540 replies to this topic

#501 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts
  • Soldier, Engineer, Medic

Posted February 10 2015 - 06:08 AM

Watched the last Rurouni Kenshin film, The Legend Ends.

I'm done. These movies in the trilogy are the best anime movie adaptations ever made ever in the history of everything that ever existed ever.

#502 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted March 11 2015 - 10:52 PM

Binge-watched Barakamon, and you can tell I really really REALLY liked it because that's the only time I ever binge-watch anything. 

And since all the shows that are usually on my 'Top' list were all binge-watched.... yes, I really really loved Barakamon. It's the kind of show I can pop in at any time, watch, and immediately feel satisfied. It's the kind of anime you can also show to anyone and it won't confuse them or require them to understand anime logic in any way, so it's infinitely shareable.

#503 SuperNintendo Chalmers

SuperNintendo Chalmers

The One With No Title

• Scrimmer
  • 72 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Sniper, Spy

Posted March 15 2015 - 03:01 PM

Binge-watched Barakamon, and you can tell I really really REALLY liked it because that's the only time I ever binge-watch anything. 

And since all the shows that are usually on my 'Top' list were all binge-watched.... yes, I really really loved Barakamon. It's the kind of show I can pop in at any time, watch, and immediately feel satisfied. It's the kind of anime you can also show to anyone and it won't confuse them or require them to understand anime logic in any way, so it's infinitely shareable.

Until you get to the Barakamon black seaslug episode, gets weird for a little bit during that part.

#504 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted March 15 2015 - 03:55 PM

Until you get to the Barakamon black seaslug episode, gets weird for a little bit during that part.

No, I already finished it. Actually, I rewatched it 3 times already.

#505 Horizon

Horizon

Oh boy it's that time of year again.

• Members
  • 1773 posts

Posted March 20 2015 - 08:11 PM

caught up a little with backloggery and such

Got caught up with Magic Kaito 1412, and finished Gekkan Shoujo.

Magic Kaito is interesting because it's essentially like Lupin III, except not as...fanservicey?  I guess.  Conan shows up in a couple of episdoes/ arcs, which is weird, but makes sense seeing as how both of them were drawn/made by the same person.  Give it a shot, ti's not too bad.

GEKKAN SHOUJO NEEDS A SECOND SEASON

Had your fun? -Xigbar, Kingdom Hearts, 358/2 Days
It's all about style. -Me
The AWESOME can not be TAUGHT! You must FEEL it! -SleepDepJoel on teaching awesome
I got voodoo. I got hoodoo. I got things I ain't even tried! And I got friends on the other side. -Dr. Facilier
A Year to Remember: Soul...Killed with the Fan :3
http://www.tf2items.com/id/SoldatLight
partymini.png

Spoiler:

http://ask.fm/HorizonStrider
Ask me question.  Because I know you want to.

#506 Dr. Soul

Dr. Soul

ech

• Scrimmer
  • 6921 posts
  • Scout, Pyro, Demoman, Medic

Posted March 21 2015 - 02:39 PM

GEKKAN SHOUJO NEEDS A SECOND SEASON

YES IT DOES

read the manga though.

"why am I the only one here not having a cock here?" -Fox McCrits

"Hey did you know that 4000 cats are eaten in China? Wanna pretend I'm asian and let me eat your pussyyyyy?"-Pikachu on LSD 

#507 Scyrius

Scyrius

Chaotic Neutral.

• TF2 Admins
  • 5402 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Engineer, Sniper, Medic, Spy

Posted March 21 2015 - 03:29 PM

NICHIJOU NEEDS A SECOND SEASON

Woop woop.
http://www.last.fm/user/WorldsEdge
Bella bella bella bellorum bellis bellis.

#508 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted March 24 2015 - 11:58 AM

Can't stop rewatching Yu-Gi-Oh! on Netflix.

