• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Toamto

Toamto

tromboner

• Administrators
  • 1920 posts

Posted February 28 2016 - 11:14 PM

I didn't bother with any of the paralogues (and by extension, children) because they don't seem like a worthwhile addition and throw the game's balance off. Might be decent if you run short on other units but that's what L+R+Start is for.

Also I can safely say that Birthright was meant to be played first and FUCK YEAH, GUNTER

#22 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted February 29 2016 - 01:13 PM

I didn't bother with any of the paralogues (and by extension, children) because they don't seem like a worthwhile addition and throw the game's balance off. Might be decent if you run short on other units but that's what L+R+Start is for.

Also I can safely say that Birthright was meant to be played first and FUCK YEAH, GUNTER

The children characters are more viable in revelations and birthright but even then, they aren't worth it and it's a good idea to recruit them early since paralogues are now based on your campaign progressions and so are the DLCs unless they're fixed like the Beach Party DLC.

yVRxnqJ.png

-------------------------------------------------

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#23 Toamto

Toamto

tromboner

• Administrators
  • 1920 posts

Posted March 02 2016 - 05:31 PM

Had to restart Conquest because I was too underleveled by the endgame. Went a lot better when I had more than 3 viable units to use.

Also started Revelation

#24 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts
  • Soldier, Engineer, Medic

Posted March 04 2016 - 08:04 PM

Welp. I finally fucking did it. FIFTY HOURS AND TWENTY MINUTES. To unlock all the S-rank conversations of all non-children units via the save trick. Now I can finally continue playing the game.

This saddens me, but I can't say it was worth it. Some of the conversations are pretty good, but generally the S-ranks are just repetitively terrible. Most of them (I'd say 90%) is like listening to the same conversation 'I think I love you this is why' 'I think I love you too this is why'. Many of them don't even feel like marriage proposals as they do just going out on a date or getting a cup of damn coffee. Also all the S-ranks for siblings spend too much time explaining the 'we're not actually siblings so it's okay' rather than being romantic. Which is already lame by default, because if it's not real incest it's not real wincest.

I think, despite what Internet opinions might have you think, despite arguments that they have a more anime design... they're personalities are actually LESS anime, and it's not a good thing in this case. In Awakening, the characters each have a trope (not a cliche) and a specific quirk (like a verbal tic for example). With a huge cast, it makes them easier to separate, and while in the beginning it makes them SEEM more cliche they're deeper characters once you uncover the surface. In Fates, the characters -- though each still retaining a personal quirk -- are less exaggerated, which unfortunately makes them all very same-y and less memorable. Some characters also have inconsistent verbal tics (like Mozu and Hayato) which are discussed and played out in several conversations, and it doesn't really show in the translation. It also doesn't help that the voice clips don't play during the conversations like they did in Awakening, which would have given the characters a bit more personality.

Surprisingly, Saizo actually has a lot of the best conversations, whereas on the opposite Hana brings the best out in the other unit's personalities. Felicia is still my waifu though, but I won't be marrying her in this playthrough.

Hopefully, Conquest or Revelations has better convos.

#25 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted March 04 2016 - 10:06 PM

I personally feel conquest has the better backstories of the side characters.  Birthright characters were mostly meh for me but the stories in Conquest are much more tragic.

Niles is also the best character in Conquest.

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#26 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted March 04 2016 - 10:59 PM

I can't tell if the RNG is seriously bad luck on me in EVERY game I play...

but while every other unit I have has a strength of 15-16... Azama, my HEALER, has 30.

What the frick

#27 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted March 05 2016 - 07:17 AM

but while every other unit I have has a strength of 15-16... Azama, my HEALER, has 30.

What the frick

ohohoho you'll love Odin then.

Odin has shit Mag growth but awesome STR growth even though he's a mage.

Edited by kingddd, March 05 2016 - 07:19 AM.

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#28 Fox McSpark

Fox McSpark

Go read something else, would ya?

• TF2 Admins
  • 1228 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, Engineer, Sniper, Medic, Spy

Posted March 09 2016 - 10:13 AM

What the frick

Azama lives to fuck with everyone and this is it happening on a meta level

Though he promotes to Grand Master which is exceedingly more useful so joke's on him.

