Sign in to follow this  
ratty

Farewell To Custom Hats/skins

In the big update, Valve made it not possible to do custom hats and models in a plugin.

The update broke being able to see models attached to other players. So while you can equip hats, only you can see them.

Here is a petition with more details: https://secure.voogru.com/petition/index.php

I can only speculate on Valve's motives. They are probably trying to set it up so they can eventually start selling hats, and it would undermine that if we had the equipment manager.

oh... snap.

I don't really know what to say to this other than... Really?

Seems like valve wants to be sure to motivate people to buy their promotional deals for fancy hats.. and this is quite stifling to those of us that enjoy working on custom hats and such.

argh

maybe if enough people will "flame" they might show some mercy...

otherwise...how should anyone recognize me anymore, without my hat, if I jump on main again XD damn!

I can only speculate on Valve's motives. They are probably trying to set it up so they can eventually start selling hats, and it would undermine that if we had the equipment manager.

I highly doubt that. I think it was because people were using it to get hats they did not have. Valve felt that it was more or less the same as the idler.

Time will show if I'm right, to me it looks the inevitable conclusion of the path they are on. And they are doing it smart, in very small steps, buy the time they just outright SELL hats, there won't be a big backlash since we're already used to them having them as a bonus with other games (Bill hat with L4D2, Sam and Max hat).

I think they look at this and just drool.

http://www.mmocrunch.com/2010/04/21/blizzard-making-2-5-million-per-hour-on-virtual-mount/

I expect they'll still do more to meet us in the middle. They did that stuff to allow prophunt, maybe they'll allow NEW hats to be added, without enabling Valve hats on every player. Hey, I can hope.

Sorta I suppose. I understand the slippery slope argument, and I agree that it could potentially become a problem. It's kinda the same situation that's going on with Blizzard right now too, with them selling pets, and now a Mount for WoW. As long as it remains stuff that doesn't have any real impact on gameplay, I really don't care too much. If it migrates into the area of gameplay advantage, then it's a problem.

But I can't really see blocking the equipment manager in a negative light. It's definitely a shame that custom skins and hats are gone, no doubt about that. But if the equipment manager was giving access to promotional items that people shouldn't have, then I really can't blame Valve for wanting to protect their property any more then I can blame any game developer for wanting to protect theirs with DRM.

But yes, if this is just a path that will lead them into selling other stuff, then it could become a problem. But as you said Ratty, only time will tell.

it's not just equipment manager that was affected

apparently this also stops unlockables from being rendered in SourceTV and (possibly?) playerside demos.

Yeah sourceTV already didn't render it from firstperson, but it doesn't work in thirdperson now either.

plus you can see all the other stuff effected if you read the petition

All I can say is that I don't wanna buy anything else from Steam store other than the Team Fortress 2 I payed for.

No promotional items, no cosmetic badges, just various guns and classes caught in a battle between control points.

Valve seems like it'd lose a-lot more than they'd gain from doing that, though. Maybe I'm just being nearsighted. But, you do have a good point with the L4D2/Sam'n'Max hats. I just hope Valve doesn't change their (arguably) great track record with it's fanbase.

Valve seems like it'd lose a-lot more than they'd gain from doing that, though. Maybe I'm just being nearsighted. But, you do have a good point with the L4D2/Sam'n'Max hats. I just hope Valve doesn't change their (arguably) great track record with it's fanbase.

[optimism mode]

Seeing how they made points to help out Prophunt due to their meddling, they seem to just want to shut Equipment Manager down, which I guess I can see a point in doing. If Valve is as nice as we think they are, they'll do their best to restore mods that got messed up by this update, maybe even let us use an Equipment Manager that will let us wear server-exclusive hats.

[/optimism mode]

All I can say is that I don't wanna buy anything else from Steam store other than the Team Fortress 2 I payed for.

No promotional items, no cosmetic badges, just various guns and classes caught in a battle between control points.

Agreed. :(

[optimism mode]

Seeing how they made points to help out Prophunt due to their meddling, they seem to just want to shut Equipment Manager down, which I guess I can see a point in doing. If Valve is as nice as we think they are, they'll do their best to restore mods that got messed up by this update, maybe even let us use an Equipment Manager that will let us wear server-exclusive hats.

[/optimism mode]

What I'd really would like them to do, is to setup their system to only protect the content they want to protect, and allow everything else. This way they have their goal of blocking unauthorized use of official or promotional content, while at the same time allowing custom content through. Everybody wins this way, and it's really the only solution that will be a win-win for everybody.

I have no objections to them trying to protect their content from unauthorized use. Just please don't block everything in the process.

Thanks for all of the support on this issue.

I really, REALLY hope they won't start selling hats.

I dunno but it seems like a very desperate and very Un-Valve-like thing to do. Also spending money on virtual things that you are never going to have any use of just rubs me the wrong way =/ I'd lose a lot of respect for Valve, but maybe I'm just petty.

To be honest, it'll totally be a dick move if Valve does go for the "Buy-Games-For-New-Hats" approach.

Personally, I don't see the point of it either. If there's one thing that MAY justify that sort of act is for promotional purposes. Even that, by going with the said approach, TF2 players whom are desperate for hats will rage their asses off, and will make it look as if Valve is forcing them to buy the stated games to get hats.

Seriously, I know people are already working on crafting and random drops to get hats. That's basically more than enough burden to get them. But by going with said approach would just be rubbing it in. At least spare the equipment manager, it's not like it permanently give hats to players.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm hoping this is all just a side effect of some cloud inventory verification system that can be either be fixed or be provided with an alternate system for community mods. I remember seeing all kinds of "Couldn't attach item to some person because it wasn't in their inventory" error messages after the update.

If I had to guess what's happening, I would say that most everything still works server side, but it's extra client side verification that's screwing everything up. That's why you can see em hats equipped on yourself, but not em hats on other people. The hats failed the check against their inventories and were being rejected by your client, whereas the hats you're wearing weren't checked against your inventory and were displayed.

I really, REALLY hope they won't start selling hats.

I dunno but it seems like a very desperate and very Un-Valve-like thing to do. Also spending money on virtual things that you are never going to have any use of just rubs me the wrong way =/ I'd lose a lot of respect for Valve, but maybe I'm just petty.

I don't really have a problem with them selling hats, they might do it as a proof of concept. If the hats don't do anything gameplay wise and are just pretty, and players want to spend money on them, more power to them.

And if they want to protect that content from being used without authorization, that's fine with me. The players are in control of their wallets. If they think a hat is worth a few bucks to them, then it's worth a few bucks.

But, like before, don't cripple legitimate functionality over it.

I'm hoping this is all just a side effect of some cloud inventory verification system that can be either be fixed or be provided with an alternate system for community mods. I remember seeing all kinds of "Couldn't attach item to some person because it wasn't in their inventory" error messages after the update.

If I had to guess what's happening, I would say that most everything still works server side, but it's extra client side verification that's screwing everything up. That's why you can see em hats equipped on yourself, but not em hats on other people. The hats failed the check against their inventories and were being rejected by your client, whereas the hats you're wearing weren't checked against your inventory and were displayed.

If this was the case, when attaching other entities that are not wearable entities, they'd be visible. They are intentionally disabling this, thats why PropHunt broke.