597 replies to this topic

#1 Ager

Ager

Shitposter extraordinaire

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted May 01 2010 - 01:12 AM

Things around GW2 have been silent for a very long time, but ArenaNet and NCSoft have finally started spilling the beans!

Article One: Skills
tl;dr:

Movement is much more free than in the original game: now you can jump, climb and swim, and tactical positioning is rewarded.

To illustrate what I'm talking about, I was watching two of our game designers--Jon and Isaiah--play the other day. Jon is using his shield to deflect the fire breath of a drake, when Isaiah hits the drake from behind with a skill called Devastating Hammer, launching it into the air. The drake is sent flying over Jon's head, who immediately turns and uses a skill called Savage Leap to impale and finish the drake right as it hits the ground. This was a very cool looking (and effective!) sequence of events that flowed very naturally from how combat in Guild Wars 2 works.

Players can now equip ten skills at once (compared with the eight in the original). Some old skills are back, including elite skills, of which the player can only carry one at the time.

All skills are influenced by the players profession (class). The first five skills depend on the weapon(s) the player is carrying, and the other five depend on its race. The descriptions and effects have been simplified, and the results of using a certain skill are visually clear (GW1 players might know what I mean).
ArenaNet did this so players are ensured to have a good "build" of skills: no build has "useless" skills, if used correctly.

Article Two: Combat, Races and Professions
tl;dr:

Like stated before, the first five skills you carry are influenced by the type of weapon you carry. Weapons carried in you off-hand, for example, will act differently from weapons carried in you main hand, even if it's the same type of weapon.
Players can now use their surroundings to their advantage: siege weapons can be used, and even common-looking items can become a deadly weapon in your hands.
Boulders can be picked up and thrown, or you can pick up a barstool, smash it over a patron's head, and use a chair leg as a make-shift club!
The type of interaction varies from profession to profession: remember that boulder you could pick up? If you happen to be an elementalist, you can launch it into the skies, and make it crash down like a meteor.

Professions can now be roughly divided into 3 armour groups:
-Scholars, who use light armour
-Adventurers, who use medium armour
-And Soldiers, who use heavy armour

Currently there are three scholar professions, three adventurer professions and two soldier professions.
Each profession has been revised, to give each an unique feeling and type of gameplay (you know the drill).
Secondary professions (i.e. a second class you can pick for the same character, using the skills of that class as well) have been dropped in favor of balance, and racial differences have enough weight already anyway.
The fact you can't use skills from two different professions doesn't matter much in cooperative play, because now there are Cross-Profession Combos!

A warrior and an Elementalist playing together could combine their abilities in several different ways. The Elementalist could drop down Static Field, which is an area-targeted lightning effect. A warrior who fires a rifle bullet through the static field would cause his shot to be charged up with electricity, inflicting additional damage. If that didn't suit their style, then the Elementalist might drop a Wall of Fire in front of a group of enemies. The warrior could enter the firewall and use Cyclone Axe, an attack which causes him to spin rapidly, sending the firewall outward and hitting his foes. There are literally hundreds of combinations for players to discover.

I came.

Moving on: five out ten skills depend of your character's race:

A sylvari warrior might choose to bring Grasping Roots, which immobilizes a foe, while an asura warrior might choose to bring Arcane Blast for some additional ranged damage.

Elite racial skills will also be introduced, like the Norn's ability to change into animals.

Next up: Meet the Elementalist (need someone to reply, otherwise the video's and so will be added to this post, making it even longer)

#2 Scare

Scare

S.P.E.C.T.R.E.

• Administrators
  • 2945 posts

Posted May 01 2010 - 01:13 AM

Hm, I lost interest in GW2 when Aion came out, but since I gave up on Aion, I might try GW out again. I miss my one-of-every-class palette.
Hopefully they'll have a good booth this year at PAX! 2 years ago, I got the 3rd anniv. t-shirt, last year they didn't really have a presence.
Posted Image

#3 Rat with a Rifle

Rat with a Rifle

I post a lot!

• Members
  • 941 posts
  • Heavy

Posted May 01 2010 - 01:31 AM

You have no idea how psyched I am for this game!
It doesn't matter how far apart we are. The bonds we've made will remain strong. Everyone's heart is connected to the people they know and trust. It's those bonds that let us all search for our purpose in life. As-long as it's a purpose you believe in, there will always be someone who can help you fulfill it. You, me, and everyone else. There are no barriers.

