• Please log in to reply
597 replies to this topic

#21 kami

kami

It only matters if it rocks.

• Members
  • 1474 posts

Posted May 02 2010 - 01:41 AM

According to Gamestop, release date is Nov 2. They've delayed it enough times now that this is probably fairly accurate. I wonder if they're going to add in special emotes/char slots for the collec. edition, like they usually do.

ANet said they were aiming for a 2011 release, that could be the first beta perhaps?

also I play every now and again my IGN is 'Fearne Cotton'

#22 Ager

Ager

Shitposter extraordinaire

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted May 12 2010 - 10:51 AM

Article Three: Dynamic events
tl;dr

Taking quests from NPC's with an exclamation mark above their heads is so passé.
In GW2, instead of getting walls of text flung at you, you see something bad happening, and you chose to do something about it, or not (like the oft stated example of a village being attacked by bandits).

The outcome of your doings will have an impact on the game world: if you fail to defend the village, the bandits will burn it down, and make an encampment there. Reinforcements will be sent to reinforce the bandit camp: if you fail to stop them, the camp may well be equipped with siege weaponry the next time you get there. And so on and so forth...

Since these events are free to join, anyone helping you (no parties are needed) will be fully rewarded; also, the event will scale itself to the number of players: more adventurers means bigger waves of baddies, and vice-versa.

Next up: your character's personal tale.

#23 Ager

Ager

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted May 29 2010 - 03:14 PM

Article four: Personal story
tl;dr

-When creating a character, you will not only be able to choose a profession, a race and your looks, but you'll get a biography as well. By answering a few questions, your character's past and personality will be defined, which will influence the way you interact with the game world (e.g. your hometown/starting point; how NPC's react to you).
-The story combinations are in the thousands.
-Although these stories are personal, friends can help you out (like any other events, they scale accordingly to the number of participants).
-Your personal story quests do not exclude you from any other events. You can put them aside and continue later.
-A permanent record of your deeds is held, and you can compare achievements with other players.

That's it for now, sorry for not updating the thread on the same day the GW2 blog updates. You can find it here: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

#24 Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe

A Real Arabian Hero!

• Scrimmer
  • 792 posts

Posted June 09 2010 - 08:56 PM

They just released some info about the Warrior class and the Traits system. See the first link for a nice Video about some of these classic returning GW skills.

http://www.guildwars...ssions/warrior/

http://www.guildwars...raits-overview/

:lol: Yay, Sever Artery, Gash, and Final Slash are all in 1 slot as a chain skill.
Posted Image

#25 Employee of the Month

Employee of the Month

Will now only respond with pictures

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted June 09 2010 - 09:01 PM

im getting this. i need a new mmo anyways
One fine spring day a disciple looked at some branches blowing in the wind.
He asked his master “master are the branches moving or is it the wind?”
Not even glancing to where the pupil was pointing the master smiled and said “that which moves is neither the branches nor the wind; it’s your heart and mind.”

emps backpack

Don't listen to that guy. He's trying to lead you down the path of righteousness. I'm gonna lead you down the path that rocks!

#26 Ager

Ager

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted June 10 2010 - 04:13 AM

They just released some info about the Warrior class and the Traits system. See the first link for a nice Video about some of these classic returning GW skills.

http://www.guildwars...ssions/warrior/

http://www.guildwars...raits-overview/

:lol: Yay, Sever Artery, Gash, and Final Slash are all in 1 slot as a chain skill.

You took mah jerb!

On a side note, it would seem the GW2 Warrior is a combination of GW1 Warrior and Ranger... Maybe they rolled it into one single class...

#27 Rat with a Rifle

Rat with a Rifle

I post a lot!

• Members
  • 941 posts
  • Heavy

Posted June 10 2010 - 06:45 AM

On a side note, it would seem the GW2 Warrior is a combination of GW1 Warrior and Ranger... Maybe they rolled it into one single class...

Dunno how I feel about that, but I guess it would be expected. I hope not, though. Ranger's my best and favorite profession .-.
It doesn't matter how far apart we are. The bonds we've made will remain strong. Everyone's heart is connected to the people they know and trust. It's those bonds that let us all search for our purpose in life. As-long as it's a purpose you believe in, there will always be someone who can help you fulfill it. You, me, and everyone else. There are no barriers.

Our hearts are one.
Posted Image

#28 Tiger-Flavored Cereal

Tiger-Flavored Cereal

Let's go exploring!

• Members
  • 538 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Demoman

Posted June 10 2010 - 07:09 AM

DAYUM.
This looks pretty damn legit. The one-time-price thing looks good too...
Prolly gonna get this when it comes out :3
Don't you hate it when your boogers freeze up?

#29 Employee of the Month

Employee of the Month

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted June 10 2010 - 07:59 AM

are we gonna see a nom nom guild when it comes out?
Not even glancing to where the pupil was pointing the master smiled and said “that which moves is neither the branches nor the wind; it’s your heart and mind.”

emps backpack

Don't listen to that guy. He's trying to lead you down the path of righteousness. I'm gonna lead you down the path that rocks!

#30 Ager

Ager

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted June 10 2010 - 01:05 PM

are we gonna see a nom nom guild when it comes out?

Heck ya! Sign me up!

#31 Employee of the Month

Employee of the Month

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted June 10 2010 - 02:47 PM

i hope people from the wow area move here. that means you ratty and mangachu

emps backpack

#32 Raoull

Raoull

He Who Has No Title

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted June 11 2010 - 10:11 AM

I'd be down for a nommers guild. I just got Trilogy a few weeks ago and am loving it; do we have any active members on GW1 currently?

Oh and any info on that beta we should be sure to post it here for GW2. Would love to get everyone into this!

