Sign in to follow this  
ratty

Maxplayers Changes

If its being implied less players overall is a bad thing, I don't agree.

I don't want to run a huge community, it would make me miserable if we were this sea of people that don't know each other like facepunch.

Now if I was paid for this, things would be very different!

I think we're a good size. If I can keep a single server full all the time, then I'm happy. I just want it where if I'm in the mood for some TF2, I can join my server and have it be mostly people I recognize, and that know each other.

Tbh, I always found it odd that main had basically no regulars when I started playing on nom fairly often. Even without knowing about the forums I quickly started playing on eggs simply because of recognisable names. Its just more fun that way when it isn't with a bunch of completely random people.

Not to mention I like smaller player counts too. Dunno about wait times though, haven't been able to get on TF2 since the 'shift'. Usually for me it was about 15 minutes or so. I would just go play on an arena server because I haven't seen arena played on nom (yet), so I get my fill while waiting for a slot.

I don't want to run a huge community.

That's the thing most people don't get.

Ratty isn't getting paid for all of this, he enjoys doing this on his spare time. Nom is about being a small community, and getting together, instead of becoming a typical sever where nobody really knows anyone.

I haven't seen arena played on nom (yet), so I get my fill while waiting for a slot.

Before when it was a 30 slot server we wouldn't have arena, though on eggs when it was 16 we would get arena sometimes when an admin was on.

But it doesn't happen that often.

If its being implied less players overall is a bad thing, I don't agree.

I don't want to run a huge community, it would make me miserable if we were this sea of people that don't know each other like facepunch.

Now if I was paid for this, things would be very different!

I think we're a good size. If I can keep a single server full all the time, then I'm happy. I just want it where if I'm in the mood for some TF2, I can join my server and have it be mostly people I recognize, and that know each other.

This player count change is actually coming at a convenient time. Almost every under 18 year-old went back to school last week and many over 18's are going back to college/uni now or soon, so the servers were going to become emptier for most of the day.

Also, I'm of the opinion that nom needs an outlet. Not everyone who comes to nom prefers the kind of server it is (or at least used to be). Some like crits, some like arena, some hate Frontier, yet rather than go play on a server who's gameplay they'd enjoy more, they play on nom, because that where everyone they know is; that's where everyone knows their name. FBP started as a group of PCG (pg gamer magazine) regulars who got board of PCG yet still wanted to play with each other. PCG is about as vanilla as you can get; little moderation, crits, static rotation full of sawmill & goldrush, most bad players or no teamwork, etc. They all wanted to play with each other, so they started their own server and ran it how they wanted to play TF2 (serious, teamwork-filled play), so now most of them play on PCG whenever they want to go pubbing together, and their own server when that gets frustrating.

IMO nom needs something like that, a child community so when the people who get tired of nom's shenanigans sometimes or when the server are full of people they don't know, they have somewhere else they can go and still know everyone.

well smyther, we do have quite a few nommers who lobby from time to time, you an usually hit them up and start a lobby if you want some serious play

well smyther, we do have quite a few nommers who lobby from time to time, you an usually hit them up and start a lobby if you want some serious play

I'm good for serious play. ETF2L is enough for me. I was actually thinking about all the people who've made the countless rants about poor players, lack of teamwork or some gripe with the general state of the servers.

Well you can certainly say this is a divisive issue to say the least. After a few days to play with it I still think changing main into a quasi-scrim server is the wrong move. Main should be the gateway server and the more niche should remain bacon / eggs where they always were.

Now obviously I really only play one class (omg nerf DR qq), and since it isn't one of the scrim loadout powerhouses, that skews my opnion somewhat. I'd probably love the hell out of this if all I played was heavy / soldier.

Can't believe I'm just now reading this post. Haven't been on tf2 in a couple days. I mean I think the changes are fine but it seems that bacon and eggs will be more of a main than the main just cause more people will play on it. Also its a little harder for people without reserved slots to get in but since there is 3 servers that shouldn't be much of a problem...right? :o

Also since main is only 16 slots I know that with reserved slots it can go above 16 (example 17/16) but how high does it actually go? Just wondering.

Okay, so Main is always overfull and Bacon and Eggs are always empty.

And... this is apparently better than it used to be.

I seem to be missing something.

Maybe we should add the ip addresses for eggs and bacon to the main page. Right now main is full but eggs and bacon are dead empty. I would guess cause its 4:25 (EST) right now and most people are working or if in a different time zone school maybe.

Maybe we should add the ip addresses for eggs and bacon to the main page. Right now main is full but eggs and bacon are dead empty. I would guess cause its 4:25 (EST) right now and most people are working or if in a different time zone school maybe.

This should be done. Right now Bacon and Eggs are empty, Main is overloaded.

Edit: I couldn't really think of a way of typing something without sounding ungrateful or disappointed when I'm not, so I'll just keep my opinion for when I've seen it all firsthand.