Our hearts are one.
Posted Image

#4 Javan

Javan

like a boss

• Scrimmer
  • 2893 posts

Posted May 01 2010 - 01:41 AM

is there a date out yet? I mean...when it will be out? Hope it still has an international section

Posted Image

#5 Ager

Ager

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted May 01 2010 - 03:12 AM

Answers:
-GW2 will be completely different from traditional MMORPG's, don't know if you are aware of its features... (I'll explain below)
-Yes, me too
-No release date, but perhaps open beta at end 2010/begin 2011. And yes, intercontinental games will still be held, in the form of realm vs realm (battles of over 500 players, wow-wee)

For those who don't know, one of the features that sets GW2 apart from other MMORPG's is a more dynamic world and flexible quest system.
In short: you don't have to take quests from NPC's, and the result of your adventures will reflect itself in the gameworld.

Example: there are pipes providing a town with water. Bandits decide to destroy the pipes. You can watch and see how the structures are destroyed, or you can try and stop them. You don't need to apply anywhere: just go and do something!
The same thing applies to other players: anyone can jump in and help you, without having to form a party. Their help will be welcome, because everyone gets the same ammount of loot and experience for their troubles, no matter how many people decide to join. And these events scale automatically: if more players come to help, more bandits will come to attack.
Now if the pipes are destroyed, workers will come and repair them, leading to a new event.
Or maybe the pipes weren't even being attacked. Maybe everything is a-ok over there. But it's possible the bandits decided to plunder a neighbouring village today...

As you can see, if this is to be true, GW2 will have great cooperative play, encouraging people to join in and help. These events will be repeatable, since you don't have to apply for a quest, and there is always something new going on.

Another thing: grinding is unnecessary.
The level treshold of the game is low, the focus not lying on level, but tactical use of skills.

Moving on:

Posted Image

The Elementalist

The elementalist is a powerful and versatile mage, that uses the four elements to his/her advantage. You can change your atunement to:
-Fire: deals damage to multiple enemies, and scorches anyone foolish enough to get near you
-Air: harness wind and lighting, dealing ludicrous damage to a single target. While atuned to this element, enemies surrounding you will be constantly hit by lightning.
-Water: instead of focusing on damage, this skills hinder your enemies, by freezing them, for example. Nearby allies receive constant healing.
-Earth: consists of defensive moves, using the ground underneath your enemies feet to your advantage, and receiving a magical defense bonus yourself.

I'd love to share the video right here, but I don't know how to embed something except for youtube video's. Check out the link above, or just tell me how to do it, if you please.

#6 Wulfie

Wulfie

Not even from the Pokéhoods

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted May 01 2010 - 04:35 AM

Oh gawd. I want this game. Nooooow!
3DS: 4828 - 4412 - 4409
AC:NL : Ruelle

Posted Image

#7 Rat with a Rifle

Rat with a Rifle

I post a lot!

• Members
  • 941 posts
  • Heavy

Posted May 01 2010 - 05:55 AM

The elementalist is a powerful and versatile mage, that uses the four elements to his/her advantage. You can change your atunement to:
-Fire: deals damage to multiple enemies, and scorches anyone foolish enough to get near you
-Air: harness wind and lighting, dealing ludicrous damage to a single target. While atuned to this element, enemies surrounding you will be constantly hit by lightning.
-Water: instead of focusing on damage, this skills hinder your enemies, by freezing them, for example. Nearby allies receive constant healing.
-Earth: consists of defensive moves, using the ground underneath your enemies feet to your advantage, and receiving a magical defense bonus yourself.

I just hope each of those elements aren't specific to that. Meaning, I hope that Water will also have a-couple skills that allow him to nuke/spike an enemy as-well. Same with the other elements.
It doesn't matter how far apart we are. The bonds we've made will remain strong. Everyone's heart is connected to the people they know and trust. It's those bonds that let us all search for our purpose in life. As-long as it's a purpose you believe in, there will always be someone who can help you fulfill it. You, me, and everyone else. There are no barriers.

Our hearts are one.
Posted Image

#8 Ager

Ager

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted May 01 2010 - 06:00 AM

I just hope each of those elements aren't specific to that. Meaning, I hope that Water will also have a-couple skills that allow him to nuke/spike an enemy as-well. Same with the other elements.

Of course. Water trident, for example, is back, as seen in the videos. It's just that Water focuses more on healing and hindering than Air or Fire.

#9 Rat with a Rifle

Rat with a Rifle

I post a lot!

• Members
  • 941 posts
  • Heavy

Posted May 01 2010 - 06:19 AM

Of course. Water trident, for example, is back, as seen in the videos. It's just that Water focuses more on healing and hindering than Air or Fire.

Alright, good. I thought as-much. I just wanted to make sure. Would have been a real shame had they done it any other way.

All-in-all, this is working out to be a ridiculously fun game. I cannot wait for it to finally e released.

Our hearts are one.
Posted Image

#10 Touhosu

Touhosu

Tits.