And listening to 'Music to Duel By' to my everlasting shame

#509 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted May 06 2015 - 05:25 PM

Rewatched The Big-O. The more I rewatch this, the more hints of the foreshadowing from earlier episodes I see and the more I learn. I mostly get the entire picture now (or as far as was hinted), but that doesn't stop it from receiving 50 What-The-Fucks out of 10.

Also, R. Dorothy was able to move in the final episode without her core because love.

Spoiler:
Roger Smith is not a tomato.

#510 granola

granola

ԅ། ・ิ _ʖ ・ิ །ง

• Members
  • 1501 posts
  • Spy

Posted May 06 2015 - 06:42 PM

Trying to decide between Space Dandy and Kill la Kill. Help?

(i have a feeling soul will say kill la kill)

#511 M31

M31

geeettttttt dunked on!!!

• TF2 Admins
  • 2204 posts
  • Scout, Pyro, Engineer, Sniper

Posted May 06 2015 - 06:45 PM

Trying to decide between Space Dandy and Kill la Kill. Help?

(i have a feeling soul will say kill la kill)

Kill la Kill

I actually liked it a lot weirdly enough, since I'm so particular.  Just watched it again recently.

9RUOfZq.gif

76561198025756690.png

#512 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted May 06 2015 - 08:10 PM

#513 Horizon

Horizon

• Members
  • 1773 posts

Posted May 11 2015 - 06:39 PM

Finished Log Horizon 2 and Kyokai no Kanata today (Shut up, I'm a slow watcher okay?)

TL;DR Log Horizon 2 seems to suffer a little from sequilitis due to less content and different manner of telling story arcs.  Still a strong anime, just not as strong as season 1.  Kyokai no Kanata is a really strong slice of life shounen (if that makes sense) even if the ending was total bullshit.

Log Horizon Wall of text

Spoiler:
 The main gripe that I had with Log Horizon 2 is that there is definitely more filler this time round than the first season.  Then again, it's easy to say that considering Log Horizon 1 had maybe 1 episode of filler, while Log Horizon had at least 1.5 episodes of filler (I think the speech episode was entirely unneeded and the Kanami episode is a bit filler, but it eventually points back to the main plot).  In addition, there are parts where the animation quality wasn't as good as last season, and the real life transitions are really weird due to how they drew the eyes (they work around it though).  Finally, the way the arcs are presented do not really flow well into each other.  They seem more like separate stories than they are continuous arcs.

On the other hand, I really like how Log Horizon 2 is handling some of the aspects of modern MMOS (unlike some other virtual MMO anime).  For example, it explores the possibility of a character having alts, having a character be a different gender than they actually are, and what I think is really interesting are the protrayal of  bot characters that you see in games.  Oh and I really liked both the Magic bag arc and the Akagutsgi arc (Don't even say it ducky)

Overall, I would say give S2 a try if you liked S1 but watch it with a grain of salt.

this is where the Kanata wall of text would be, I don't think I need to elaborate more on what's been said on the TL;DR other than the animation of beautiful

The AWESOME can not be TAUGHT! You must FEEL it! -SleepDepJoel on teaching awesome
I got voodoo. I got hoodoo. I got things I ain't even tried! And I got friends on the other side. -Dr. Facilier
partymini.png

Spoiler:

#514 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted May 12 2015 - 11:32 PM

Watched The Last: Naruto the Movie, which aside from being an awesome title is a title that is arguably a total lie. I would have also called it Hinata: the Movie or Naruto on the Moon. And boy, do I have a LOT to say about this one.

I've seen a lot of Naruto movies and let me tell you: Naruto movies mostly suck. Sure there are some kickass action sequences with actual budget, but nothing you won't get elsewhere. What struck me about this one though is how quiet and reserved it is on the first 3/5's. It's so freaking weird. There's a lot of silent moments where it's just atmosphere building and a lot of gorgeous backdrops of Konohagakure's cityscape and inner workings.

