• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted February 19 2016 - 07:18 AM

It's out and here are so far my first impressions.  Please note that this is Conquest and this is post Chapter 10.

Fire Emblem Fates takes the Awakening engine and completely improves everything that was a problematic from the Awakening.  The gameplay design is definitely reminisant of classic Fire Emblem and the map designs are 7 times better than what Awakening offered.

Like in classic Fire Emblem, there are way more mission objectives than in Awakening where it was just route the enemy or kill the boss.  Now there is defend for a number of turns, seize the position etc.  There are way more secondary objectives like visit as many villages as possible and you will receive much better rewards or face the consequences and battle more reinforcements.  

In terms of map designs, they fixed a lot of issues I had with Awakening's map design as they were very barebones and they didn't offer much mechanics into the system.  Ballistas are back and there is a magic variety for it too.  The maps have both open ended and isolated hallways offering a lot more variety in the maps for navigation, defense and offensive maneuvers.

Pair up system has been nerfed significant and it has been made fixed so it's no longer RNG bullshit.  If a unit is adjacent to you, they will always dual attack however, they will never dual guard.  If you pair them up, which is put them together as one unit like Awakening, they will not only give you stat boosts but there is a guard gauge that increases and if it reaches max your paired up partner will guarantee dual guard you.  This is a much better system overall over the overpowered awakening system as enemy AIs can do the same thing back to you so be careful when you place your units.

Overall, I am already loving Fire Emblem Conquest and if you were constantly criticizing the gameplay mechanics of Awakening and feel that IS forgot about how to design an actual Fire Emblem game, leave that mindset immediately.  This is one of the best Fire Emblem games to come out since FE9.

Also my avatar,

tkrlEgY.jpg

Edited by kingddd, February 19 2016 - 10:39 AM.

yVRxnqJ.png

-------------------------------------------------

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#2 Toamto

Toamto

tromboner

• Administrators
  • 1920 posts

Posted February 19 2016 - 12:03 PM

Pair up nerfed? Better maps? More varied win conditions? That's muy bueno.

Any opinions on the localization? I'm hearing that the dialogue changes end up breaking the mood and characterization a lot.

#3 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted February 19 2016 - 02:45 PM

Pair up nerfed? Better maps? More varied win conditions? That's muy bueno.

Any opinions on the localization? I'm hearing that the dialogue changes end up breaking the mood and characterization a lot.

I don't really see anything that sounds off to me.  Most of the people who complained about the mood breaking up and the characterization being different sounds are like small nitpicks at best.

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#4 Toamto

Toamto

tromboner

• Administrators
  • 1920 posts

Posted February 19 2016 - 03:13 PM

I don't really see anything that sounds off to me.  Most of the people who complained about the mood breaking up and the characterization being different sounds are like small nitpicks at best.

Fair enough. (I'd pick it up but I'm broke, oops)

#5 Toamto

Toamto

tromboner

• Administrators
  • 1920 posts

Posted February 20 2016 - 02:30 PM

Picked it up- I think my favorite part about it right now is that enemies can dual-attack. That shit's the bees knees when opponents have the same(ish) skills that you can use.

#6 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted February 20 2016 - 03:31 PM

Picked it up- I think my favorite part about it right now is that enemies can dual-attack. That shit's the bees knees when opponents have the same(ish) skills that you can use.

Indeed it feels so satisfying when you can beat up their formations.

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#7 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts
  • Soldier, Engineer, Medic

Posted February 20 2016 - 06:49 PM

Just started playing Birthright, so here are my initial thoughts as I go (not really spoilery, just the beginning chapters):

