Sign in to follow this  
Ager

Guild Wars 2

They just released some info about the Warrior class and the Traits system. See the first link for a nice Video about some of these classic returning GW skills.

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/warrior/

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/traits-overview/

:lol: Yay, Sever Artery, Gash, and Final Slash are all in 1 slot as a chain skill.

You took mah jerb!

On a side note, it would seem the GW2 Warrior is a combination of GW1 Warrior and Ranger... Maybe they rolled it into one single class...

On a side note, it would seem the GW2 Warrior is a combination of GW1 Warrior and Ranger... Maybe they rolled it into one single class...

Dunno how I feel about that, but I guess it would be expected. I hope not, though. Ranger's my best and favorite profession .-.

are we gonna see a nom nom guild when it comes out?

Heck ya! Sign me up!

i hope people from the wow area move here. that means you ratty and mangachu

I'd be down for a nommers guild. I just got Trilogy a few weeks ago and am loving it; do we have any active members on GW1 currently?

Oh and any info on that beta we should be sure to post it here for GW2. Would love to get everyone into this!

i hope people from the wow area move here. that means you ratty and mangachu

I'd be down for a nommers guild. I just got Trilogy a few weeks ago and am loving it; do we have any active members on GW1 currently?

Oh and any info on that beta we should be sure to post it here for GW2. Would love to get everyone into this!

Huh, don't expect beta to be any soon. All rumours point out it'll be around 2011... :unsure:

But, to be on the safe side, you can always sign up for the newsletter, and we'll always notify of any news on the website and blog (well, I at least am planning of doing so)

Well, Jihad Joe did post the new links, but didn't really describe the contents of the articles. So here goes, for conformity's and OCD's sake.

Posted Image

The Warrior

tl;dr

The bread and butter of any MMORPG, the warrior is first candidate for face-to-face man-fighting. They can take a serious beating, and give one just as well. They are quite versatile in weaponry, being able to use melee weapons (such as swords and maces) and long-range weapons (bows and guns) just as well.

His/her main mechanic is the use of adrenaline in battle. When in battle, the Warrior gets pumped, and the more adrenaline (s)he has, the more damages (s)he deals. Adrenaline is used up with certain skills, which deal massive damage.

The warrior's main skill types are:

-Stances: behave like channeled spells, draining the ammount of energy you regenerate. Affect things like the ammount of adrenaline you gain in battle, for example.

-Chains: chain attacks occupy one single weapon skill slot, and are used one after the other. In other words, warrior have more attacks tied to their weapons.

-Banners: buffs with an area of effect (like the Soldier's Buff Banner. duh). They can be carried around by the Warrior, or planted on the ground.

-Shouts: another type of "spells" with an area of effect.

-Charge/burst skills: adrenaline can be saved up to give more power to this type of skills

Though it's not very clear yet, the Warrior seems to be a combination of the Warrior and the Ranger from GW1. Due to the new skill system, wielding a bow grants him/her distance attacks. Will (s)he replace the previous dedicated long-range class? We'll see.

EDIT: the Ranger profession has been confirmed.

Article five: Traits

tl;dr

In GW1, your character's stats were called "attributes": the more attribute points were spent on one type (e.g. Sword Mastery), the better the skills tied to that attribute were.

This carries over to GW2, and a new element is introduced: your character's traits. Traits affect your skills and attributes, and are essential to your character's build. On a first glance, it would seem they are comparable to WoW's talent system.

A (vague) description of how the slotting of these traits looks like is given:

Each profession has its own set of trait lines. These are similar in theme to the profession specific attribute lines in the original Guild Wars. Each trait line has a number of major and minor slots. Warriors, right now, have two general lines called Power and Tactics as well as lines for each of the weapons they can wield. As you master traits, you slot them into these lines, affecting your character.

To acquire Trait points, one must fulfil profession-specific quests (learn fighting techniques from an old swordsman of find an ancient magic tome, for example). Just like skills and attributes, traits can be changed outside of battle on the fly, free of charge

(unlike Blizzard, ArenaNet is aiming for fun, not slavery ^_^)

EDIT: tripple post. Wow. Am I a regular now?

RE-EDIT: here's the new link roundup from the ArenaNet blog. They don't really tell anything new, so I won't bother resuming it.

Last EDIT: does anyone know if it's possible to embed Shockwave Flash? I'm trying to embed it here, but it doesn't seem to work...

News from the ArenaNet blog, concerning Activities (games within the game)

tl;dr

Activities are mini-games that break away from the usual gameplay (Cpt. Obvious is obvious).

Examples that are given are:

-Snowball fight: an ancient Tyrian tradition, brought from the first game. In GW1, it's basically PvP where two teams fight each other, and everyone has the same set of (Winter-themed) skills.

-Shooting range: speaks for itself: shoot targets before anyone else and win points.

Posted Image

-Bar brawls: now this sounds interesting.

A free-for-all fight, where all participants are as intoxicated as possible. Different kinds of ale have different effects, such as toxic belches with an area of effect.

No weapons may be brought inside the bar, so you'll have to fight with your bare hands, or with whatever you can find. Smash a bottle over someone's head, and use the broken shards to shank another victim, for example. Since you're in it for yourself, you have to fight dirty, because you can bet everyone else will!

Stop getting me so excited with all these tidbits of updates. D; joaks, o' course

I will play this game the moment it comes out. Also, I fully aprove of a Nom guild.

Honestly, I use to do a mix. I never really cared about tactics, but I always had a combo of Healing Breeze/Healing Hands for PVE and just staying alive when I was questing. I ran adrenaline sword paladin in GW.

Yeah, no idea what I'll be this time around. I like everything, though I tend to lean towards rangers and eles.

The Asura and their golems look sweet, I'm playing that.

Article Six: Healing and Death

tl;dr

• Once your health drops to zero, you will get in a downed state. In this state, you have different skills, to help you in your last-ditch effort to save yourself.
  • Should you be able to kill your enemy, you will rally and continue to fight
  • Allies can rally you too, actively or inderectly through skills used during combat. Anyone can rally you, from level 1.
  • There is no death penalty, it just takes longer for you to revive with each consecutive death. Should you fall, you can choose to wait for an ally to revive you or respawn at a waypoint.
  • There is no dedicated healing profession.

We have lots of people in our studio that enjoyed playing monks in Guild Wars and healers in other games. We examined what it was about the healer archetypes that people really enjoyed, and we took a look at what it was about those archetypes that made the game less enjoyable. Then we created professions to appeal to those types of players.

Support players want to be able to say, "Remember that one time when I saved you from certain death?" They want to stand in the line of fire and block attacks. They want to surround their allies with a swirling dome of air that keeps enemy projectiles from passing through it. It's not about clicking on a health bar and watching it go up, it's about being there for your friends when they need you.

ArenaNet find that healers are too one-sided, and could unbalance otherwise fine games, either PvE or PvP. All professions have healing skills, and each skill has various effects, both on allies and foes. AoE frost attacks damage foes, but also buff allies, for example.

This way, they try to move away from the chewed-out heal/tank/dps model.