• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#41 ratty

ratty

Double rainbow all the way

• Ratty
  • 13343 posts

Posted May 05 2010 - 08:22 PM

There are many threads here where we speculate, as long as its prefaced with "there is no proof of this", I don't mind. Its actually fun trying to guess, then later you can see if you were right.
So I guess I'm not sure what your point is. Just continue coming up with theories like the rest of us, and I'm sure we'll all post a link to any facts if we can find any. I'd really like to see a statement from Valve about this, then we can all stop wondering.

#42 RickDaedalus

RickDaedalus

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted May 05 2010 - 08:43 PM

My point was that everyone shouldn't really worry because there's very little known. Jumping to conclusions will happen, but it's not a reason to start being disappointed with Valve because we were going around their drop and crafting systems. What we should begin to be disappointed about is how their update broke all the other fun silly mods while also trying to help to create a way to keep those mods working while letting them nuke the manager if it comes down to it.

Anyway, I'm fresh out of ideas so I guess I'll just wait and see what other people come up with.

#43 voogru

voogru

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 05:24 PM

Heres why this policy is fail: http://www.h4x.me/im...f_2fort0006.jpg

It's still possible to do exactly what they were trying to prevent, the only trouble is, it's useless for weapons. But hats? No problem. It's got some kinks in it (one of which can be fixed, although a little ugly code-wise but not crippling).

Not only that, but I'm the only one that knows of the workaround. I can put hats on my server, screw the rest of the community, and I've got a monopoly until someone else figures it out, and this is quite tricky to do.

#44 ratty

ratty

• Ratty
  • 13343 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 05:57 PM

This reminds me of the 32-player situation. It was a cycle of starting out exclusive, then someone publishes it, valve blocks it from working, and repeat until Valve gives up an just marks your server as "customized".

#45 Phosphatide

Phosphatide

UUUUUU

• Members
  • 3522 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 06:35 PM

Jumped online to see what the medals looked like, noticed the Heavy Bear model is gone even though the files are still there.

Is this what you guys meant?

#46 FlippyWarbear

FlippyWarbear

Grumpy Finn

• Members
  • 338 posts
  • Soldier, Engineer, Sniper

Posted May 07 2010 - 04:08 AM

While the customized models were always a fun thing to see, I cant say I'll really miss them. I never had any interest towards hats or so (admitted I do wear them once I get one). But I never bothered with the customized content which for example nom-nom-nom provided on their server(s). I am just a vanilla n00b I guess who is satisfied with stock content when it comes to such cosmetic little things. :)

However, I too think that this is just Valve's move in order to start making moulah out of hats that you can get only by paying cold hard cash. They've propably looked at how easy they can sheep people like Blizzard does with World of Warcraft's pets and mounts. People who truly want them are ready to pay for them and this floats game companies way just nicely. :-/

Even thought I never bothered with hats, no official or customised ones, I do have to line up with those who are against this change. We'll see what happens. They should just make the regular hats easier to get if they are going to go along with closing the modding capability of such content from their players and IF they actually start to sell their own hats. Some of us, myself included, only has one or two hats (lets not count halo, gibus, bill's hat or such), it would be quite harsh if those who refuse to pay would have as shit chance to get hats as it is right now when those who are sell-outs just push cash into Valve's pockets just to get some bling.

EDIT: Not that I'd be entirely surprised that Valve would start this. After all, we saw what happened with Left 4 Dead franchise...

#47 William Dogood

William Dogood

I post a lot!

• Administrators
  • 5771 posts

Posted May 07 2010 - 11:14 PM

I was really.....REALLY hoping that no one would bring up Left 4 Dead.

William Dogood: No...not the juice!

M31: That's not what Hitler said.

esiObC2.gif

#48 ratty

ratty

• Ratty
  • 13343 posts

Posted May 08 2010 - 02:11 AM

I know, right? Lots of people still play L4D1 now. Oh wait..

#49 Beehive

Beehive

Hola

• Scrimmer
  • 2829 posts
  • Minecraft:Beehive
  • Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demoman, Heavy, Engineer, Sniper, Medic, Spy

Posted May 09 2010 - 07:18 AM

My hats ... my sweet sweet hats, they gone ;~;
Axel: I saw beehive and I thought I was saved
Axel: And then I remembered
Axel: it's beehive

Beehive: does it mean the cool swedish people live in gothenburg?
Zeta: no, they live in ezgudforyouburg

#50 CosmeIV

CosmeIV

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted May 09 2010 - 11:49 AM

Never saw those hats, maybe a fox tail on a medic.

#51 voogru

voogru

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted May 09 2010 - 12:46 PM

Theres an update, http://forums.allied...ad.php?t=125721

#52 ratty

ratty

• Ratty
  • 13343 posts

Posted May 09 2010 - 02:53 PM

That's really cool.
Ideally though, Valve should just meet you halfway and add some kind of hook, and they could do the validation that its not a Valve made attachment.