-Making a character: two hours. Thought process: Since I was originally from Hoshido and my siblings had red hair, I guess I'll pick that, Corrin is NOT a Japanese name which goes against the theme, but as cool as 'Kamui' sounds everyone will have that name in Streetpass. So a cool Japanese name for a dude with red hair and some distinguishing mark.
Spoiler:

kEkYo3M.jpg
-Is that Yuri Lowenthal? Hell yes I'm picking that voice.
-The hell is boon? Bane? Talent? What the hell do these stats do? Goddamnit, time to go to the Internet.
-Okay, picked 'Knight' because it's Nohr-exclusive and I was raised in Nohr so it makes sense story-wise. On to the game!
-Graphics are pretty. Active camera is cool. Feet exist.
-Ooh, English singing. That's nice.
-Okay, starting in Nohr... wake up to french maids. Immediately regret not getting Conquest.
-Pretty evil-looking country. Also can't name a character 'Lilith' and have her not be important. I'm watching you.
-Okay then, all of my siblings seem to seriously be in love with me already. Cool cool, incest is wincest.
-Okay, clearly evil king gives me clearly evil sword to do clearly evil killing of clearly not-evil prisoners. Got it.
-Is that some sort of hot amazon? Picking the waifu just got harder.
-Oh, Lilith isn't evil... huh. I guess. Yet.
-Okay, in Hoshido now... and apparently all my siblings here really REALLY love me too. Awesome. Pairings abound.
-Is that MC mom? Crap, I probably can't hit that.
-...Okay, now I definitely can't hit that. Also a dragon now.
-EAT DRAGON BLAST MOTHERFUCKERS
-Is Azura the OTP? Because I feel like you're trying to tell me Azura is the OTP.
-Welp, picking side time. Only have Birthright, so I'm sticking with this Hoshido for now.

#8 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted February 20 2016 - 08:54 PM

Just started playing Birthright, so here are my initial thoughts as I go (not really spoilery, just the beginning chapters):

-Making a character: two hours. Thought process: Since I was originally from Hokaido and my siblings had red hair, I guess I'll pick that, Corrin is NOT a Japanese name which goes against the theme, but as cool as 'Kamui' sounds everyone will have that name in Streetpass. So a cool Japanese name for a dude with red hair and some distinguishing mark.

Spoiler:

kEkYo3M.jpg
-Is that Yuri Lowenthal? Hell yes I'm picking that voice.
-The hell is boon? Bane? Talent? What the hell do these stats do? Goddamnit, time to go to the Internet.
-Okay, picked 'Knight' because it's Nohr-exclusive and I was raised in Nohr so it makes sense story-wise. On to the game!
-Graphics are pretty. Active camera is cool. Feet exist.
-Ooh, English singing. That's nice.
-Okay, starting in Nohr... wake up to french maids. Immediately regret not getting Conquest.
-Pretty evil-looking country. Also can't name a character 'Lilith' and have her not be important. I'm watching you.
-Okay then, all of my siblings seem to seriously be in love with me already. Cool cool, incest is wincest.
-Okay, clearly evil king gives me clearly evil sword to do clearly evil killing of clearly not-evil prisoners. Got it.
-Is that some sort of hot amazon? Picking the waifu just got harder.
-Oh, Lilith isn't evil... huh. I guess. Yet.
-Okay, in Hokaido now... and apparently all my siblings here really REALLY love me too. Awesome. Pairings abound.
-Is that MC mom? Crap, I probably can't hit that.
-...Okay, now I definitely can't hit that. Also a dragon now.
-EAT DRAGON BLAST MOTHERFUCKERS
-Is Azura the OTP? Because I feel like you're trying to tell me Azura is the OTP.
-Welp, picking side time. Only have Birthright, so I'm sticking with this Hokaido for now.

You crazy hoshidos and your OTP pairings meanwhile I'm suffering from Daddy Abuse.

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#9 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted February 21 2016 - 04:17 PM

I have just beaten Fire Emblem Fates Conquest and all I have to say is:

This is one of the best Fire Emblems to come out in years.  It is definitely in my number 1 Fire Emblem of all time.

The new dual system makes the strategy so much more refined and adds a total new layer of gameplay elements to the Fire Emblem 3D grid style game and I hope it sticks with this system as it's one of the best to come out in years.

The difficulty is very hard and this is coming from playing normal mode.  I would do what most people would do in classic fire emblem and it still kicked my ass.  The chapters are grueling and the map designs are one of the best in the series. 