#33 Ager

Ager

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted June 11 2010 - 11:03 AM

I'd be down for a nommers guild. I just got Trilogy a few weeks ago and am loving it; do we have any active members on GW1 currently?

Oh and any info on that beta we should be sure to post it here for GW2. Would love to get everyone into this!

Huh, don't expect beta to be any soon. All rumours point out it'll be around 2011... :unsure:
But, to be on the safe side, you can always sign up for the newsletter, and we'll always notify of any news on the website and blog (well, I at least am planning of doing so)

#34 Ager

Ager

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted June 11 2010 - 12:04 PM

Well, Jihad Joe did post the new links, but didn't really describe the contents of the articles. So here goes, for conformity's and OCD's sake.

Posted Image

The Warrior

tl;dr

The bread and butter of any MMORPG, the warrior is first candidate for face-to-face man-fighting. They can take a serious beating, and give one just as well. They are quite versatile in weaponry, being able to use melee weapons (such as swords and maces) and long-range weapons (bows and guns) just as well.
His/her main mechanic is the use of adrenaline in battle. When in battle, the Warrior gets pumped, and the more adrenaline (s)he has, the more damages (s)he deals. Adrenaline is used up with certain skills, which deal massive damage.

The warrior's main skill types are:
-Stances: behave like channeled spells, draining the ammount of energy you regenerate. Affect things like the ammount of adrenaline you gain in battle, for example.
-Chains: chain attacks occupy one single weapon skill slot, and are used one after the other. In other words, warrior have more attacks tied to their weapons.
-Banners: buffs with an area of effect (like the Soldier's Buff Banner. duh). They can be carried around by the Warrior, or planted on the ground.
-Shouts: another type of "spells" with an area of effect.
-Charge/burst skills: adrenaline can be saved up to give more power to this type of skills

Though it's not very clear yet, the Warrior seems to be a combination of the Warrior and the Ranger from GW1. Due to the new skill system, wielding a bow grants him/her distance attacks. Will (s)he replace the previous dedicated long-range class? We'll see.
EDIT: the Ranger profession has been confirmed.

#35 Ager

Ager

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted June 11 2010 - 12:21 PM

Article five: Traits
tl;dr

In GW1, your character's stats were called "attributes": the more attribute points were spent on one type (e.g. Sword Mastery), the better the skills tied to that attribute were.

This carries over to GW2, and a new element is introduced: your character's traits. Traits affect your skills and attributes, and are essential to your character's build. On a first glance, it would seem they are comparable to WoW's talent system.

A (vague) description of how the slotting of these traits looks like is given:

Each profession has its own set of trait lines. These are similar in theme to the profession specific attribute lines in the original Guild Wars. Each trait line has a number of major and minor slots. Warriors, right now, have two general lines called Power and Tactics as well as lines for each of the weapons they can wield. As you master traits, you slot them into these lines, affecting your character.

To acquire Trait points, one must fulfil profession-specific quests (learn fighting techniques from an old swordsman of find an ancient magic tome, for example). Just like skills and attributes, traits can be changed outside of battle on the fly, free of charge

(unlike Blizzard, ArenaNet is aiming for fun, not slavery ^_^)

EDIT: tripple post. Wow. Am I a regular now?
RE-EDIT: here's the new link roundup from the ArenaNet blog. They don't really tell anything new, so I won't bother resuming it.
Last EDIT: does anyone know if it's possible to embed Shockwave Flash? I'm trying to embed it here, but it doesn't seem to work...

#36 Employee of the Month

Employee of the Month

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted June 16 2010 - 10:53 PM

questions and answers about guild wars 2

emps backpack

#37 Ager

Ager

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted June 18 2010 - 10:01 AM

Dociu Receives Applied Arts Award for GW2 Concept Art.

Seriously, that concept art is amazing.

#38 Rat with a Rifle

Rat with a Rifle

I post a lot!

• Members
  • 941 posts
  • Heavy

Posted June 19 2010 - 11:39 AM

Dociu Receives Applied Arts Award for GW2 Concept Art.

Seriously, that concept art is amazing.

Well deserved, if I may say.
It doesn't matter how far apart we are. The bonds we've made will remain strong. Everyone's heart is connected to the people they know and trust. It's those bonds that let us all search for our purpose in life. As-long as it's a purpose you believe in, there will always be someone who can help you fulfill it. You, me, and everyone else. There are no barriers.

Our hearts are one.
Posted Image

#39 Ager

Ager

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted July 01 2010 - 12:44 PM

News from the ArenaNet blog, concerning Activities (games within the game)
tl;dr

Activities are mini-games that break away from the usual gameplay (Cpt. Obvious is obvious).
Examples that are given are:

-Snowball fight: an ancient Tyrian tradition, brought from the first game. In GW1, it's basically PvP where two teams fight each other, and everyone has the same set of (Winter-themed) skills.

-Shooting range: speaks for itself: shoot targets before anyone else and win points.
Posted Image

-Bar brawls: now this sounds interesting.
A free-for-all fight, where all participants are as intoxicated as possible. Different kinds of ale have different effects, such as toxic belches with an area of effect.
No weapons may be brought inside the bar, so you'll have to fight with your bare hands, or with whatever you can find. Smash a bottle over someone's head, and use the broken shards to shank another victim, for example. Since you're in it for yourself, you have to fight dirty, because you can bet everyone else will!

#40 Touhosu

Touhosu

Tits.

• Banned
  • 774 posts
  • Scout, Soldier, Medic, Spy

Posted July 01 2010 - 01:31 PM

Stop getting me so excited with all these tidbits of updates. D; joaks, o' course
Posted Image

Javan: and stop stabbing people Touhosu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users