Sign in to follow this  
kami

Everyone Go Get Your Steam Account Verified To Protect From Phishing.

[Here's a link to a Steam article which explains what it does and how to do it.]

There seems to have been a big rise in the amount of accounts getting phished recently, I have posted about this in the phishing thread but think it deserves it's own thread so the information doesn't get lost in the sea of posts. Hopefully this will help stop any more accounts being lost.

Once you verify your email address Steam will email you about any password/email/secret question/account security changes and require you to confirm the changes.

Thanks, I verified it as soon as I found the instructions on how to do so.

I really don't want to loose all my games...TransparentCat was really lucky to still have his games after being phished.

And remember that every time you change your E-Mail (I tend to do this a LOT...), you'll have to you should re-verify it.

Don't forget to properly set up your secret question as well.

Your e-mail account won't do anything to save you if you can't answer the secret question.

I don't think I've done this yet. Will do so when I get home tonight. This shit seems to be a major problem with lots of things. I've heard about it for Facebook, Myspace, Yahoo and a few other things. Don't these people have anything better to do with there time than fuck around with other peoples accounts?

Another tip is to be weary of scams and links that are sent to you. Don't enter your login info into any link that someone sends you. Just because they can magically make their text all green or all blue (/me) does not mean that they work at Valve. If they do not have the official Valve group in their profile, they are fake (and Valve employees will never ask for your info, ever).

If you have been baited (i.e. someone sent you a phishing link), you can help make the world better by posting such links to http://phishtank.com/. PhishTank will circulate the phishing site onto many blacklists causing the site to be blocked. Many DNS servers, schools and several security tools (Kaspersky, McAffee, etc) use this.

If you have gotten scammed, IMMEDIATELY file an issue with Steam Support. You can attempt to change your password but this is if you are feeling lucky. In the several cases I've ever heard of someone getting hijacked on Steam, this approach has only worked once. The operators of phishing sites tend to be constantly watching their account database, so you will have very little time to change your password. Most likely, you will lose connection to Steam instantly. This means that the scammer already has access to your account.

Again, file an issue with Steam Support. Valve has a dedicated response team to handle stolen accounts. The faster you contact Valve, the higher the chance is that you'll get your account back with minimal damage.

Provide information such as:

• your steam account name
  • address that was tied to the account
  • your phone number
  • the last 4 purchases you've made
  • email address
  • any payment information you have used on your account (at any point of time)

Valve's official instructions on reporting hijacked accounts can be found here.

After contacting Valve, change the passwords on your paypal/clicknbuy and contact your back or credit card company and tell them to reissue you a new number (if you mention you believe your account has been stolen, you might have them respond faster [idk]).

But the first rule in keeping yourself protected is being informed and mindful of what you are clicking on. It's most likely a scam.

Why does the secret question always have to be case sensitive? I mean, does it matter how I capitalize the name of my first pet? (No, I do not use that secret question.)