The story despite popular belief from most people of conquest's story, I actually really like it.  It's no Fire Emblem 9 or even 4's story but I enjoyed the ride.  The resolution was really satisfying.

If you didn't like the direction of FE13, please don't hesitate to get this game.  Fire Emblem Conquest is one of the best and most challenging fire emblem games to date and it does it in a very fair way.  If you lose a unit it's actually your fault and not the game's fault. I will compliment Intelligent System for making this and they definitely got it right in this title.

Edited by kingddd, February 21 2016 - 04:18 PM.

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#10 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted February 22 2016 - 09:20 PM

On Chapter 11 right now, and everyone is on A-Rank. I'll be trying out some S-Ranks soon, doing the save trick and hoping it still works, and see which OTPs I can pair up. The following are some more thoughts I had as I played:

-It's nice to be able to grind relationships without worrying about overleveling. Lowest enemies give only 1exp per kill, so I can keep the game fairly challenging
-I have no idea what the Bath House is for (except to keep getting kicked out by women), but I keep visiting it after every fight
-I have no idea what feeding the dragon does, but it's at 60 now and won't grow any more stats
-I have no idea what the statues do, but now my base is covered in a buttload of statues (got a zen thing going on)
-why is Rinkah's hitrate such SHIT?
-I thought Rinkah was tsundere at first, then I learned it was because of her tribe laws. So now I know her entire tribe is tsundere
-TOO. MANY. UNITS. TO GRIND.
-Birthright's plot hasn't really been interesting yet, just going to places and killing things. Shame, since the opening chapters were so strong, but maybe it gets better later
-Why does my maid keep saying "Didn't expect that did'ja?" when we talk? That is such an out-of-context line
-Why does the crap I get from losing the lottery better than winning it?
-I didn't know Orochi could capture units! Goddamnit, I missed enslaving some peeps!
-I like inviting people to my room, but it does make me sad when I realize I can't sexually touch their faces
-Just realized something: Can't you technically grind levels in Conquest by using the DLC levels? Or does that not work?
-Kaze is the bro-est bro

#11 Toamto

Toamto

tromboner

• Administrators
  • 1920 posts

Posted February 22 2016 - 09:51 PM

On Chapter 11 right now, and everyone is on A-Rank. I'll be trying out some S-Ranks soon, doing the save trick and hoping it still works, and see which OTPs I can pair up. The following are some more thoughts I had as I played:

-It's nice to be able to grind relationships without worrying about overleveling. Lowest enemies give only 1exp per kill, so I can keep the game fairly challenging
-I have no idea what the Bath House is for (except to keep getting kicked out by women), but I keep visiting it after every fight
-I have no idea what feeding the dragon does, but it's at 60 now and won't grow any more stats
-I have no idea what the statues do, but now my base is covered in a buttload of statues (got a zen thing going on)
-I thought Rinkah was tsundere at first, then I learned it was because of her tribe laws. So now I know her entire tribe is tsundere
-Birthright's plot hasn't really been interesting yet, just going to places and killing things. Shame, since the opening chapters were so strong, but maybe it gets better later
-Why does my maid keep saying "Didn't expect that did'ja?" when we talk? That is such an out-of-context line
-I didn't know Orochi could capture units! Goddamnit, I missed enslaving some peeps!
-I like inviting people to my room, but it does make me sad when I realize I can't sexually touch their faces
-Just realized something: Can't you technically grind levels in Conquest by using the DLC levels? Or does that not work?
-Kaze is the bro-est bro

I didn't have much of a problem with Rinkah's hitrate, maybe I just got good skill growths with her. She is the waifu though.
DLC grinding is entirely possible, yep. Just like awakening. I'm not grinding or doing any paralogues though, can't say I'm a fan of childbearing sidequests.
As long as you're smart with your units and don't waste any potential encounters you should be fine.
also god DAMN Takumi's got some growth rates.