You and me both.

Edit: Just judging by how, on a Saturday, both Bacon and Eggs are empty while main is overloaded that this isn't working as what people intended or expected. Most people only know Main, they don't know the other two servers.

Also since main is only 16 slots I know that with reserved slots it can go above 16 (example 17/16) but how high does it actually go? Just wondering.

I believe I saw it go up to 26/16, but I may be mistaken.

I thought that the reserved slots worked this way:

Player with no reserved slot enters and occupies a normal slot. Player with reserved slot enters and uses a reserved slot. When reserved slots were filled up, reserved slot players use normal slots. Players with no reserved slots can play even though the server says 16/16 players. Although, on second thought, the system I have described gives off an odor of favoritism. Also, incitement to have too many people on at the same time, and reduces the 'uniqueness' of having a reserved slot.

In the end, it doesn't work that way. Players with reserved slots occupy normal slots first, rather than reserved slots first.

Edit: Just judging by how, on a Saturday, both Bacon and Eggs are empty while main is overloaded that this isn't working as what people intended or expected. Most people only know Main, they don't know the other two servers.

See my last post.

This should be done. Right now Bacon and Eggs are empty, Main is overloaded.

You and me both.

Eggs was full a couple of hours ago when I last checked the server window, the changes have only just been implemented so give it a while for eggs and bacon to get regulars.

Well.... I must say that this change has finally motivated me to be a bigger part of the community (I finally signed up here with the forums). I have been playing on the nom servers for over a year casually now and I really feel like this change really hurts the casual gamer. I was in que for main for about two hours today before I finally had a chance to join, during that time there was absolutely no one on bacon or eggs. I never really liked playing on bacon because it was more of the "joke around" than actually playing tf2 server but now it seems like games don't even get going on there any more. To top that off the cap on main is 16 but I have seen up to 24 people qued up do to reserved slots, which means I'd have to wait for more than 8 people to leave the game before I have a chance at getting in. Could you at least bump it up to 24, or if not that I feel like you need to re-evaluate how many people are handed reserved slots. I really enjoy the nom community and I really don't want to have to go looking for another server to play on but I don't always have two hours to wait around for an open slot. Please, please, please open main back up, dady needs his feel good juice.

Well.... I must say that this change has finally motivated me to be a bigger part of the community (I finally signed up here with the forums). I have been playing on the nom servers for over a year casually now and I really feel like this change really hurts the casual gamer. I was in que for main for about two hours today before I finally had a chance to join, during that time there was absolutely no one on bacon or eggs. I never really liked playing on bacon because it was more of the "joke around" than actually playing tf2 server but now it seems like games don't even get going on there any more. To top that off the cap on main is 16 but I have seen up to 24 people qued up do to reserved slots, which means I'd have to wait for more than 8 people to leave the game before I have a chance at getting in. Could you at least bump it up to 24, or if not that I feel like you need to re-evaluate how many people are handed reserved slots. I really enjoy the nom community and I really don't want to have to go looking for another server to play on but I don't always have two hours to wait around for an open slot. Please, please, please open main back up, dady needs his feel good juice.

You see, the whole point of the change was to make main more for the regulars and reserved slot holders. I quite like the new system, but I haven't checked eggs or bacon out since it's been implemented, though obviously everyone's saying they're empty. Why not just let it settle in for a few more days and then they might fill out? Also, I don't think the intention was to 'force' anyone to become a community member if they didn't want to.

Obviously this was meant to benefit regulars but I don't think it harms the casual nommers.

Main, Eggs, Bacon. I personally don't care about whatever one I am on. If it's a good game with awesome people and friends, I'm cool with it. I do love the smaller amount of player slots, however. Always helps to keep the lag at bay. C:

For those complaining about waiting for 2 hours to get into the main server, realize this. You are not the only one waiting. This means other people see the bacon and eggs server empty, and decide to do nothing about it. Instead of just sitting there with your thumbs up your asses, you join bacon or eggs, there's no harm done, you're still in line to get into main, and people see that one person on bacon or eggs. In those 2 hours, you can get more than enough people into bacon and eggs, I've gotten from 0 to 24 players within half an hour, no problem, and even if no people come, you'll still get into main as soon as a slot is available. There's no real reason to complain

For those complaining about waiting for 2 hours to get into the main server, realize this. You are not the only one waiting. This means other people see the bacon and eggs server empty, and decide to do nothing about it. Instead of just sitting there with your thumbs up your asses, you join bacon or eggs, there's no harm done, you're still in line to get into main, and people see that one person on bacon or eggs. In those 2 hours, you can get more than enough people into bacon and eggs, I've gotten from 0 to 24 players within half an hour, no problem, and even if no people come, you'll still get into main as soon as a slot is available. There's no real reason to complain

Posted Image

yeah this is true, ive did this when we went on bacon, people got to realise the can start a party and not just go to one.