• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Robomoto

Robomoto

Big Poster

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted November 25 2016 - 07:23 PM

I'm looking for a new keyboard and was wondering what brands are good. I want to have one that is good for gaming but also decent for general use.

"I don't have any marshmallows! And even if I did, I wouldn't give any to you!"
"Now I can solve up to 800 problems a minute!"

Backpack
Posted Image

#2 Cedarbox

Cedarbox

Married to a skeleton. Platonically.

• Members
  • 3960 posts

Posted November 27 2016 - 02:42 PM

I have this tenkeyless Quickfire Rapid with blue cherry switches. I very much like it and it's much easier on the wrists than a normal membrane keyboard. It's pretty damn affordable for a mechanical keyboard too.

I've never had a single problem with it, it works great with everything I've played and it comes with a key puller and some extra arrow keys.

The product page has options for a full-sized keyboard and other switches, if you're not into noisy keys like I am.

If you're not sure which switches you should get, there's this sampler thing that has four different kinds of switches so you can feel and hear them. I ended up using the clear keys in place of the WASD keys on my keyboard. Looks pretty cool.

There once was a kitty named Tomo
As famous on the Internet as Domo
But his face got all shitty
Because he's a bad kitty
And now he's washed up like Rivers Cuomo

#3 Robomoto

Robomoto

Big Poster

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted November 27 2016 - 06:18 PM

Thanks, I'll think about it and try the switch sampler to see which ones I like.

But I am also curious what people think about the Corsair or Razer brands of keyboards, I was looking at them as well.

Corsair has a sale for Cyber Monday on their Strafe brand keyboards for 69.99 and I am wondering if it is worth it.

Backpack
Posted Image

#4 nosoop

nosoop

in ur vps, wreckin' ur stuf

• Members
  • 2743 posts

Posted December 01 2016 - 06:02 AM

I'd peek at /r/MechanicalKeyboards for ideas, if you do want to commit to a mech.

The general consensus from what I've seen is that Razer has terrible QC, Corsair is okay (quality issues when it comes to the LEDs), and Cooler Master is pretty good.  Have yet to test for myself, so grain of salt, etc.

Assuming you have one, switch samplers should be available at your nearby dedicated electronics store.

I picked up a refurbished Strafe with Browns myself.  Will report back once they show up and I've replaced my 13-year-old Dell keyboard.

#5 Robomoto

Robomoto

Big Poster

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted December 01 2016 - 08:29 AM

I think I might go with the Corsair Strafe, as it is $30 off for a new one on Amazon, though that is only the red switch so I might go with the refurbished ones. It seems to be easier to clean as the keys are raised and also seems to be larger, which is good because I have big hands.

I'll live with the LED issue if it comes up, as It is not that important to me. I just have to wait till the key sampler I ordered arrives to see which one I like more.

Backpack
Posted Image

#6 Robomoto

Robomoto

Big Poster

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted December 02 2016 - 01:06 PM

Well I got the switch sampler in the mail and after some testing I think I like the red switch the best. So I think I will go with the Corsair with the red swtich, as it is still on sale.

It seems to have what I am looking for and it is wide enough for my hands. Plus the elevated keys make for easy cleaning, which is something I need as my room gets dusty like nobodies business.

Thanks for the advice guys, it was really helpful.

Backpack
Posted Image

#7 nosoop

nosoop

• Members
  • 2743 posts

Posted December 07 2016 - 11:19 PM

Installed the refurb Strafe I picked up.  30 seconds of typing and I already like it.  It does come with a key remover along with alternative keycaps for FPS and MOBA keys so deep cleaning should be pretty simple, if the need arises.

One subjective downside is there's no Windows key on the right, so it's a longer reach to lock the desktop.

I might grab some o-rings to dampen the bottoming out, too.

Hope you enjoy your keyboard, Robo.

#8 Robomoto

Robomoto

Big Poster

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted December 08 2016 - 07:22 AM

Thanks, I do like it so far, it has a nice feel to it. I'll have to see how it goes but so far it is working like I want to.

Also you may be right about needing the o-rings. If you have a link to some I would really appreciate it.

Backpack
Posted Image

#9 nosoop

nosoop

• Members
  • 2743 posts

Posted December 08 2016 - 09:32 AM

There's this post.  The post was tested with blues in mind (so there is a tactile bump to consider), so your opinions may vary; didn't realize there were varieties in o-rings until now, too.

Newegg's Rosewill brand of o-rings (the RO-100* listings) are equivalent to the 50A-R entries listed.

Searching for "o-rings keyboard" on Amazon yields appropriate results.

Might opt for some 40A-L ones from WASD myself, if the bottoming out bugs me and my mic enough (it doesn't much).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users