• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#1 ratty

ratty

Double rainbow all the way

• Ratty
  • 13343 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 03:19 PM

In the big update, Valve made it not possible to do custom hats and models in a plugin.

The update broke being able to see models attached to other players. So while you can equip hats, only you can see them.

Here is a petition with more details: https://secure.voogr...ition/index.php

I can only speculate on Valve's motives. They are probably trying to set it up so they can eventually start selling hats, and it would undermine that if we had the equipment manager.

#2 Javan

Javan

like a boss

• Scrimmer
  • 2893 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 03:22 PM

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

my texas ten!

Posted Image

;_;

Posted Image

#3 Neh

Neh

Hiya!

• Administrators
  • 3257 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 03:29 PM

oh... snap.
I don't really know what to say to this other than... Really?

Seems like valve wants to be sure to motivate people to buy their promotional deals for fancy hats.. and this is quite stifling to those of us that enjoy working on custom hats and such.

argh

#4 Javan

Javan

like a boss

• Scrimmer
  • 2893 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 03:31 PM

maybe if enough people will "flame" they might show some mercy...

otherwise...how should anyone recognize me anymore, without my hat, if I jump on main again XD damn!

Posted Image

#5 kingddd

kingddd

Dorky Avatar

• Members
  • 9355 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 03:34 PM

I like where this is going :P

yVRxnqJ.png

-------------------------------------------------

Youtube Channel

Steam Community

#6 The Political Gamer

The Political Gamer

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 03:38 PM

I can only speculate on Valve's motives. They are probably trying to set it up so they can eventually start selling hats, and it would undermine that if we had the equipment manager.

I highly doubt that. I think it was because people were using it to get hats they did not have. Valve felt that it was more or less the same as the idler.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 ratty

ratty

• Ratty
  • 13343 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 03:44 PM

Time will show if I'm right, to me it looks the inevitable conclusion of the path they are on. And they are doing it smart, in very small steps, buy the time they just outright SELL hats, there won't be a big backlash since we're already used to them having them as a bonus with other games (Bill hat with L4D2, Sam and Max hat).

I think they look at this and just drool.

http://www.mmocrunch...-virtual-mount/

#8 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 03:55 PM

Damn Valve, this is a dick move.
"Bonking through the gate is like attempted murder. It doesn't matter if you hit anyone, the point is that you still need to get kicked." - celestial_okami
Posted Image | Posted Image | Posted Image | Posted Image
Need any mapping help? Click here!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click here for my backpack!

#9 ratty

ratty

• Ratty
  • 13343 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 04:00 PM

I expect they'll still do more to meet us in the middle. They did that stuff to allow prophunt, maybe they'll allow NEW hats to be added, without enabling Valve hats on every player. Hey, I can hope.

#10 William Dogood

William Dogood

I post a lot!

• Administrators
  • 5771 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 04:44 PM

Obligatory post detailing slippery slope argument.

William Dogood: No...not the juice!

M31: That's not what Hitler said.

esiObC2.gif

#11 ratty

ratty

• Ratty
  • 13343 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 04:56 PM

I'm shocked, you agree? :)

#12 William Dogood

William Dogood

I post a lot!

• Administrators
  • 5771 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 05:15 PM

Sorta I suppose. I understand the slippery slope argument, and I agree that it could potentially become a problem. It's kinda the same situation that's going on with Blizzard right now too, with them selling pets, and now a Mount for WoW. As long as it remains stuff that doesn't have any real impact on gameplay, I really don't care too much. If it migrates into the area of gameplay advantage, then it's a problem.

But I can't really see blocking the equipment manager in a negative light. It's definitely a shame that custom skins and hats are gone, no doubt about that. But if the equipment manager was giving access to promotional items that people shouldn't have, then I really can't blame Valve for wanting to protect their property any more then I can blame any game developer for wanting to protect theirs with DRM.

But yes, if this is just a path that will lead them into selling other stuff, then it could become a problem. But as you said Ratty, only time will tell.

William Dogood: No...not the juice!

M31: That's not what Hitler said.

esiObC2.gif

#13 Jason

Jason

I'm so fly

• Scrimmer
  • 2214 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 05:23 PM

it's not just equipment manager that was affected

apparently this also stops unlockables from being rendered in SourceTV and (possibly?) playerside demos.

