Sign in to follow this  
Fuzileer

Post your rants here! (no rants about other people here)

Why can’t I learn anything by ear?

I’ve been playing bass for about 3 years now, and I still have a lot of trouble trying to make notes out in songs. I can read tabs and sheet music well enough for myself but I can’t pick a line out and play it. It’s so frustrating. I also find my slap technique to be very lacking. 3 years, I feel I should be further ahead but I can’t seem to get there…

I feel your pain... I've been playing flute for almost 3 years now, and I feel like my embouchure ('mouthing' so to speak, how you blow into the instrument) is fucked up way too far for me to fix... I'm supposed to be able to play about 4 bars without breathing. This is no problem for me, but then I get to a song that's 2 bars of slurring (notes where you flow from one to another, rather than blowing for each seperate note) and it all goes to hell... Reading the actual notes is simple enough, until I get to a song that figures it would be a cool idea to put E sharps and F's in, pretty much right next to each other. This wouldn't be so bad, if they weren't the same notes... I've just never bothered to remember the fingerings for E sharp since I could always just play an F, and it'd be the exact same thing but shit...

Okay....seriously.

If you smoke pot, whatever, your choice.

However, when I have to walk home, and I literally have to walk behind you, don't light a fucking joint on your way home. That's just being a dick. I don't smoke it, I don't want to smell like weed, and I absolutely hate the smell. Do it in private where I don't have to deal with it. Yeesh.

I think after a while you would go from :angry: to :wacko: to :lol: with all the fumes. Reminds me of my other rant:

If youre in a bus with me, or in any situation where you must be within my proximity, PLEASE turn off your blasting music and put headphones on. I really dont care what you listen to, and 90% of the time the music is horrible. Please have some consideration, not only is it ear-shatteringly loud, but I hate the fact you believe everyone must hear it.

Why must the thought of drinking alcohol disgust me? It completely alienates me and leaves me with nothing to do except play video games on weekends. While I don't really mind it that much, part of the experience of university is to go out and meet new people, yet I haven't met anyone new. I got invited to a flip-cup tournament tomorrow, but I'm probably not going to go because I'm just going to look stupid standing around not drinking. I swear, I'm one of the biggest loners I know, yet for me to not be one, I'd pretty much have to do shit I hate. Why the fuck can I not find people who share similar interests as me instead of everyone feeling the need to go out and get fucking trashed every weekend? Like, fuck. My roommate's been drinking since like 3 today and I've just been sitting in my room playing WoW. LOOKIT ME IM A HERMIT DERP DERP

/rant

Why must the thought of drinking alcohol disgust me? It completely alienates me and leaves me with nothing to do except play video games on weekends.

Because you're better than them. Personally I can't stand beer or most wines, but I will drink odds and ends mixed drinks and such, but I've never been drunk, nor even close to it.

I've been around enough drunks over the years and refuse to join in with them.

Killingston, you and I are more alike than I thought before. I'm pretty much the same way; alcohol makes me choke and spit, it tastes almost like poison, or shampoo. As a result, I don't actively seek going to parties (then again, haven't had any party invitations for years) and alcohol is just something I cannot get into.

@Drask: Yeah, most of the time I like to think of myself as better than them, as 98% of the time I actually prefer being alone, but every once in a while, I don't mind going out and hanging out with people. But unfortunately for me, all anyone ever wants to do is drink and party.

@Strange, yeah, I've kinda been meaning to let you know that you're not alone in your feelings. I don't associate with anyone, I spend 99% of my free time hiding my room away from anyone and I generally hate going to parties. This invite I got for tomorrow was actually the first I've ever gotten in my life and I'm probably going to turn it down because I can't stand being around people who are completely wasted.

Well, despite what I've said, I'd try going, just this once. Who knows, maybe not everyone will be shit-faced, and there isn't a harm in trying it once. And if everyone sucks at the party, well, now you know not to hang around with.

Killingston, you and I are more alike than I thought before. I'm pretty much the same way; alcohol makes me choke and spit, it tastes almost like poison, or shampoo. As a result, I don't actively seek going to parties (then again, haven't had any party invitations for years) and alcohol is just something I cannot get into.

Alcohol tastes the same way to me, though I usually refer to it tasting like ass or gasoline. It's probably a good thing, though, since it's kept me away from alcohol. And considering the last couple years, I would probably be drunk, dead, or both right now if it didn't.

I honestly don't know.

I want to go because I really should meet new people. I've been here for what, 5 months now, and haven't met anyone new. University's supposed to be a place to meet people as well as learn and so far I've failed in that respect.

But on the other hand, I have the detrimental appearance of LOOKING like the kind of guy who likes to go out and party and get wasted, so people there might be trying to get me to drink, which I really do not want.