Also chapter 15 spoilers for later, don't open or quote unless you want some shit spoiled. Might be worth a look right before you start the chapter.
Spoiler:
Kaze dies at the end of CH15, but only if you don't have an A support with him and your MC. WISH I'D'VE KNOWN BEFORE I SAVED. OOPS.

edit: also fuck you corrin you missed a 99% hit chance and died to the boss, now I have to replay the whole chapter. FE in a nutshell I guess.

#12 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted February 23 2016 - 08:28 AM

-Kaze is the bro-est bro

Lilith is used for MyCastle battles so feeding her gives her boost in stats for that.  Someone online or streetpass can challenge your castle. If they win they get rewards and vice versa.  Think of this as an upgraded streetpass system from the one in Awakening.

You can also capture bosses too and convince them to join your team.  Unfortunately they don't have support so they aren't fully worth it.

You can only grind supports in Conquest with DLCs.  You don't gain any exp except for the Grinding DLC which is coming out soon.

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#13 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted February 23 2016 - 01:39 PM

You can only grind supports in Conquest with DLCs.  You don't gain any exp except for the Grinding DLC which is coming out soon.

So you can't grind supports/experience with that free Pre-Awakening DLC or can you with any DLC?

Also I hope everyone connected to the Internet at least once, because I've been giving away Bath Towels to everyone I encounter. MULTIPLE TIMES.

Spoiler:

Also I had to repeat that level where Kaze dies so I can grind his support to A-Rank and save him. I ain't lettin' my bestest bro die.

Spoiler:

Also I think I just killed Severa. That's so wrong in so many ways.

#14 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted February 23 2016 - 08:23 PM

So you can't grind supports/experience with that free Pre-Awakening DLC or can you with any DLC?

Also I hope everyone connected to the Internet at least once, because I've been giving away Bath Towels to everyone I encounter. MULTIPLE TIMES.

Spoiler:

Also I had to repeat that level where Kaze dies so I can grind his support to A-Rank and save him. I ain't lettin' my bestest bro die.

Spoiler:

Also I think I just killed Severa. That's so wrong in so many ways.

None of the DLC maps will give you any exp except for the actual grinding DLC map in Conquest which is called Boo camp.  Which isn't out yet.

Edited by kingddd, February 23 2016 - 08:24 PM.

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#15 Fox McSpark

Fox McSpark

Go read something else, would ya?

• TF2 Admins
  • 1228 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, Engineer, Sniper, Medic, Spy

Posted February 24 2016 - 01:28 PM

I HAD TO RESTART FROM CHAPTER 6 AFTER I FUCKED UP TWICE WHEN IS WAS BALLS DEEP

But other that that having a shitload of fun.

Axel: The answer, of course, is that Gabe newell doesn't give a fuck

Werefox McCrits: Never realised how much you HATE HIGH-5S
Gelg: My brother died in the Pacific High 5 War of '76
Gelg: I... just can't.
Werefox McCrits: I'm so sorry

#16 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted February 24 2016 - 11:55 PM

You know, I've been giving out the Bath Towels without actually wearing them (I was planning on putting it on a character with a boring outfit, but they're all pretty cool so far), and when I tried to for the first time... it doesn't actually do anything? Like, it doesn't show up whatsoever in battles, what the hell

Also I got Jakob and I'm disappointed that he's a total jackass

#17 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted February 25 2016 - 12:34 AM

Also I got Jakob and I'm disappointed that he's a total jackass

the best kind of jackass

Ej1Rolv.png

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#18 Toamto

Toamto

tromboner

• Administrators
  • 1920 posts

Posted February 25 2016 - 01:26 PM

Finished birthright, goddamn the ending's pretty satisfying.

Spoiler:
I saw Elise's story death coming from a mile away though.

Now on to path 2

#19 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted February 26 2016 - 06:12 AM

http://nokanoka.tumb...ice-voice-clips

Characters in this game also have unique Happy Birthday voice clips.  Saizo's on the other hand.

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#20 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted February 28 2016 - 11:49 AM

Hit Chapter 21, until I realized there are 28 chapters and NO ONE is married yet.

So I'm going to stop forever now until everyone is S-ranked with each other and get those OTPs out of the way. I don't even give a frick about the children at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users