Yeah sourceTV already didn't render it from firstperson, but it doesn't work in thirdperson now either.

plus you can see all the other stuff effected if you read the petition

#14 Thaurian

Thaurian

Manual included

• Members
  • 1604 posts
  • Minecraft:Thaurian
  • Medic

Posted May 04 2010 - 05:24 PM

Hats with stats ):
Goddamn cat.
TF2 Backpack

#15 elwood

elwood

"We are the dead!" (Hope rides alone)

• Members
  • 923 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 05:30 PM

All I can say is that I don't wanna buy anything else from Steam store other than the Team Fortress 2 I payed for.

No promotional items, no cosmetic badges, just various guns and classes caught in a battle between control points.

#16 Rat with a Rifle

Rat with a Rifle

I post a lot!

• Members
  • 941 posts
  • Heavy

Posted May 04 2010 - 05:35 PM

Valve seems like it'd lose a-lot more than they'd gain from doing that, though. Maybe I'm just being nearsighted. But, you do have a good point with the L4D2/Sam'n'Max hats. I just hope Valve doesn't change their (arguably) great track record with it's fanbase.
It doesn't matter how far apart we are. The bonds we've made will remain strong. Everyone's heart is connected to the people they know and trust. It's those bonds that let us all search for our purpose in life. As-long as it's a purpose you believe in, there will always be someone who can help you fulfill it. You, me, and everyone else. There are no barriers.

Our hearts are one.
Posted Image

#17 strangemodule

strangemodule

Ask me about Map Making!

• Scrimmer
  • 2975 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 05:37 PM

Valve seems like it'd lose a-lot more than they'd gain from doing that, though. Maybe I'm just being nearsighted. But, you do have a good point with the L4D2/Sam'n'Max hats. I just hope Valve doesn't change their (arguably) great track record with it's fanbase.

[optimism mode]

Seeing how they made points to help out Prophunt due to their meddling, they seem to just want to shut Equipment Manager down, which I guess I can see a point in doing. If Valve is as nice as we think they are, they'll do their best to restore mods that got messed up by this update, maybe even let us use an Equipment Manager that will let us wear server-exclusive hats.

[/optimism mode]
"Bonking through the gate is like attempted murder. It doesn't matter if you hit anyone, the point is that you still need to get kicked." - celestial_okami
Posted Image | Posted Image | Posted Image | Posted Image
Need any mapping help? Click here!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click here for my backpack!

#18 Smyther

Smyther

Certified youtube browser.

• Scrimmer
  • 2493 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 10:46 PM

All I can say is that I don't wanna buy anything else from Steam store other than the Team Fortress 2 I payed for.

No promotional items, no cosmetic badges, just various guns and classes caught in a battle between control points.

Agreed. :(
Capt. Yoshika Miyako: yarrr let's conqeur mexico

Iz so!~ [SWF2]: I'm teaching my friend how to play touhou
Sentry Gun (HatTheTurtle): Have you told them to roll their face across the keyboard yet?

#19 voogru

voogru

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 10:50 PM

[optimism mode]

Seeing how they made points to help out Prophunt due to their meddling, they seem to just want to shut Equipment Manager down, which I guess I can see a point in doing. If Valve is as nice as we think they are, they'll do their best to restore mods that got messed up by this update, maybe even let us use an Equipment Manager that will let us wear server-exclusive hats.

[/optimism mode]

What I'd really would like them to do, is to setup their system to only protect the content they want to protect, and allow everything else. This way they have their goal of blocking unauthorized use of official or promotional content, while at the same time allowing custom content through. Everybody wins this way, and it's really the only solution that will be a win-win for everybody.

I have no objections to them trying to protect their content from unauthorized use. Just please don't block everything in the process.

Thanks for all of the support on this issue.

#20 Charlatan

Charlatan

Trickster

• Scrimmer
  • 534 posts

Posted May 05 2010 - 12:40 AM

I really, REALLY hope they won't start selling hats.

I dunno but it seems like a very desperate and very Un-Valve-like thing to do. Also spending money on virtual things that you are never going to have any use of just rubs me the wrong way =/ I'd lose a lot of respect for Valve, but maybe I'm just petty.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users