I've got such a fucked up group of interests and things I enjoy doing that it's almost impossible for me to find someone with similar tastes.

I want to go because I really should meet new people. I've been here for what, 5 months now, and haven't met anyone new. University's supposed to be a place to meet people as well as learn and so far I've failed in that respect.

Meh. I'm the same way, I have no interest in parties, clubs, bars, etc, and a lot of it probably is related to not being around people who are drunk off their asses. If you are actually decided on a major, just concentrate on friends in classes related to your major. You'll have much better relationships with them due to shared interests. Most of my good friends in my college days were all out having shared multiple classes with them.

Well, after not doing anything for the past 5-6 days except sleeping, I decided since it's Friday I should do shit

I got home from school.

dropped on the couch and slept.

Waking up at 9:46, I just listened to music for 2 hours, in the same spot, not doing anything except thinking.

I think some mild form of depression has set in.

And to that, I say:

Bring it on.

God dammit, this whole fucking thing has completely screwed with me.

I was content with my life as it was, just being left alone and nobody really ever asking me to do anything. Now, for the first time in my life, I'm being asked to be included in something and all of my self-esteem has completely gone out the window, due to the fact I probably won't go. Now I'll probably never be invited to anything again and I'll slip back into my world of loneliness and I'm probably going to loathe myself for it from then on because I had the chance to change that and lost it. Knowing this now though, I still have the option to go, but I have a feeling I'd end up leaving after about 10-20 minutes anyway and would just end up back at square 1. Ugh, I should just stay and wallow in my own misery.

I've had shit like that happen with me too, Killingston.

It's funny when you're somewhere, bored out of your mind, and when you leave someone asks you why you left.

BIG NEWS:

I just wrote a big 'ol paragraph about shit and realized I didn't care and deleted it.

Pretend something meaningful was here.

I think after a while you would go from :angry: to :wacko: to :lol: with all the fumes.

Well, I'm already happy so I doubt I'd get any happier.

Reminds me of my other rant:

If youre in a bus with me, or in any situation where you must be within my proximity, PLEASE turn off your blasting music and put headphones on. I really dont care what you listen to, and 90% of the time the music is horrible. Please have some consideration, not only is it ear-shatteringly loud, but I hate the fact you believe everyone must hear it.

I definitely agree. Everytime I have to take the bus to school, there will always be one person who has their music turned up to an unreasonable volume. I can literally make out every word of the song, and it's very annoying. This only shows how everyone is going to be deaf in the future.

God dammit, this whole fucking thing has completely screwed with me.

I was content with my life as it was, just being left alone and nobody really ever asking me to do anything. Now, for the first time in my life, I'm being asked to be included in something and all of my self-esteem has completely gone out the window, due to the fact I probably won't go. Now I'll probably never be invited to anything again and I'll slip back into my world of loneliness and I'm probably going to loathe myself for it from then on because I had the chance to change that and lost it. Knowing this now though, I still have the option to go, but I have a feeling I'd end up leaving after about 10-20 minutes anyway and would just end up back at square 1. Ugh, I should just stay and wallow in my own misery.

Well, I'm the same way with alcohol, I just have no interest in it once so ever, and I don't want to get involved with the aftermath, however, I don't think you should be this upset about it. Although you might not be going to a party or social or w/e, you can still make friends on campus. I'm pretty sure there are others like you who don't think either, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you have to, just tell them you don't drink, maybe they'll find something else to do on another day? Anyway, I hope you feel better, I'm sure everything will work out.

I think after a while you would go from :angry: to :wacko: to :lol: with all the fumes.

I definitely agree. Everytime I have to take the bus to school, there will always be one person who has their music turned up to an unreasonable volume. I can literally make out every word of the song, and it's very annoying. This only shows how everyone is going to be deaf in the future.

The good news is that they won't be able to reproduce...all those monsters and skinny jeans.

The good news is that they won't be able to reproduce...all those monsters and skinny jeans.

Well, maybe that's a good thing...don't need anymore crazy people.....

Goddamnit ZUN, you couldn't have made it harder to get Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom's timing right.

On the piano version, the left & right hands almost play completely different songs.

I do believe I lost some sheet music when I made the switch from Vista to 7, some of it will take time to recreate and some I will not be able to get again. Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to rage off somewhere.

Someone returned my lost wallet to me, and sure enough, $18 were gone.

Oddly enough I just returned someone's wallet I found in the restroom. No, I'm not $18 richer.

Granted, at your age that's the worst thing that can happen from losing your wallet. As an adult $18 is a very fair trade for the rest of the typical contents of your wallet given the cost of replacement and other potential losses.

Wow - Im surprised to see this thread STILL going strong! XD

=-=-

Love f****** sucks hard.

Enough said.

Touche'

At least I have my hat.

<3