• Banned
  • 774 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Medic, Spy

Posted May 01 2010 - 08:11 AM

Aw man. I love, love, LOVED Guild Wars 1. I had such a ballin' Ritualist. ;w; (but since they're so underpowered, you can hardly call them that) But then I quit after like, my 6th character... <.<
Posted Image

Javan: and stop stabbing people Touhosu

#11 kami

kami

It only matters if it rocks.

• Members
  • 1474 posts

Posted May 01 2010 - 08:56 AM

I've been playing Guild Wars for nearly 5 years, I can't wait for GW2 - hurry up already! :(

#12 Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe

A Real Arabian Hero!

• Scrimmer
  • 792 posts

Posted May 01 2010 - 09:00 AM

I've been following this for a bit since I use to play Guild Wars a few years ago. The only thing I hated was that you could never find party members toward the later parts of the story line to finish the campaign up, and the amount of useless PVP junkies that never worked together. From what I have been reading and seeing about Guild Wars 2 it would seem they have listened to the community and finally made a damn fun MMO. Also, it's like $50 for life. No subscription is what hooked me the first time. :lol:

I miss my Warrior... :(
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Employee of the Month

Employee of the Month

Will now only respond with pictures

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted May 01 2010 - 09:09 AM

guild wars 2 eh. never played the 1st and aion got boring in beta. was waiting for old republic but maybe ill give this a try
One fine spring day a disciple looked at some branches blowing in the wind.
He asked his master “master are the branches moving or is it the wind?”
Not even glancing to where the pupil was pointing the master smiled and said “that which moves is neither the branches nor the wind; it’s your heart and mind.”

emps backpack

Don't listen to that guy. He's trying to lead you down the path of righteousness. I'm gonna lead you down the path that rocks!

#14 Scare

Scare

S.P.E.C.T.R.E.

• Administrators
  • 2945 posts

Posted May 01 2010 - 12:33 PM

According to Gamestop, release date is Nov 2. They've delayed it enough times now that this is probably fairly accurate. I wonder if they're going to add in special emotes/char slots for the collec. edition, like they usually do.
Posted Image

#15 Zaranell

Zaranell

Big Poster

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • Gamespy ID: Zaranell
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Heavy

Posted May 01 2010 - 01:14 PM

I never did play the first one, although I was tempted. I wouldn't mind having a good, fun MMO that isn't grind-tastic. I thought I was going to get that with Warhammer Online, but that was a disappointment. Had some great ideas, to be sure, but was too similar to WoW.

Does Guild Wars 1 have a free trial?
Posted Image
"Be a victor, or be a victim!"

#16 Scare

Scare

S.P.E.C.T.R.E.

• Administrators
  • 2945 posts

Posted May 01 2010 - 01:24 PM

I never did play the first one, although I was tempted. I wouldn't mind having a good, fun MMO that isn't grind-tastic. I thought I was going to get that with Warhammer Online, but that was a disappointment. Had some great ideas, to be sure, but was too similar to WoW.

Does Guild Wars 1 have a free trial?

Yes, it does. Just go to the ncsoft website, make an account if you don't have any other ncsoft games, and get a trial key. You can get the client from there too. Steam has the entire trilogy for $20 ($10 on sale).
Posted Image

#17 Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe

A Real Arabian Hero!

• Scrimmer
  • 792 posts

Posted May 01 2010 - 02:25 PM

I reinstalled mine to get back into something until GW2 comes out or any of my other games patch up to standards. Anyone else with GW wanna get together and do something some time in game?

Lvl 20 W/Mo - Siegmund Naglfar
Lvl 20 E/Mo - Nasir Caineghis
Lvl 20 A/Mo - Saleh Jaffar
Posted Image

#18 Scare

Scare

S.P.E.C.T.R.E.

• Administrators
  • 2945 posts

Posted May 01 2010 - 04:51 PM

Yeah, that sounds like fun. I've got one of every class, and I think only two haven't finished their home campaign yet.
Msg me when you're feeling up to playing, I just reinstalled and did a quest today myself.
Posted Image

#19 Javan

Javan

like a boss

• Scrimmer
  • 2893 posts

Posted May 01 2010 - 04:54 PM

I reinstalled mine to get back into something until GW2 comes out or any of my other games patch up to standards. Anyone else with GW wanna get together and do something some time in game?

ask hoovie, I'm sure he'd enjoy to play with you as well

Posted Image

#20 Ager

Ager

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted May 02 2010 - 12:56 AM

I'm starting to feel like reinstalling the game...
Let's play together sometime!
(Warning: I suck donkey balls)

Lvl 20 A/Mo - Ager Boniard

Aw man. I love, love, LOVED Guild Wars 1. I had such a ballin' Ritualist. ;w; (but since they're so underpowered, you can hardly call them that) But then I quit after like, my 6th character... <.<

Are you kidding me? A friend of mine had a build that killed anyone who touched him... It was bad at attacking directly, but the moment any mob was stupid enough to lift a finger, he was toast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users