Sign in to follow this  
strangemodule

Ctf_Dammed

My map for the TF2 Competitive CTF map contest. It's in EARLY alpha BETA right now, which means it has dev normal textures. So please, when you do give me criticism, please focus on the GAMEPLAY (but mentioning the looks is fine too)!

Current Version: Beta 4

Click here to download! Will update this thread after the contest is over. For now, click here to download the latest version!

Screenshots

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What's new in this version?

-left side (with previously broken bridge) is now opened up.

-changed up the intel building platform to be more defensible against pesky scouts.

-various detail/optimization changes

I updated my map to Alpha 2, check the link in the first post to download the newest version.

Do you mind if we test it tomorrow, 5pm PST? I imagine most people would be home by then and we could all test it.

Just get the .bsp and you can decompile it and then you can pick up right were you left off. :)

But all my brush entities will be unassigned. =(

It's worth a try, though.

the main issue that was coming up was that it was very easy to cover the intel area with sentries. specifically it seems like the problem is that the area in question is both A) open and unobstructed so the sentries can see everything, and B) not -so- big that you can get out of their range.

here are the screens i took of what seemed like problem areas and doodles on some brainstormed fixes

the the way the sentries all cover eachother. in white is one change that might help with this, a wall to block LOS, and a slight rearrangement of one of the stairways so it doesn't become too easy to get the intel from that side. I think this might also benefit by making that entrance to the intel area feel 'different', when you have a map like this with multiple approaches to the same room, if there isn't a significant difference between the various entrances it can feel like 'why even have 3 choices if they all take me to the same place"

post-7212-12669049272172_thumb.jpg

a way to block the area above the corner entrance from being a sentry nest, sloped roofs

post-7212-12669049313362_thumb.jpg

a possibility for preventing the top of the intel building itself from being a sentry nest, while still leaving it usable to players. outward sloping barriers (possibly chain link fence) that can't be built upon and would block a sentry's line of sight, but are still navigable on foot.

post-7212-1266904935095_thumb.jpg

Alpha 4 is out, check the link for the new download.

List of changes:

Alpha 4:

-made the middle ground area wider and more refined, putting more focus on the upper platforms

-widened the intel buildings in each respective teams' bases

-spawn rooms are now on ground level

-changed the inner dam area a bit

-removed to elevator

Alright, here's the pictures I took while I was noclipping in my team's base. (Warning, giant wall of photo's behnd the spoiler)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If I need to elaborate, at all, please say so.

Posted Image

I really do, Axel. I'm probably gonna put a nobuild section there, or even some props to make building impossible. I hope that kills off most the sentry camping.

Edited by ratty
erased comments related to troll that was ereased. nothing to see here, move along, move along

I did enjoy playing your map strange. I see you are already taking care of some of the problems I noticed during the test yesterday. One thing I would like to suggest would be a grate walkway over the water in the middle area. It would allow the area to be a bit more traversable while keeping classes from being completely constrained in the water. Something kind of like in the second stage of aqua around the Submarine. Just an idea I had but all in all, looking forward to the next release.

I really do, Axel. I'm probably gonna put a nobuild section there, or even some props to make building impossible. I hope that kills off most the sentry camping.

hrm, it looks like you kinda went off of what i suggested but in a way that doesn't actually block sentries...?

as opposed to my crappy line drawing, i meant something like this:

post-7212-12691451919895_thumb.jpg

or you could just use smaller corner pieces like that to block off the sentry-gaps there are now?