Axel: The answer, of course, is that Gabe newell doesn't give a fuck

Werefox McCrits: Never realised how much you HATE HIGH-5S
Gelg: My brother died in the Pacific High 5 War of '76
Gelg: I... just can't.
Werefox McCrits: I'm so sorry

#29 Toamto

Toamto

tromboner

• Administrators
  • 1920 posts

Posted March 09 2016 - 10:41 AM

Azama lives to fuck with everyone and this is it happening on a meta level

Though he promotes to Grand Master which is exceedingly more useful so joke's on him.

Just kidding, life is meaningless.

Though it's a big shame if you give him any offensive power his divine retribution skill goes down the shitter.

Also finished Revelations, that's some fun shit but I found the ending to be a bit weak. Somehow Sakura turned into a fucking tank and had more attack power than Ryoma or Xander. Magic bow OP. Paired her up with Leo to give her some extra magic boosts to top it off.

#30 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted March 09 2016 - 02:12 PM

There was this one theme from Awakening that I called 'Nowi's Theme' that played in a lot of conversations.

I found the Fate version, which is called 'The Path to You', which I will now call 'Mozu's Theme'

#31 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted March 10 2016 - 09:40 PM

Reminder that the Revelation path is out.

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#32 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted March 14 2016 - 04:04 AM

Was pissed when I found out Anna can only be gotten from the DLC. So I bought the DLC Map Pack to get her, then found out the DLC releases for ALL the maps, whether you got the map pack or not, will be released throughout the month until the end of April. So I have to wait that long before I can marry Anna.

And if I can't waifu Anna, why the fuck am I even playing

Unrelated, but I'm guessing the Avatar's use of the Dragonstone is actually determined by strength rather than magic. So is there any purpose to HAVING a magic stat, or is that only for reclassing?

#33 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted March 14 2016 - 05:44 AM

Was pissed when I found out Anna can only be gotten from the DLC. So I bought the DLC Map Pack to get her, then found out the DLC releases for ALL the maps, whether you got the map pack or not, will be released throughout the month until the end of April. So I have to wait that long before I can marry Anna.

Unrelated, but I'm guessing the Avatar's use of the Dragonstone is actually determined by strength rather than magic. So is there any purpose to HAVING a magic stat, or is that only for reclassing?

Dragonstone is based off of Magic in Fates unlike previous Fire Emblems.  It also can't double attack.  It's intended to be a tank attack since it increases your defense significantly.  So if you want to be a high damage tank, choosing the magic attribute in the beginning of the game is a good idea.

Edited by kingddd, March 14 2016 - 05:51 AM.

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#34 Fox McSpark

Fox McSpark

Go read something else, would ya?

• TF2 Admins
  • 1228 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, Engineer, Sniper, Medic, Spy

Posted March 14 2016 - 05:53 AM

Sup Tomato

And dragonstone damage is also calculated by the enemy's resistance, giving you viable damage against Knights and the like (up until later game anyway).

Axel: The answer, of course, is that Gabe newell doesn't give a fuck

Werefox McCrits: Never realised how much you HATE HIGH-5S
Gelg: My brother died in the Pacific High 5 War of '76
Gelg: I... just can't.
Werefox McCrits: I'm so sorry

#35 Toamto

Toamto

tromboner

• Administrators
  • 1920 posts

Posted March 14 2016 - 09:37 AM

My boy, those red locks are what all good men strive for. Also she's still the only one I've paired with m-Robin in Awakening.

And dragonstone damage is also calculated by the enemy's resistance, giving you viable damage against Knights and the like (up until later game anyway).

Using a Levin Sword is much more effective late-game, usually by then your defense should be tank-levels of high. Unless that was your bane stat because they decided to use cryptic names for 'em.

Also there's spoilers in the ancient text archive if you care to decipher the text, which is more fun than looking it up on the web.

#36 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted March 15 2016 - 12:50 AM

My boy, those red locks are what all good men strive for. Also she's still the only one I've paired with m-Robin in Awakening.

tumblr_lmtecx8CFW1qhc137o1_500.gif

Also there's spoilers in the ancient text archive if you care to decipher the text, which is more fun than looking it up on the web.

Was wondering about that text. How do I go about deciphering it? Looks like gibberish to me.

#37 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted March 15 2016 - 08:11 AM

Was wondering about that text. How do I go about deciphering it? Looks like gibberish to me.

The final text No 008 Monument is literally abcdefgh.....z.  That's where you can decipher them.