#53 Ager

Ager

Shitposter extraordinaire

• Scrimmer
  • 6261 posts
  • Medic

Posted May 09 2010 - 11:49 PM

I don't care if Valve starts selling hats. TF2 is their testing ground for new marketing ideas, they've admitted it.

IMHO, I think the TF2 team is smart enough to only sell items with no impact to gameplay.
Dice pulled a dick-move a while ago with Battlefield Heroes, by selling weapons superior to those avaliable for free in-game. Needless to say, loads people were pissed and quit the game.
Methinks Gabe and the TF2 team are a wee bit smarter than that.

#54 William Dogood

William Dogood

I post a lot!

• Administrators
  • 5771 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 12:02 AM

It's not really a dick move considering that's how they had intended to bring in profit from the beginning. It's just like any other F2P market available, you pay to get ahead, it's nothing new, and that was the whole idea since development.

esiObC2.gif

#55 ratty

ratty

• Ratty
  • 13343 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 12:20 AM

Yeah at least there was no deception on what BFH was about, no bad blood there.
A total haves and have-nots kind of game, and they were going to make all their money on the people that want to be in the haves group. I guess it works in so many other circles (hello, the whole fashion and jewelry industry), all we can do is make it clear where the line is, at least for ourselves.

I'm in TF2 until they cross the line of giving an in game advantage to people that either buy outright from the valve store, or given as a gift when you buy another product. So far they are 100% frill items, and will probably stay that way, but if they ever cross that line, I'm out. Hopefully if that day that should never come, actually does come, you all won't just play along.
I had a recent rude awakening in the WoW world, absolutely nobody else but me had a problem with Blizzard selling mounts, a useful item that you normally have to buy with gold per character, not a cute pet or anything, but something that gives you advantage in the game. Every character you ever create gets this mount, and it scales, so its very handy. Literally everyone just played along, and I got into a few flamewars over it, and gave up when I saw I was alone. But hopefully TF2 players are smarter than to allow Valve to cross that line. If you're the type that buys new trendy clothes all the time to impress people, then you'll have no idea how this is a bad thing. :)

#56 William Dogood

William Dogood

I post a lot!

• Administrators
  • 5771 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 12:30 AM

Mounts aren't really an advantage in WoW either. Although it's kinda pushing it. Basically you just choose to pay 25 dollars to skip out on having to pay 161 gold over the course of a character from 1 to 80. Maybe back before the expansions that would have been a big deal, but Mount price these days is pocket change for EVERYONE.

I have no intention of buying the Mount myself, and in fact, I feel pretty sorry for anyone who is spending that kind of money to skip out on literally 30 minutes of work at level 80.

Sure, it can be called an advantage, it technically is, but it's about the minorist of minor advantages one can possibly get in World of Warcraft. 25 bucks will get you about 6000 in gold these days, that would pay for Mounts on nearly 40 characters. Buying that 25$ Mount is just a waste of fucking money.

esiObC2.gif

#57 ratty

ratty

• Ratty
  • 13343 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 01:57 AM

I think I see some of your misunderstanding of me now, yes, of course it could be worse, it could be armor or a buff item, but there is a line between a cute useless thing, and actual useful items. If you don't agree that utility, no matter how small, is where the line should be drawn on paid for items, then we simply disagree on where that line is, and there's no point in discussing it.

#58 Smyther

Smyther

Certified youtube browser.

• Scrimmer
  • 2493 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 02:13 AM

Although there is the point that people paid money to have these TF2 frills, only to find on some servers would've let them have them for free. As well as that discouraging people to take up valves promotional deals, that's probably what one of their reasonings behind the ban was.
Capt. Yoshika Miyako: yarrr let's conqeur mexico

Iz so!~ [SWF2]: I'm teaching my friend how to play touhou
Sentry Gun (HatTheTurtle): Have you told them to roll their face across the keyboard yet?

#59 William Dogood

William Dogood

I post a lot!

• Administrators
  • 5771 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 02:22 AM

I kinda gathered from the initial post Ratty that you were more worried that the Mount had actual utility, and less about what Blizzard selling utility items could represent.

So yeah, we're basically just back to the slippery slope argument that's already been covered.

esiObC2.gif

#60 ratty

ratty

• Ratty
  • 13343 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 02:39 AM

Although there is the point that people paid money to have these TF2 frills, only to find on some servers would've let them have them for free. As well as that discouraging people to take up valves promotional deals, that's probably what one of their reasonings behind the ban was.

I hadn't thought of that aspect, the Bill hat was still at least in house. We're speculating still, but the Sam and Max stuff was probably paid for, or at least was part of some deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users