Sign in to follow this  
ratty

New Server

Did an upgrade on the hardware this morning.

Old server:

Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz E6600

4G RAM

New server:

Quad Core Xeon Nehalem 2.4ghz E5530

8G RAM

There's no difference that I can feel when playing on the server, but now we have more room for growth.

Holy crap, four cores!

That's some srs uppgrads

MMM, I love the Nehalem/Core i7 chips. That and 8 GB of RAM will definitely help out later down the road. 4 physical cores on the dye, 8 virtual from Hyper Threading.

I kept saying "Spare no expense!" like the Jurassic Park guy while ordering it. :)

I turned off hyperthreading when troubleshooting some lag spikes, I read that it can hurt things when you do a lot of Mysql (which is a lot of the server load), so its off. 2 of the cores are just asleep most of the time right now anyway.

In other news, i just turned on memcached on the forums. I want zippy forums damn it.

I kept saying "Spare no expense!" like the Jurassic Park guy while ordering it. :)

DO WE GET A T-REX??

DO WE GET A T-REX??

No, but you all get a bucket of Nom-nom-nom branded ice cream.

Yaaaaay!

DO WE GET A T-REX??

You should start up one of those online souvenir shops. With t-shirts with pictures of Whale on them. :lol: (It's a work in progress! :P)

Decent hardware upgrade, what OS setup are you guys running off anyway?

Unrelated note: why do I keep running into things I've made in the past? e.g. Joe's avatar. :lol:

Aw, when I saw 'New Server' I thought you meant you added annother server to the list. But oh-well, good news is good news. :)

Unrelated note: why do I keep running into things I've made in the past? e.g. Joe's avatar. :lol:

I think a few months ago, someone linked the whole set (search 'Only manly men may enter') and everone had one of them for an avatar (a bit like when everyone had an adsfj avatars).

DO WE GET A T-REX??

Pre-ordered

DO WE GET A T-REX??

Delicious.

Well I'll be damned, it was you that made it. :ohttp://www.facepunch.com/showpost.php?p=17287970&postcount=464 I found this on Facepunch last year and was hoping someone would cut/crop it into an avatar sized one for the front page of the Manly Angry Avatars thread. No one ever managed to size it down, so I took it and managed to custom size it myself and keep ahold of it. Thank you for the epic heavy avatar!

Small world after all. :lol:

Aw, when I saw 'New Server' I thought you meant you added annother server to the list. But oh-well, good news is good news. :)

Ahh yeah, I hate how the only term for both things is "server". The hardware box that it runs on, and the TF2 instance are both "server". I blame society.

CentOS Linux.

Bacon is on FreeBSD because Cupcake is a big FreeBSD whore.

Why do I have the feeling that there's bits of bacon in it?

There is!

Posted Image

(Digusting!)

Small world after all. :lol:

Heh indeed.

CentOS Linux.

Bacon is on FreeBSD because Cupcake is a big FreeBSD whore.

Interesting, I didn't think srcds ran on FreeBSD.

The more you know.

Sign in to follow this