But it's recommended not to read them until you at least beat revelations.

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#38 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted March 16 2016 - 03:19 AM

Finished Birthright finally even though I'm Anna-less goddamn piece of fucking

Ahem. Anyway, I was expecting to get a kind of New Game+ where I continue the last save file and keep what I earned from the playthough of the last level and be able to do the last level again, that sort of thing (like in Awakening). It didn't seem to let me, so I'm assuming it doesn't have that?

#39 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted March 16 2016 - 05:11 AM

Finished Birthright finally even though I'm Anna-less goddamn piece of fucking

Ahem. Anyway, I was expecting to get a kind of New Game+ where I continue the last save file and keep what I earned from the playthough of the last level and be able to do the last level again, that sort of thing (like in Awakening). It didn't seem to let me, so I'm assuming it doesn't have that?

Yeah there is no New Game+.  You can however select branch of fates to start from Chapter 6 again from the same difficulty you picked with the same levels when you reached that moment.

The only game in the series to have a New Game+ is Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn.  But don't worry it still carries over your support conversations in the record halls and CG movies you have seen etc.

yVRxnqJ.png

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#40 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted March 17 2016 - 06:37 PM

Finished Birthright, and will be doing two replays eventually just so (1) I can be a female character and (2) marry Azura as a male character and see how the story changes. These are my overall thoughts on the game, both pros and cons:

+graphics, landscape, level design are a vast improvement over Awakening; people have feet
+cutscenes are beautiful; I could watch Azura's dance all day
+many great tracks; 'Lost In Thoughts All Alone' cannot unstuck itself out of my head, and the final boss theme is awesome
+weapons no longer have limited uses, but more situational ones are rarer which makes them more useful but in small quantities
+higher level weapons aren't necessarily just stronger, and may have downsides like debuffs, which encourage forging
+forging uses a different currency than money, which makes it more viable -- especially since weapons are no longer limited in use
+magic is nerfed but not useless; archers are powerful but not too overpowered (for the most part)
+Dragon Veins and intelligent level design make normal 'kill all enemies' levels just as interesting and fun
+Paralogues level in difficulty with your current team
+child units will never be underleveled thanks to their personal seals
+you can lose units storywise, but can be saved with alternate paths (sometimes)
+not everyone makes it to the end storywise, which is more realistic in a wartime situation
+designing your castle is fun, and there's plenty of stuff to do in-between missions
+visiting other players' castles can net you items and currencies you need
+the ability to give accessories to your units and other players, and maybe receive some from them
+I have a maid AND a butler
+I can turn into a motherfucking dragon, and criting with Dragon Fang is awesome
+daughter Kana is adorable as fuck and her conversations are kawaii as shit
+I have no idea why, but I love getting kicked out of the bath house repeatedly
+the ability to touch your waifu's face

-RNG hates me
-the hitrate percentage is total bullshit
-except for key tracks, most of the music isn't as memorable as Awakening's
-way too many levels feel like padding
-child units, while great characters, don't make as much sense as in Awakening and are superfluous given the balance
-marrying my daughter Kana is like marrying an 8-year old off
-some artwork faces look a little flat; looks better in 3D
-grinding conversations is a bitch
-conversations, while still mostly good, are less interesting because some characters tend to meld together without an outstanding character trait
-most of the S-rank confession lines with the avatar are mostly shit
-many of the S-rank confessions between units are pretty same-y
-repeated characters from Awakening, despite good conversations, still feel like Flanderized versions of the original characters
-the bath house is pretty useless
-Nintendo removed my ability to sexually molest my entire army's face unless they were my waifu/husbando
-Raider weapons can unintentionally make serious battles hilarious
-Paralogues leveling with your current team can make levels punishingly hard by accident; if you don't have Rescue, God have mercy
-Camilla's cutscene compared to the other cutscenes
-all the doujins are all CamillaxTakumi, and I don't even like Takumi that much; I need more with Oboro and Scarlet, damnit
-Anna isn't waifu-available until later; 0/10

Because Anna wasn't available for this playthrough, I went with my 2nd choice which was Scarlet, which I don't regret.
Spoiler:
Accidentally read some spoilers about her, and I'm glad she'll be happy in this one playthrough at the very least.

Overall, gameplay is milestones better than Awakening without a doubt. Character-wise, they're growing on me, but I definitely prefer the wider and more varied conversations of Awakening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users