Sign in to follow this  
ratty

Maxplayers Changes

Hang on guys, don't be mean, he's got a point, and I think it deserves an intelligent response.

Well.... I must say that this change has finally motivated me to be a bigger part of the community (I finally signed up here with the forums). I have been playing on the nom servers for over a year casually now and I really feel like this change really hurts the casual gamer. I was in que for main for about two hours today before I finally had a chance to join, during that time there was absolutely no one on bacon or eggs. I never really liked playing on bacon because it was more of the "joke around" than actually playing tf2 server but now it seems like games don't even get going on there any more. To top that off the cap on main is 16 but I have seen up to 24 people qued up do to reserved slots, which means I'd have to wait for more than 8 people to leave the game before I have a chance at getting in. Could you at least bump it up to 24, or if not that I feel like you need to re-evaluate how many people are handed reserved slots. I really enjoy the nom community and I really don't want to have to go looking for another server to play on but I don't always have two hours to wait around for an open slot. Please, please, please open main back up, dady needs his feel good juice.

I hear what you're saying, but in the end this isn't a business. I'm choosing to focus on making a good home for people active on the forums, because it means they care enough to get to know the people they're playing with, and not just only see them in game. I realize I'm shunning a large group, but I'm willing to let them go. They can play on bacon/eggs if they want to play on a near identical server as mine, that's the most I'm willing to do. Casual players aren't doing anything for me, but the regulars that come on and say hi help actually build a community that will last past when TF2 is no longer a relevant game. For example we started up a minecraft server, and its not listed anywhere, there's no server browser for the version we're running, its all word of mouth, and we regularly get 10 or more people on at a time. I would not call any of those casual players. These people will just be around whenever we want to do something fun in anything that resembles an online game.

So I have no animosity towards casual gamers, I'm sure you're a great person, but I'm not going to sacrifice anything to make the people that we only see in game happy at the expense of the those that also get to know us all on the forums.

Hang on guys, don't be mean, he's got a point, and I think it deserves an intelligent response.

I hear what you're saying, but in the end this isn't a business. I'm choosing to focus on making a good home for people active on the forums, because it means they care enough to get to know the people they're playing with, and not just only see them in game. I realize I'm shunning a large group, but I'm willing to let them go. They can play on bacon/eggs if they want to play on a near identical server as mine, that's the most I'm willing to do. Casual players aren't doing anything for me, but the regulars that come on and say hi help actually build a community that will last past when TF2 is no longer a relevant game. For example we started up a minecraft server, and its not listed anywhere, there's no server browser for the version we're running, its all word of mouth, and we regularly get 10 or more people on at a time. I would not call any of those casual players. These people will just be around whenever we want to do something fun in anything that resembles an online game.

So I have no animosity towards casual gamers, I'm sure you're a great person, but I'm not going to sacrifice anything to make the people that we only see in game happy at the expense of the those that also get to know us all on the forums.

You know, maybe I jumped the gun a little on my initial post, but I made the post knowing that I wasn't the only one out there thinking it. I completely understand what your saying Ratty, at the same time I've always considered myself to be a part of the nom community and I felt like I was able to establish those friendships and relationships through the game. Me personally, I've never been much of a forums kind of guy but I want you to know that what you've got here with the nom servers means enough to me to motivate me to be a more active member. To be honest I've been meaning to get onto these things for a long time now and finally had the excuse to do it. Until this week I hadn't signed onto any other server for about six months and I've been happy about that. I don't want to lose out on that same community your trying to preserve. All I'm saying is sign me up, don't write me off.

You know, maybe I jumped the gun a little on my initial post, but I made the post knowing that I wasn't the only one out there thinking it. I completely understand what your saying Ratty, at the same time I've always considered myself to be a part of the nom community and I felt like I was able to establish those friendships and relationships through the game. Me personally, I've never been much of a forums kind of guy but I want you to know that what you've got here with the nom servers means enough to me to motivate me to be a more active member. To be honest I've been meaning to get onto these things for a long time now and finally had the excuse to do it. Until this week I hadn't signed onto any other server for about six months and I've been happy about that. I don't want to lose out on that same community your trying to preserve. All I'm saying is sign me up, don't write me off.

Glad you brought it up instead of me. That's how I've been feeling about this change.