As my alternate title implied, there's a lot of Hinata in this one. With Naruto finally getting the respect he deserves, many of Konoha's young impressionables adore and crush on him. Though it seems like Hinata is in for some competition, that part of the story is actually on Naruto's perspective. Having been resented his entire life, he doesn't understand or react well to both his newfound fame or the meaning of both adoration and love. In a sense, that's the foundation the entire film rests on: Hinata's desire to finally reveal everything that has been building up about her feelings, and Naruto coming to terms between the difference between merely 'liking' something and 'loving' someone.

I love the visual metaphor of Hinata's scarf as the film continues. A lot of the film's quiet moments are built on these, and it works. You can see Hinata's scarf getting longer and longer, eventually being destroyed (of course), but continued to be worked on until near the end of the movie.
Spoiler:
At the end, the scarf never makes it to Naruto, having been destroyed a second and final time. So despite all the visuals for the movie showing him with the scarf, he technically never actually wears it the entire film.

And I say 'technically' because it was no longer necessary. The scarf was supposed to be a gift that was a physical representation of her feelings. With both their feelings out in the open, the gift is no longer needed. And in the end, while passing through the dream-state that connects the earth to the moon (don't ask), Naruto wears a symbolic version of it that was longer than any she had ever knitted as they go through a nostalgic trip of their past adventures.

If I had any complaints about this film, is that it had to be Naruto film. Action scenes had to be here, cameos, an appearance of his Nine-Tailed superform, and whatnot... but they all only served to make the film weaker. This is one of those movies that didn't require a villain, and even less someone to go and kidnap Hinata just so she can be rescued several times. Also, the villain wanting to marry her was just too 'Western Romcom' terrible.

And though I complain about the fighting, at least we get to hear THESE again:
Spoiler:
That's right. It's the original theme AND action theme, back in action. Jeezuz, that brought back memories.

All in all, this was undoubtedly the best Naruto movie I've seen so far. It's great to see Naruto and Hinata's relationship be developed because honestly that epilogue was terrible at that (and a lot of other things). The ending credits actually shows their wedding in stills, and there's even a stinger after the full credits are over. If you like Naruto then you shouldn't miss this one.

#515 Isotoxin

Isotoxin

I'M STILL FRESHER!

• TF2 Admins
  • 2069 posts
  • Scout, Pyro, Heavy

Posted July 18 2015 - 10:18 PM

God damn, people haven't posted here for months. Guess I'll set things back up.

While making a sandwich at 11 PM, I caught an episode of Sword Art Online II on Toonami. From that one episode and scattered plotlines throughout the other nonsense I've seen, I'm gonna try and summarize the whole purpose of it, and then my take on the episode I saw and how it relates.

Okay, so basically there's main male character and female supporting character. Both of them get interested in this MMO thing which I guess is one of those virtual reality MMOs, since the first scene I saw was too "real-life" to me. Now, somewhere along those lines, I absolutely remember the whole "they get trapped in the game and if you die in the game, you die for real" kind of things, and I'm guessing that's still there, so death is still really bad. There's also the usual "here's a pack of friends with different personalities" trope that every anime does nowadays, and also fanservice every now and then. If I recall, there was also this MMOFPS thing they did, but that might be a tangent of the same series, I don't know.

Now, the episode. Basically, there was some giant space elephant that the main people saved from a four-armed ogre guy, and it turns out that saving it was a good idea because it flew them to a hidden dungeon where there's phat loot involving a legendary sword at the beginning of that episode. Then the game says "Oh hey, those giant elephants are bad and we're assigning a quest RIGHT NOW for you to beat them up." Everyone else does it because quests are cool, but the main guys don't because they know the space elephant is cool in their books. They say a lot of MMO talk about it in their guild base thing (yet they didn't say "fully specced" once), and then they go to the place. Some kind of faction war is going on between four-armed ogres and the space elephants. Main guys are sad, but they still wanna hit up the awesome sword dungeon. They hit up the awesome sword dungeon, but then they encounter some kinda NPC fairy queen that isn't an NPC, but an "AI" instead which is probably complete bullshit. The queen says some plot and there's lotsa Norse stuff in it, but basically, don't let the space elephants die and finish the dungeon first. Also, here's a pendant that tells you when you're fucked. Lastly, there was also fanservice.

