• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Robomoto

Robomoto

Big Poster

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted March 20 2017 - 08:21 AM

Fair enough.  CPU installations aren't too bad, though they aren't as simple as graphics upgrades (you do need to have some thermal paste on hand for CPUs, at the very least).

The 1070 looks fine, though I'm no expert.

Just make sure your monitors have DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort input support; otherwise get an active adapter while you're at it.

Yeah, while I have had experience installing graphics cards and power supplies recently it has been a while since I've installed a CPU, I'm a little nervous about it. But like I said I'll see how the graphic card changes things then go from there.

Also do most new CPUs come with thermal paste included? I think they do but I could be wrong.

"I don't have any marshmallows! And even if I did, I wouldn't give any to you!"
"Now I can solve up to 800 problems a minute!"

Backpack
Posted Image

#22 nosoop

nosoop

in ur vps, wreckin' ur stuf

• Members
  • 2741 posts

Posted March 20 2017 - 11:16 PM

Yeah, while I have had experience installing graphics cards and power supplies recently it has been a while since I've installed a CPU, I'm a little nervous about it. But like I said I'll see how the graphic card changes things then go from there.

Also do most new CPUs come with thermal paste included? I think they do but I could be wrong.

As long as you ensure things are seated correctly, you should be fine.  The top of the CPU is all heatsink.

New CPUs that come with stock fans should have paste included on the heatsink side of the fans; otherwise they probably won't come with paste bundled separately.

#23 Lemming

Lemming

W+M1 Pyro Mage

• Administrators
  • 2411 posts

Posted March 21 2017 - 12:02 AM

Third party coolers will usually come with thermal paste.

Metasheep.com
Flikr page

♫ 99 little bugs in the code,
99 bugs in the code
We fix a bug, compile it again
101 little bugs in the code ♫

The problem with the bleeding edge of technology is that it bleeds all over you and causes bugs.

FlamingDonut: and i dont even have balls

My boss: It comes down to etiquette and lasers.

FlamingDonut141: found a fancy dress...

#24 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts
  • Soldier, Engineer, Medic

Posted March 23 2017 - 03:46 AM

Unfortunately if you want to keep Windows 7 you'll have to upgrade to Pro or Ultimate for the 192 GB ram limit.  If you hack it to allow more than 16GB of ram for your Home Premium, you're breaking the Windows License.

Look at your monitor display connectors.  

suZcAUs.jpg

DVI is the current standard for computer monitors.

Display connectors usually use two types of connectors.  Analog and digital.

VGA uses Analog.

DVI uses digital and so does HDMI.

DisplayPort is basically the new 4K monitor display but hardly any monitors use it.

Most video cards support the use of analog cables to connect to their video cards.  However some of the newer video cards are ditching VGA support all together because newer monitors are using 4K digital signal cables to display their monitors and ditching analog.

k7fStPd.jpg

Older video cards use a DVI-I so you can still use analog cable monitors for display in case you don't have a monitor that has DVI and are using a VGA to DVI convertor.  However newer video cards use DVI-D so you can't use analog conversions.  The Geforce 1000 series are now going all DVI-D instead of DVI-I.

Analog is an old technology and is being phased out for good reasons.

Checked the back of my monitor and it has both slots. My current connector from my CPU to the monitor goes into what looks like that DVI-I. From that, I'm guessing I don't have to buy a new monitor, but maybe a new cable?

Also, not sure if I just didn't see it answered yet, but I assume upgrading my Windows 7 Home Premium to Pro or Ultimate will cost something? Can I just buy that from the Internet or something or do I have to get a CD for that?

#25 nosoop

nosoop

• Members
  • 2741 posts

Posted March 23 2017 - 04:58 AM

Checked the back of my monitor and it has both slots. My current connector from my CPU to the monitor goes into what looks like that DVI-I. From that, I'm guessing I don't have to buy a new monitor, but maybe a new cable?

Also, not sure if I just didn't see it answered yet, but I assume upgrading my Windows 7 Home Premium to Pro or Ultimate will cost something? Can I just buy that from the Internet or something or do I have to get a CD for that?

If your monitor has DVI, it should support digital inputs, though you can check your AMD Radeon settings if you're unsure (it'll tell you which mode the display is using).  You'll need a new cable if your current one is one of a DVI-I variety, since it won't connect to a DVI-D only socket on one of the more recent cards.  It has four pins on the side with the flat prong; see here for actual pictures of the connectors.

The upgrade will cost money.  If you can find an Anytime Upgrade key or a retail Upgrade version, you should be able to stick the product key into Windows Anytime Upgrade.  The program is discontinued, so you can't purchase the upgrade directly from Microsoft (and such keys will be hard to find).

The other options include:

1. Purchasing a retail version of either of those versions (non-upgrade) and do a clean install.  Might have to burn yourself a copy of the install media (perfectly legal, since you have to input the key for the actual validation process).
  2. Upgrade to Windows 10 (I heard they're still allowing free upgrades to fully registered copies without any hoops to jump through, YMMV though).
  3. Yar har.