After this week, I completely love the new main. I love the smaller games which keeps it from being a total spamfest so I can actually play scout and not get caught in a heavy rush. The balanced gameplay returns! I love not getting as much lag as much as I used to. I know some admins and friend stayed at main because eggs was too clique-ish so it's nice to play with them again.

Also if you can't get in, do join eggs or bacon. Message your friends. If you have two people on a server, others will quickly join.

After this week, I completely love the new main. I love the smaller games which keeps it from being a total spamfest so I can actually play scout and not get caught in a heavy rush. The balanced gameplay returns! I love not getting as much lag as much as I used to. I know some admins and friend stayed at main because eggs was too clique-ish so it's nice to play with them again.

Also if you can't get in, do join eggs or bacon. Message your friends. If you have two people on a server, others will quickly join.

Yep. I was happy to get on Main a bit ago and play for an hour. But I'll sit on Bacon or Eggs while waiting, hoping more people join. Things built up before I joined Main.

Do you message people to join you? While it's nice to use main as a provided community, it is necessary to be proactive sometimes.

Before eggs start being full all the time this summer, it was empty during the daytime. Since I used to not be able to play on main, I would message a friend and say, "Go to eggs. We'll scout duel until people get here." And people would trickle in. But yeah one player isn't going to draw people as much.

Hooray, it's now near impossible to get on the server all my friends play on.

I have somewhat changed my mind. Main is okay, but people not playing on eggs or bacon too can be a little sad sometimes because I know there's a lot of people in nom. I'd like to think that while main is the 'prime' server, eggs and bacon should be the copious overflow.

Do you message people to join you? While it's nice to use main as a provided community, it is necessary to be proactive sometimes.

Before eggs start being full all the time this summer, it was empty during the daytime. Since I used to not be able to play on main, I would message a friend and say, "Go to eggs. We'll scout duel until people get here." And people would trickle in. But yeah one player isn't going to draw people as much.

Don't have many people on my friends list. Posted Image

I have somewhat changed my mind. Main is okay, but people not playing on eggs or bacon too can be a little sad sometimes because I know there's a lot of people in nom. I'd like to think that while main is the 'prime' server, eggs and bacon should be the copious overflow.

The way I look at it is I join bacon and eggs when trying to get into main. I'll play rounds there until a spot opens up on main.

Playing main with all the regular is so good :).

But i got to wait 3 hours yesterday on Auto-Retry to play o_O.

And seriously i never understand why Bacon is sooo empty.

Main is alright, im torn because 16 is slightly more balanced in a sense. Though in a 16p server, one person not playing well can bring a team down way too much in that regard, stacking has larger effects on a lower playercount server so I kinda prefer 24 more. My only REAL thing that i disliked was the wait time on main, most times i wanna play I would be waiting for hours on auto-retry...I play less nowadays and the majority of it taking up on wait or on wait while playing on some other lame server thats not nom.

I caught Bacon with 20+ last night, I had a blast. But then after one round for some reason the bulk of the players left and it became 4v4 or somethin like that.

Main is alright, im torn because 16 is slightly more balanced in a sense. Though in a 16p server, one person not playing well can bring a team down way too much in that regard, stacking has larger effects on a lower playercount server so I kinda prefer 24 more. My only REAL thing that i disliked was the wait time on main, most times i wanna play I would be waiting for hours on auto-retry...I play less nowadays and the majority of it taking up on wait or on wait while playing on some other lame server thats not nom.

I caught Bacon with 20+ last night, I had a blast. But then after one round for some reason the bulk of the players left and it became 4v4 or somethin like that.

Yea I've noticed that you need to be more credit to team now :P I was in a match a couple days ago and we had 3 snipers 1 or 2 spies on a 8 person team....didn't turn out well. But that's the teams fault, people that go sniper or spy when there are already plenty of them know they are not being good for the team. I think one of the reasons that bacon and eggs are empty is because not nearly as many people know about those as they do the main. Whenever I make youtube videos from the main people ask for the ip. I give it to them but I think I'll start giving them eggs and bacons ip too.

I have to agree with Pixel. I've been playing on nom for a while, and until the maxplayers change I wasn't even aware that eggs existed.