From what I've seen, this arc I seem to have encountered is basically Ragnarok Online if it were virtual reality. Too much Norse and MMO terminology to not relate it to RO. Also, it totally rips off .hack//sign. Tell me if I'm somehow really correct or not. Might actually be kinda interested in this.

Edited by Isotoxin, July 18 2015 - 10:20 PM.

#516 Horizon

Horizon

• Members
  • 1773 posts

Posted July 18 2015 - 11:10 PM

From what I've seen, this arc I seem to have encountered is basically Ragnarok Online if it were virtual reality. Too much Norse and MMO terminology to not relate it to RO. Also, it totally rips off .hack//sign. Tell me if I'm somehow really correct or not. Might actually be kinda interested in this.

I have not touched upon SAO 2, but from what I remember from one episode, yesish.  Honestly I think it's really stupid how they seem to be in a new virtual world every half season.

Also my excuse for not posting here is not watching as much anime.  I did watch Yahari, but I want to wait until S2 before I do the full review and the main fansubbers that I'm interested in (thank you FFF) has had major issues trying to get people to actually translate it, and the fansubbers that have done S1 on my drive aren't doing S2.  The other anime I was interested in also interested in has virtually no fansubbers as well, and I don't trust Crunchyroll/HorribleSubs.

partymini.png

Spoiler:

#517 Dr. Soul

Dr. Soul

ech

• Scrimmer
  • 6921 posts
  • Scout, Pyro, Demoman, Medic

Posted July 19 2015 - 12:56 AM

Haven't posted in a while because I didn't actually cared about what I was watching. I watched "Is it ok to pick up girls in a dungeon?" which was...fun. 

Oh yeah I watched the JoJo anime and hot damn I regret not watching it before.

Spoiler:
1366060654969.jpg

I started ore monogatari and this is my reaction to it:

Spoiler:
tumblr_nmr57ufkca1qa0mm4o2_r1_1280.jpg

oh and also watched the first 2 episodes of Himouto Umaru-chan which is...fun. But I don't really care about that one. 

"why am I the only one here not having a cock here?" -Fox McCrits

"Hey did you know that 4000 cats are eaten in China? Wanna pretend I'm asian and let me eat your pussyyyyy?"-Pikachu on LSD 

#518 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted July 19 2015 - 01:06 AM

Watching JoJo myself, just started about 2 weeks ago. Only on the 2nd JoJo right now even though I've been binge-watching, but that's because I only watch on weekends when all my siblings are present.

Them's some pretty bizarre adventures, I'll give them that. Like Top Gun, it's the greatest combination of manliness and fabulousness.

#519 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted August 05 2015 - 02:58 AM

Halfway through Part 3: Stardust Crusaders of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Jotaro isn't even remotely near as fun to watch as Joseph, and it feels like it slowed to a crawl compared to the whirlwind speed of the first two JoJos. Nonetheless fun to watch, and these adventures are rightfullly BIZARRE AS HELL.

Spoiler:
Like the part where they entered a ghost ship that was actually created by the power of an evil orangutan who creeps on underage girls in showers and reads Playboy but is also one of the main antagonist's minions who is a vampire wearing the body of the original JoJo after cutting his head off and sinking into the ocean for a hundred years.

If THAT's not bizarre to anybody, I don't know what is.

#520 Ducky

Ducky

Supreme Duck Overlord

• Scrimmer
  • 3844 posts

Posted September 02 2015 - 04:04 PM

Finally finished JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, at least until the 4th JoJo appears.

This sums up everything I feel about it:
Spoiler:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users