• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Robomoto

Robomoto

Big Poster

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted June 06 2015 - 09:29 AM

I'm looking for some help finding a good brand of internal hard drive. I want a secondary one to use for game storage on my computer but I'm not sure which ones I should look at.

Here is are the relevant specs on my computer:

Windows 8.1

600W power supply.

I'm looking for at least 2 TB, but I might get more if there is a sale on it for a good price. Any advice would be appreciated.

"I don't have any marshmallows! And even if I did, I wouldn't give any to you!"
"Now I can solve up to 800 problems a minute!"

Backpack
Posted Image

#2 Sidewinder

Sidewinder

wat

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted June 06 2015 - 02:01 PM

I've always had good luck with Western Digital. Are you playing games off of it? If you are, I highly recommend getting an SSD instead (http://www.newegg.co...8485&IsNodeId=1). You won't have as much space, but you will have much faster reads and writes.

Otherwise, you could go with a WD green or black: http://www.newegg.co...003300 50001306

Posted Image

#3 nosoop

nosoop

in ur vps, wreckin' ur stuf

• Members
  • 2740 posts

Posted June 06 2015 - 09:48 PM

I think it's worth noting that you might want to consider multiple single platter HDDs so there are fewer parts and fewer potential sources of error.  (Not sure if things have changed in the last couple of years, though.)

I also recommend either a WD Blue (all-around model; I've been using a 500GB one as my main drive for the last couple of years), or a WD Black (higher performance).  Here's an informational post on differences between the WD color variants.

I've had a poor experience with the one Seagate drive I tried using (click of death, dead on arrival), but that's my personal experience with one drive; take it with a grain of salt.

Regardless of what brand you get, you'll want a 3.5" drive that's at least 7200 RPM and using SATA 6, just in case you're not sure.

#4 Toamto

Toamto

tromboner

• Administrators
  • 1920 posts

Posted June 07 2015 - 11:10 AM

I've had a poor experience with the one Seagate drive I tried using (click of death, dead on arrival), but that's my personal experience with one drive; take it with a grain of salt.

I can confirm that recently Seagate has had lower build quality and more mechanical failures as of recent years. I'd definitely recommend a WD drive.

#5 Neh

Neh

Hiya!

• Administrators
  • 3257 posts

Posted June 08 2015 - 05:37 PM

WD Black or Blue. I'd suggest sticking with 1TB drives, for reasons nosoop mentioned.

Unless the drive is exclusively for archiving stuff you won't touch very often, don't get a green, it's much slower and has longer seek times.

Also, don't get an SSD for games. Outside of load times you will not get any performance increases and they cost ~five times as much as a similarly sized HDD. Just having the OS and game files on different drives will boost game performance adequately. I do highly recommend an SSD as a boot drive though, but that is another topic.

#6 Robomoto

Robomoto

Big Poster

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted June 08 2015 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the info guys, it has helped a lot. I think I have what I need to look for a good drive. Thanks again. :)

"I don't have any marshmallows! And even if I did, I wouldn't give any to you!"
"Now I can solve up to 800 problems a minute!"

Backpack
Posted Image

#7 granola

granola

ԅ། ・ิ _ʖ ・ิ །ง

• Members
  • 1501 posts
  • Spy

Posted June 13 2015 - 06:02 AM

If you want to save some money slickdeals occasionally has decent hard drive deals. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users