Although, a couple days ago I noticed main had a spot, so I joined up and played for a while. Very fun, challenging game, better than I've played in a long time. Even the 24 playercount on eggs helps promote more teamwork than I usually see. Much better than a 32 player funfest lag-out.

I think some of this boils down to people fretting over brand naming. If Eggs name was switched to "Main," and Main's name to "Ratpack, Gourmet, Cheddar" etc, I gurantee 50% or more of the complaints would fizzle-out and disapear.

I think people in general always deviate towards the "flagship/parent" server first, and pay not much mind to the "child/sister" servers. It's just a default setting most people have without even realizing it.

I also think there are some limelight seekers in our general population that think that if they play on the child/sister servers, they won't get their 15 minutes of YouTube fame.

There's also some people here who probably stare at HLStatsX all-day, everyday and probably won't admit they play on main only for that reason.

There is a fairly large list of charismatic regulars here, that if they went to eggs or bacon, would easily drag 10-15 people with them wherever they go. Those people should know who they are already. All it takes is stepping into those empty servers to make them no longer empty. As one person mentioned, give it 15-30 minutes, and usually the server is over half full already during prime gaming hours.

shows how much you're on eggs because the big message with "THIS SERVER IS BEING TRACKED WITH HLSTATS. 1000 HEADSHOTS OUT OF 10000 KILLS 10%" pops up every few minutes ;)

shows how much you're on eggs because the big message with "THIS SERVER IS BEING TRACKED WITH HLSTATS. 1000 HEADSHOTS OUT OF 10000 KILLS 10%" pops up every few minutes ;)

You are right. Prior to the player max switch, I was always on Main and not Eggs. I'm a heretic who doesn't like playing with friends-only all the time. Hang me from the gallows for being such a anti-social deviant. ^_^

Personaly, I liked to play with a high number of players. Don't mind playing on Bacon or Egg with 24 as a cap.

But when I log onto steam, those servers are empty!

And all the cool people are at the main server! It's always full and I have to click "Join game" for 30 mins straight if I want a spot! D:

Well, guess I have to wait 6 months to gain my reserved slot...

I put hlstats on eggs, I forgot to disable all the annoying ingame crap. It should be quiet now.

Why thank you ^_^.

Personaly, I liked to play with a high number of players. Don't mind playing on Bacon or Egg with 24 as a cap.

But when I log onto steam, those servers are empty!

And all the cool people are at the main server! It's always full and I have to click "Join game" for 30 mins straight if I want a spot! D:

I need to enable my messages so I can see people messaging me in-game. I can go to eggs or bacon with someone and if there are 2 people in the server people will start to join pretty fast. Just message me and I might go, but if I'm not even in-game then I can't get on...probably to busy with school stuff or something.

I'm going to repost this here since we have a lot people commenting about reserved slots, and their lack of having one:

As posted here: What Makes us Different?

***Reserved slots***

How to get a slot

To get a slot, you have to play here regularly, be respectful, mature, and be liked by the admins. The process works by an admin nominates you to the rest of us, and if approved, they get a slot. If you know any admins, you can ask them nicely ONE TIME to recommend you, and if they don't, just shut up about it. If an admin nomiates you, and you end up being a jerk, they are on the hook, so you're basically asking them to risk their own reputation by recommending you, and you shouldn't think these are given out lightly.

Ok, I need to stop here and point something out to the kids that read this and think that means to join the server and ask "are there any admins here?". No, surprisingly we don't just give reserved slots to people that shout "someone give me a slot!". If you pester us, that only makes a case for not adding you. We actively look for new people that we like to add, so if you're annoying, talk way too much on the mic, or are otherwise detract from the experience when you're on the server, don't expect a slot.

Do not make any posts here asking for a slot.

Time is not a requirement, folks. It's not a popularity contest either.

Getting a reserved slot for the most part breaks down to three core parts:

Notability = The state or quality of being notable.

Observance = The ability to observe and obey all rules and guidelines, The ability to observe and respect the feelings of others.

Morality = The drive to do the right thing even when nobody is looking. To do good and add to the community as a whole.

You follow those simple guidlines. You can't go wrong.

It looks as if not many people in general are coming by to play on the Nom servers recently. School did just start and all.

Maybe changing both Main and Bacon to 16 players, Eggs stays at 24, and we see what happens there?