#26 Robomoto

Robomoto

Big Poster

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted March 24 2017 - 05:25 PM

I was thinking about the CPU in my computer and I think I do want to replace it. But I was wondering what other types of the i7 I could use. I mean Pikachu mentioned the i7 4790 but I'm wondering if there are slightly cheaper options that will do just as well.

Backpack
Posted Image

#27 nosoop

nosoop

• Members
  • 2741 posts

Posted March 25 2017 - 03:01 AM

I was thinking about the CPU in my computer and I think I do want to replace it. But I was wondering what other types of the i7 I could use. I mean Pikachu mentioned the i7 4790 but I'm wondering if there are slightly cheaper options that will do just as well.

Keeping your motherboard, any LGA1150-socket CPU with a power consumption at or under 84W should be fine.  That narrows it down to a subset of the 4xxx series of Core models, as well as an assortment of non-Core CPUs (such as the Pentium G32xx).  K-branded models (e.g., the i5 4670K) have higher clocks compared to their non-K counterparts and can be overclocked, though overclocking likely isn't supported on your current motherboard.

Judging by your current clock and model I think you have an i5 4570, which is a pretty high bar when it comes to 1150s.  The other i7 the Envy has guaranteed support for is the i7 4770 (K and non-K variants).

Anything lower (back in i5 territory) and you'd be spending a good amount for very little gain, in my opinion (provided you're not selling your existing CPU).  You could also go for the AM4 or LGA1151-socketed motherboards and a new CPU, though you'd also have to pick up DDR4 RAM.  If you do go for a new CPU / board / RAM, you should be set for a while (and have the option of some later upgrades down the line).

Do note that with LGA1151, Kaby Lake (Core 7xxx series) does not officially support versions of Windows older than Windows 10.  AM4 as a whole also does not officially support Windows versions older than 10.

#28 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted May 19 2017 - 10:41 AM

Currently in the middle of upgrading my comp. As it turns out my power supply is already 600w, so that's cool.

New graphics card I might be getting is a Zotac Gtx 1060. Any opinions on it?

#29 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted May 20 2017 - 09:07 PM

Currently in the middle of upgrading my comp. As it turns out my power supply is already 600w, so that's cool.

New graphics card I might be getting is a Zotac Gtx 1060. Any opinions on it?

Zotac just works just standard stuff they usually manufacture.  I've had their GTX 560 and it ran fine.  

Personal favourite NVIDIA GPU manufacturer is EVGA though.  EVGA has a program where if you buy a card and you aren't satisfied with it and say you want the 1070 instead you can pay the difference as long as you send it back to them.  Their customer service are much better. 

But overall though, the brand doesn't really make too much differences.  The only thing you should consider is the pricing and the specs like do I want a 3GB vs 6GB DDR5 version etc?  Higher memory lets you take advantage of higher resolution textures more easily and more games are taking advantage of the VRAM usage a lot more these days.  This will easily help in the long term for say 4K resolution games and maybe make like 5 fps difference in some games.

For example, here in my Call of Duty 4 Remastered, it literally eats up this much amount of my video ram on my GPU at very high settings.

Spoiler:

YRemfsa.png

Here's GTAV on my end

Spoiler:

BJoAmZC.png

You can check out the pricing at NCIX.

EVGA 3GB DDR5 version

http://www.ncix.com/...c-b9-134742.htm

EVGA 6GB DDR5 version  (The one I have and it runs Overwatch in epic settings at 1080p)

http://www.ncix.com/...c-b9-133580.htm

Zotac 6GB DDR5 version

http://www.bestbuy.c.../10513471.aspx?

Zotac 6GB DDR5 mini version

http://www.bestbuy.c.../10460254.aspx?

NCIX has the zotac version shown but they are in back-order so you might have to wait few days or weeks.

Just to let you know the NCIX i go to is literally beside Coquitlam Centre Mall.

http://www.ncix.com/contact/

Edited by kingddd, May 20 2017 - 09:17 PM.

yVRxnqJ.png

-------------------------------------------------

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#30 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted May 20 2017 - 11:18 PM

Sorry, forgot to edit I changed cards because I got a deal on another one. Getting an Asus Gtx Turbo 1070 now instead, 8gig I believe. No idea what the difference is though.

#31 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted May 21 2017 - 07:21 AM

Sorry, forgot to edit I changed cards because I got a deal on another one. Getting an Asus Gtx Turbo 1070 now instead, 8gig I believe. No idea what the difference is though.

1070 Geforce is significantly faster than a 1060 Geforce.  Definitely better for a long term run.

yVRxnqJ.png

-------------------------------------------------

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#32 Robomoto

Robomoto

Big Poster

• Members
  • 595 posts

Posted September 17 2017 - 08:05 AM

Okay, I got the CPU that Pikachu recommended (the Intel i7 4790) but when I went to look at the BIOS update site it only lists up to Windows 8.1 (I have Windows 10). Is it okay to use the latest BIOS update even if I have Windows 10 or will there be a problem?

Also what is the sequence that I should follow when replacing the CPU? Will I need to add new thermal paste, boot the computer normally or in a different mode, etc?

Backpack
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users