Sign in to follow this  
M31

Post Your Random Thoughts

Fuuuck, it's gotta be the coldest night of the year that my heat goes out, huh?

It's -8 fahrenheit/-22 celsius outside. I don't have enough blankets to keep warm in this shit. Brr.

At least the cats seemed okay with it.

Apparently Agro, the horse from Shadow of the Colossus, was designed to be like a normal horse in terms of movement and behavior. Animations, sure, I can buy that, those were pretty sweet. But she handled exactly like any other generic video game horse: went where she was directed, wouldn't run off cliffs, would keep going while you were attacking from horseback, would turn some if you were craning in one direction or another while you were attacking, etc.

The only thing that really comes to mind as being like a normal horse is that she would run around when you were fighting a colossus. However, when I consider that usually meant running around blindly under a colossus that would realistically step on her, it doesn't feel that normal or revolutionary.

Eh.

I thought Zootopia was overhyped, people were going nuts and watching it multiple times in theaters. I thought there was no way it was that good...

Boy was I ever wrong. Fantastic fucking movie. Good job, yet again, Disney.

YouTube's recommendation algorithm has a sense of humor. I've been watching a lot of the Daily Show, Stephen Colbert and various other similar things recently. Today the algorithm recommended a Whose Line sketch about the world's worst person to be president.

Heh.

Looking strictly from the gameplay and Jim Sterling videos, Dead Rising 4 looks like a toned-down version of the original Dead Rising with less detail.

And yet, I would still look forward to playing THAT than the original garbage everyone called a 'masterpiece'. There are definitely games I would consider 'worse', but I can't think of a game that frustrated or annoyed me more than the first Dead Rising. It was like all the best videogame ideas put into the game combined with all of the worst ones.

Holy shit, hot sauce on pizza is amazing. Why haven't I tried this before?

This completely changes my outlook on life.

It's kind of like that time that truck hit me; everything slows down, you see it coming, but there's nothing you can do to stop it.

Ugh. I need a fucking hug or something.

I'm not a drinker, but maybe I should have picked up a bottle of wine earlier. Might make this easier to take. Being drunk for 4 years can't possibly have any negative affects... right?

usa-trump-inauguration.jpg

On the left, Trump's day. On the right, Obama's.

Now there's talk that the women's march that happened the next day attracted more people than the inauguration itself. I really hope they gathered on the mall and got a similar photo for comparison. That would be a beautiful thing...

Playing the Civilization series for the first time, specifically Civilization V which was gifted to me like a year ago. Got to be honest, it made my head hurt to the extreme. Anyone played the game? I'm gonna need some tips, because that tutorial was only halfway useful, basically expecting you already know how to do common actions.

I know how to build and expand and make civilization-related things happen... and yet I still have no idea what gathering food actually does, what production actually does, how much production I currently have (it's not on my resources list on the top left), and why on certain cities production takes 40 turns when on other cities it only takes 7.

Playing the Civilization series for the first time, specifically Civilization V which was gifted to me like a year ago. Got to be honest, it made my head hurt to the extreme. Anyone played the game? I'm gonna need some tips, because that tutorial was only halfway useful, basically expecting you already know how to do common actions.

I know how to build and expand and make civilization-related things happen... and yet I still have no idea what gathering food actually does, what production actually does, how much production I currently have (it's not on my resources list on the top left), and why on certain cities production takes 40 turns when on other cities it only takes 7.

Watch a tutorial, i recommend this guy as he is one of the better players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3x3P8gsCFA

Food, and production is only applicable for the city collecting it.

Gold and other things are Civilization wide.

Food will expand population, each person needs 2 food per turn, so if you have a city of 5 producing 14 food per turn, you will have plus 4 food per turn which will work towards a new population. Which will require a certain amount of food, this increases exponentially. 

Production is only for that city, hence some cities build stuff quicker. It just works like that, more production means build quicker.

As a rule of thumb, try to build cities by a river, and to have 2 or so units per city. 

I could go further in, but it probably needs its own thread. Or just ask me on steam.

Half assed a carbink SOS chain. Maybe 50 in, I got a shiny. Adamant nature, 4/6 IVs, clear body. Had to settle with a dive ball instead of a heavy ball but hey, not bad for an hour or two's work.

Before getting hired

"I wanna work"

After getting hired

"I wanna work"

Just try and learn something when you have nothing to do. 

And then don't learn it, like i've been doing for the past 6 months.

Also March 11th, Jack is back.

Watch a tutorial, i recommend this guy as he is one of the better players.

Food, and production is only applicable for the city collecting it.

Gold and other things are Civilization wide.

Food will expand population, each person needs 2 food per turn, so if you have a city of 5 producing 14 food per turn, you will have plus 4 food per turn which will work towards a new population. Which will require a certain amount of food, this increases exponentially. 

Production is only for that city, hence some cities build stuff quicker. It just works like that, more production means build quicker.

As a rule of thumb, try to build cities by a river, and to have 2 or so units per city. 

I could go further in, but it probably needs its own thread. Or just ask me on steam.

Watched through the whole series (long though it was). Thanks for the tips! Took me a few tries to get all of it into practice, but I finally had a game down (though at low difficulty).

The in-game tutorial is probably like the WORST tutorial in a videogame I've encountered. Every terminology and advice it gives is in a language I can understand and is technically all correct... but without context, none of the information it gives despite being coherent sentences mean anything coherent for someone who has never played a Civ game before.

I  got D.va's new year skin. Now  I just have to get at least one of Mei's.

If I don't I may literally die.

Watched through the whole series (long though it was). Thanks for the tips! Took me a few tries to get all of it into practice, but I finally had a game down (though at low difficulty).

The in-game tutorial is probably like the WORST tutorial in a videogame I've encountered. Every terminology and advice it gives is in a language I can understand and is technically all correct... but without context, none of the information it gives despite being coherent sentences mean anything coherent for someone who has never played a Civ game before.

oh yeah right clicking things will bring up the civlopedia, so best looking through that if you want to go down a trail of info.

Just try and learn something when you have nothing to do. 

And then don't learn it, like i've been doing for the past 6 months.

Also March 11th, Jack is back.

I would work on my school papers at work but they block pretty much every website on the network. They do give employees free access to skillsoft, so maybe I'll look at some of that shit. It's a shame 'cause I like the work atmosphere/environment, and they give me a lot of flexibility with work hours (let me come in whenever, have lunch whenever, leave early if work is done), but, uh, I've been doing nothing for 3 weeks now

Don't try to change directory ownership when trying to grab files off another person's hard drive.

Symbolic links make things worse.

Finally took the time to figure out why .NET 4.6 was always failing to install and Windows Update would always be installing that one update on shutdown.