yep!  Server providers can automatically update maps with the tf_workshop_map_sync command -- feel free to ask your local server owner (i.e., not me) about implementing it.  Maps need to be individually updated by workshop ID; there's no way to update through a complete subscription (like CS:GO?) just yet.

On the bright side, they should all be synced to the latest versions automatically; worst-case is that the client needs to get the same copy as the one on the server, and all this should be handled through Steam's servers (no more needing fastdls! I think).

I think plugin developers will need to rework their plugins to support the new workshop system, though, or at least perform some creative workarounds.

#6 nosoop

nosoop

• Members
  • 2752 posts

Posted June 04 2015 - 01:37 PM

Optional update has been released that fixes the workshop accessibility on other servers.

Scratch that, workshop accessibility is still screwed, but there's fixes for other things:

• Fixed a problem that was preventing clients from uploading items to the Steam Workshop
  • Fixed a stability issue with dedicated servers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users